By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump: 'Nobody Really Knows' If Climate Change Is Real

F*ck him. He is a walking disaster. I still can't believe people voted for that narcisistic clown. It will be four extremely hard years, but thank god time passes quickly.

Around the Network
etking said:

The climate is very complex and not understood at all, thus predictions are impossible. (Statement by the the IPCC Working Group I, if they admit that predictions are impossible, why are we talking about predicted global warming).

And the effects of CO2 are minimal, it would violate the laws of physics and aerodynamics if CO2 had a larger effect. CO2 is not bad, it is essential for all life to exist and leads to global greening. Also the climate changed very little in the last hundred years and is always changing since the earth was born. It goes from warmer ages to ice ages to warmer ages and so on and will never stop changing.

I am not an expert on the matter myself. But after talking to several physicists and aerodynamics engineers, they convinced me that the predicted link between CO2 and warming must be minimal and cannot be the major cause for climate change. In the peak of an an average warm age there will be and has always been no ice on the north and south pole. So trying to keep the temperature change smalll in order to prevent the ice from melting is useless anyway. Because it will melt completely and after that there will be an ice age as it always happend in the last hundreds of millions of years.

you know who never lived during a warm age? homo-family species

the current ice age (a term which means that there are polar ice caps present during the whole year) has started 15 million years ago and even the earliest human precursurs we found only date back to 4.5 million years ago

so our kind and our known eco-system thrives in an ice age and a switch to a warm age is very much potentially desastrous to us, so even if CO2/human activity isn't the real culprit endagering our way of life we have lots of good evidence that it might be, so the logical consequence has to be to limit CO2 emission severely

a certain lvl of CO2 concentration (200-250ppm) seems to be necessary for earth to be warm enough (even the video you linked to earlier agrees with that!!) and not completely freeze over (obviously depending also on solar activity/earth's orbit/distribution of continents on earth/..), but we went from 290ppm to 400ppm in the span of 100 years, which is a gigantic increase in very very little time geologically speaking

JRPGfan said:
SpokenTruth said:

Thank you.  I was about to say much the same.

This experiment was replicated by others and almost universally found no replication of the results.  Both controls and variables grew the same.  To replicate their results, many people had to intentionally harm the integrity of the variable.

I actually didnt know that, is that true?

first googled result I checked:  https://cressinfo.com/wifi-experiment/

Seem to point to there being a effect, just not nearly as drastic as that of the danish school's test.

Being placed on top of something which creates a lot of heat has an impact on plants! What will poor science teach us next? Perhaps that being on the right hand side of a room (as viewed in this picture) is good for plant life, as such we should only plant forests on the eastern side of countries for maximum growth potential!

Sorry JRPGfan but yeah this TPlink router pictured here would have a wifi broadcast range of at the very least 150M even for its lowest range wifi signals, what is going on here is researcher or Experimenter Bias and really has little to do with what is being suggested is causing the effect which is being displayed, the fact that it's a wifi router is completely not what is causing the effect here, you could equally replace the router in this picture with an Xbox360 (original no wifi model just so that doesn't come into question) and claim that Xbox360's cause Cress to die... the result would be more drastic if you placed them behind the console too, if you jammed them right into the air vents you could use the study to show that not only do Xbox 360s cause harm to plants growth but also show that Cress causes Xbox360s to break if it's in the same room as them!

Additionally - JRPGfan on that first result you found googling Wifi cress experiment the conclusion of it is

" However, there are still too many factors outside the Wi-Fi radiation that can also affect the results. The tray with cress sprouts on the router is easily a few degrees warmer. We can conclude that there are negative effects of the router but that is probably not due to Wi-Fi radiation.

So we can say we kind of reproduced the original Danish results a bit but we do not think this is due to radiation."

Here is the first result when you Google "Human body temperature"

Human body temperature
 Core (rectal, esophageal, etc.)
Hypothermia <35.0 °C (95.0 °F)
Normal 36.5–37.5 °C (97.7–99.5 °F)
Fever >37.5 or 38.3 °C (99.5 or 100.9 °F)
Hyperthermia >37.5 or 38.3 °C (99.5 or 100.9 °F)

Just to note that if you go just 1.5 degree's lower than normal (which would be deemed as less than a couple, not a few, a few is 3 or more normally when using this vague term) you are in Hypothermia aka, too low and going to die. And if you go just .8 degree's over normal... you are in Fever range and again... on your way to dying.

To play off trying to live "easily a few degrees warmer" as something that wouldn't cause massive adverse effects is insane considering if that was a human heated that much we would be dead.

Edit - Big edit required here btw!! I'm not at all trying to say that you should strap Routers all over your body or start to heat your house solely by going into the power settings of our Wifi routers and turning the broadcast power to max... I completely concede that Wifi has not been in use for long enough to know of any negative effects it is having on humans, 802.11 or Wifi was just created 25 years ago and could completely be the cause of harm to human bodys or plant life without us having noticed it yet. All my point is, this cress dying experiment, does not show anything related to Wifi danger.

Also fun trivia quiz for anyone reading this, Don't cheat and google it! (you will do to find the answer out because I won't provide it!) But

What does WiFi stand for? as in, what is it short for we use it everyday so do people know what it is short for?  Answers only in spoiler text plix!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Flilix said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:

It's been proven by maths.

Climate change has been proven by liberal science, apples, oranges.

Liberal science? What does that even mean?

Pixie dust and magic carpets.

UnderstatedCornHole said:
Flilix said:

Liberal science? What does that even mean?

Pixie dust and magic carpets.

These 'liberal scientists' you were talking about are probably the least superstitious people in the world.

They know you should do research instead of just believing what other people say.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
Its amusing. Your house could be on fire, and I'm thinking that some of you would still be saying 'Prove it.'

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

IsawYoshi said:
Flilix said:

Well... God made the earth and since God is perfect he wouldn't make such a dumb mistake, right?
He loves us, so he will help us when times are hard (like he always did in the past?)
So we shouldn't care about things like climate change, we can do whatever we want.

By the way, why would we believe scientists? They lied about the evolution theory and about the earth being round too.

(This is not my opinion, but this is how some religious people seem to think.)

As far as I remember the bible says something about creating humans with free will. So I would presume this means that we are able to screw up earth if we want to, even from a human perspective.

I mean, I doubt many christians, or other religious would think that the nuclear threat during the cold war was made up because god wouldn't allow it. Christianity, and probably other religions to without me knowing anything about it more than opens up for us screwing up everything.

The popes scientist (in the 1500s or something) once said the rings of saturn were remnants from jesus' foreskin. So they are right in believing that scientists aren't always right...

I know quite a few devout christians here at med. School that have no problem accepting these theories. This is because they look at the bible as moral teachings, not just a lot of 100% true stories. I wish more were like them, but hey, what could you do?

Apparently, most of these people seem to think that scientists say that climate change will destroy the earth.

Sometimes God lets us suffer (because he loves us? There was a reason for our suffering, but I can't remember), but he would never completly destroy his earth.

Luckily, I don't know any of these people in real life.

Lawlight said:
bunchanumbers said:
Its amusing. Your house could be on fire, and I'm thinking that some of you would still be saying 'Prove it.'

Your post makes absolutely no sense.

The beauty of it is that it really does make sense.

Flilix said:

Apparently, most of these people seem to think that scientists say that climate change will destroy the earth.

Sometimes God lets us suffer (because he loves us? There was a reason for our suffering, but I can't remember), but he would never completly destroy his earth.

To assume that a particular God is going to interfere with "Earth" is a baseless assumption, ignoring the fact there is no evidence to support the existence of a deity anyway. - Regardless of which of the several thousand Gods you believe in.

This Earth will eventually be destroyed when Sol (Our Sun) becomes a Red Giant. Our Atmosphere, oceans, everything, will be evaporated. - It is just a matter of time, not if. - And there is nothing any of the thousands of Gods that various people believe in, will do to stop it.
The Suns fuel is finite.

As for Climate Change. It is real. Majority of scientists, weather researches, institutions/organizations/governments support it's happening.

There is undeniable proof.

We have records from Tree rings that points to increases in carbon.
We have records in our Arctic regions via Ice-pole gathering that points to increases of Carbon and other gases.
We have recorded what gases take up what amount in our atmosphere for decades, which has seen constitent increases in Carbon.
We have recorded increases in sea levels.
We have recorded increases in carbonic acid in our oceans.
We have recoded increases in desertification.
We have recorded average increases in temperature.
We have recorded increases in catastrophic weather events.

We can observe the effect that Carbon has in trapping thermal radiation in a scientific laboratory. Ergo. Carbon would have the *exact* same effect in our atmosphere trapping thermal radiation from our Sun.

The only people who can deny Climate Change are idiots or who have an ulterior motive. (Aka. Money.)
Trump is clearly both, an idiot and has an ulterior motive. (Business.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Flilix said:

To assume that a particular God is going to interfere with "Earth" is a baseless assumption, ignoring the fact there is no evidence to support the existence of a deity anyway. - Regardless of which of the several thousand Gods you believe in.

I know, but for some people the bible/quran/... is a scientific and historically correct book. These books are 'written by God' so that's evidence enough for them. Their whole live is based on this book, so there can't be any mistakes in it. If there would be some mistakes, other things might be incorrect too, so that would make their lives worthless. That's why they deny anything that could suggest their book was wrong.