By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the game industry headed for a new crash?

A CRASH IS COMING?

Yes. 42 18.18%

No. 117 50.65%

Maybe. 44 19.05%

It is the smartphones. 28 12.12%

Total:231
SegataSanshiro said:
Intrinsic said:

This is not true at all.... this is a very common misconception that anyone who bothers to avtually look at whats out there will see its false. Now I'm not even going to mention indies, because that will make the list of new IPs too long, but right off the top of my head...

Days gone, horizon, the order, driveclub, bloodborne, Spiderman,  quantum break, scale bound, sea of thieves, overwatch, watchdogs, the division, the last guardian, no mans sky, star wars battlefront, destiny, death stranding, Splatoon,........etc

And I'm sure I'm missing a ton of new IPs, and I'm not even mentioning complete reboots like God of war and resident evil where the game is only similar in name but could as well be completely new games. 

so what is this talk about no new IPs..... 

Spiderman a new IP? ROFL.

..... So if a nee developer comes and makes another batman game, simoly because its called batman its not a new IP?

but tell you what, take it off thr new IP list and add it to the re-imagining list. Thats drops my new IP list from 18 to 17.....and mind you, i have missed a lot of games from that list. Like dreams, wild, Hellblade, kingdom come, cyberpunk, detroit, and just like that I've given you six more.

oh....add every PSVr title in that list cause almost 95% of them are new IPs.

And remember, not a peep on indies, like the witness, inside, ori, firewatch, child of light, resogun, cuphead, drifter, transistor.....etc

So really, what exactly is your point? I dare say we are seeing more new IPs in these first three years than we did in the first three years of last gen. 

go on, find something else to laugh at or admit you were wrong.....

Around the Network

I believe there will be a "recession" of sorts, but not a full-on crash.

However, what should be noted is that the 1983 Video Game Crash was mainly induced by a saturation of low-quality software and copycat hardware devices. Neither of these two factors exist in today's market, so I don't really believe anything really drastic is going to happen.

Intrinsic said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Spiderman a new IP? ROFL.

..... So if a nee developer comes and makes another batman game, simoly because its called batman its not a new IP?

but tell you what, take it off thr new IP list and add it to the re-imagining list. Thats drops my new IP list from 18 to 17.....and mind you, i have missed a lot of games from that list. Like dreams, wild, Hellblade, kingdom come, cyberpunk, detroit, and just like that I've given you six more.

oh....add every PSVr title in that list cause almost 95% of them are new IPs.

And remember, not a peep on indies, like the witness, inside, ori, firewatch, child of light, resogun, cuphead, drifter, transistor.....etc

So really, what exactly is your point? I dare say we are seeing more new IPs in these first three years than we did in the first three years of last gen. 

go on, find something else to laugh at or admit you were wrong.....

It's not a NEW IP at all. Oh hey look Sonic Boom is a new IP. No  it's just another version of the same IP.  You also misundertood. You interpreted as less new IPs than remakes. I just said there is less new IPs and that is very much true.

SegataSanshiro said:

It's not a NEW IP at all. Oh hey look Sonic Boom is a new IP. No  it's just another version of the same IP.  You also misundertood. You interpreted as less new IPs than remakes. I just said there is less new IPs and that is very much true.

sheesh ok take off spiderman from that then. 

But even at that, there sre more new IPs than there are remakes. 

I have given you 24 new IPs (excluded Spiderman, indie games, remakes/reimagined games, VR titles) And my list is not even anywhere near complete..... I strongly doubt there are more remakes or remasters than there are new IPs. 

There is no doubt a constriction, but I don't even like tbat term, I will call it more of a focus, which ties to your point about games costing more to make these days. But no, there are still more new IPs being released. 

Yes it is, it was shown off at PSX did you miss it? :o

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

The industry will not crash. Look In Japan which have worst economic situation and population decline and the industry hasn't crashed. The franchises are only going down because gaming is not as popular. At worst we will not crash but a slow decline like Japan.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

also maybe you should just take a glance at game industry revenue over the last 10yrs.

Zkuq said:
niceguygameplayer said:

So what is going on? 

Mobile gaming, probably. Gaming is mainstream enough to not crash at this point anymore. There could be some fluctuations, but not a crash.

Mobile gaming is filled with quick rises to the top and then slow death crawls.  I'm actually surprised Zynga actually still exists.  Rovio is probably somehow bleeding cash even after making a movie (not many people give a shit about angry birds anymore).  King probably isn't doing too hot either.  Most of them are just surving on a few big whales while they barely pull in the microtransaction from a majority of their players.  Tis the life in a f2p world.  You live and die by the sword.

cosmic_drift said:
I believe there will be a "recession" of sorts, but not a full-on crash.

However, what should be noted is that the 1983 Video Game Crash was mainly induced by a saturation of low-quality software and copycat hardware devices. Neither of these two factors exist in today's market, so I don't really believe anything really drastic is going to happen.

Any reason why you think there'll be a gaming "recession"?

Intrinsic said:

No.

And you have what I will call numbers blindness.

It's when you look at numbers and only see what you want to see or somehow make the numbers to support whatever you already have in your head; all the while ignoring or not noticing all the relevant information that would disprove your theory..... eg.

GT6 was released in the same year the PS4 was released.

Sales of all the games you mentioned are down are of long standing series that had peaked and are seeing a decline.

Ignored sales of series that are selling better than ever, eg Uncharted 4.

Ignored new chart toppers like overwatch and even the new doom, destiny....eye

ignored digital sales which accounts for 30% sales relative to physical sales. 

Ignored the fact that there have been more software sales between the xb1/PS4 in three years than there was in 4yrs on the PS3/360.

Also ignored that the GoW game you mentioned being down (ascension) was pretty much a spin off.

I could go on and on..... but I think I have shown you that you aren't looking at your numbers the way you should have looked at them.

Are you sure that 3 out of 10 purcahses on consoles are full game downloads? Last year, there were numbers out of (I think) NPD which contradicted that.