By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No new IP has sold 25m+ on consoles for the last 10 years.

Its hard for any IP to sell 25m much less a new one. When you're talking 25m+ you're talking about genre defining, cultural hits that echo for years in the minds of gamers.

Around the Network
TheGreatOther said:
How many games really even sell 25 million?lol
Other than CoD and GTA, the rest only got to that number due to them being mandatory purchases with hardware, like all those Wii titles.

NSMB managed to get to 20m before any bundles. Not a new IP but there hadn't been a home console SMB since the SNES.

AnmolRed said:

new IP's doing 5-10 million can be considered a succes, then the next installments can build off thenm,though its true there has been no giant new ip since gta,pokemon or cod

cosmic_drift said:
Most new IP able to sell this much ended up becoming cultural phenomena, but I don't think that should be the primary measure for a game's success.

bunchanumbers said:
Its hard for any IP to sell 25m much less a new one. When you're talking 25m+ you're talking about genre defining, cultural hits that echo for years in the minds of gamers.

It's not just 10m and 25m.

1m+ sellers 2006-2009 = 90+/370 (New/Total)

New 1m+ sellers 2013-2016 = 28/150 (ish)

2007 alone had 27/~100 new 1m+ IPs.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

xl-klaudkil said:
Let me guess,your trying to imply consoles are dying and pc games mostly sell 25+ mill.

You got me. Now I just need to find some 25m+ sellers on PC. What games come free with Windows 10?

Pyro as Bill said:

I think RDR2 might be able to hit 20m depending on available install base.

Huh!?!?! Why would RDR2 count...

But yeah I'm not surprised by this.

Pyro as Bill said:
TheGreatOther said:
How many games really even sell 25 million?lol
Other than CoD and GTA, the rest only got to that number due to them being mandatory purchases with hardware, like all those Wii titles.

NSMB managed to get to 20m before any bundles. Not a new IP but there hadn't been a home console SMB since the SNES.

AnmolRed said:

new IP's doing 5-10 million can be considered a succes, then the next installments can build off thenm,though its true there has been no giant new ip since gta,pokemon or cod

cosmic_drift said:
Most new IP able to sell this much ended up becoming cultural phenomena, but I don't think that should be the primary measure for a game's success.

bunchanumbers said:

That's because there's barely any new IPs these days. Since this generation started these are the only new IPs that have been released or even announced for the future by major publishers:

EA:

Titanfall

UFC 

Unravel

Nintendo:

Splatoon

The Wonderful 101

Ubisoft:

The Crew

Watch Dogs

For Honor

Child of Light

MS Studios:

Ryse 

Sunset Overdrive

Quantum Break

Recore 

Scalebound

Crimson Dragon

Ori and the Blind Forest

Screamride 

Sony:

Bloodborne

Horizon Zero Dawn

The Last Guardian

Detroit: Become Human

Dreams

Until Dawn

Driveclub

The Order 1886

Knack

Death Stranding

Days Gone

The Tomorrow Children

WiLD

What Remains of Edith Finch

Drawn to Death

Kill strain

Alienation

Matterfall

Bound

Helldivers

Resogun

Hohokum

Guns Up

Entwined

Most publishers don't even want to invest in new IPs anymore, Sony is the only one willing to throw money at games that don't have a brand name already.

Around the Network

I really wouldn't take 25 million sold as some benchmark, since that's a number which only a handful of games at best achieve during any given generation. Even 10 million copies sold is a rare achievement with maybe 1 or 2 games a year reaching that during most years.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the period between 2006 and 2009 was more an exception than an indicator of the past in general. Then again, it is quite possible with the constant rise in the cost of video game development that most developers are hesitant to put a lot of money and marketing behind new IPs, which could explain the lower number in recent year.

25m+ is ridiculous benchmark.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Barkley said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I think RDR2 might be able to hit 20m depending on available install base.

Huh!?!?! Why would RDR2 count...

But yeah I'm not surprised by this.

It doesn't but it's the only game I can think of that might go on to break 20m (for the 1st time) this gen.

TheGreatOther said:
Pyro as Bill said:

That's because there's barely any new IPs these days. Since this generation started these are the only new IPs that have been released or even announced for the future by major publishers:

EA:

Titanfall

UFC 

Unravel

Nintendo:

Splatoon

The Wonderful 101

Ubisoft:

The Crew

Watch Dogs

For Honor

Child of Light

MS Studios:

Ryse 

Sunset Overdrive

Quantum Break

Recore 

Scalebound

Crimson Dragon

Ori and the Blind Forest

Screamride 

Sony:

Bloodborne

Horizon Zero Dawn

The Last Guardian

Detroit: Become Human

Dreams

Until Dawn

Driveclub

The Order 1886

Knack

Death Stranding

Days Gone

The Tomorrow Children

WiLD

What Remains of Edith Finch

Drawn to Death

Kill strain

Alienation

Matterfall

Bound

Helldivers

Resogun

Hohokum

Guns Up

Entwined

Most publishers don't even want to invest in new IPs anymore, Sony is the only one willing to throw money at games that don't have a brand name already.

Gaming wouldn't be the same without Sony this gen.  Just look at that list of new IPs.  Now wonder almost everyone wants a playstation. 

WC4Life said:
25m+ is ridiculous benchmark.

9 "new" IPs managed to hit 20m+ last generation and that doesn't include their sequels.