By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No new IP has sold 25m+ on consoles for the last 10 years.

SnakeDrake said:
Everything on the switch will hit that record.

Sure, like the Wii U?

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Kerotan said:

Gaming wouldn't be the same without Sony this gen.  Just look at that list of new IPs.  Now wonder almost everyone wants a playstation. 

Making new IPs isn't hard.

Making new IPs that can sell at least 1m or 5m for a first party is the hard part.

Sony are very good at making new IPs that sell over 1m. That's quite the compliment you've paid them there. 

Conina said:
Pyro as Bill said:

1m+ sellers 2006-2009 = 90+/370 (New/Total)

New 1m+ sellers 2013-2016 = 28/150 (ish)

2007 alone had 27/~100 new 1m+ IPs.

How many of these 90+/370 (New/Total) games reached 1m+ sellers until 12/31/2009?

You are comparing sales of 3 years with sales of a lot more than 3 years.

Most get superceded by sequels though.

2007: CoD, Assassin's, Bioshock, Crysis, Crackdown, DiRT, M+S, Mass Effect, Pf Layton, Portal, Uncharted, Warhawk, Wii Fit.

I don't see anything similar to 2007 for this gen. Not yet anyway.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Kerotan said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Making new IPs isn't hard.

Making new IPs that can sell at least 1m or 5m for a first party is the hard part.

Sony are very good at making new IPs that sell over 1m. That's quite the compliment you've paid them there. 

If all of these are new IPs, then yeah, great job.

The Last of Us
DriveClub
Until Dawn
The Order: 1886
Bloodborne
Nintendo Land
Tomodachi Life
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Mario Maker
Splatoon

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:
SWORDF1SH said:

What are those 9 new IPs again? OP is a bit of a mess to understand. 

Minecraft, Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Kinect Adventures, CoD*, NSMB*.

*reboot

1. Call of Duty 4 isn't a reboot.

2. Several of those are franchises created during the motion gaming fad and have totally died off. Selling 25 million is great, but not if they don't last more than 5 years.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

Sea of Thieves does not deserve to be forgotten!

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Pyro as Bill said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Ok, not to sound rude but what's the point of the thread? What are you trying to say? 

I really do not mean to sound rude but no reasons were given in OP.

Breakout IPs are good for the industry and who doesn't like a new massive cultural phenomena?

It's not just massive sellers though, new, successful IPs in general seem to be massively down. Most of the biggies have declined/maybe declining. Where's their replacements?

First off CoD and NSMB shouldn't be on the list. Also few of those games were mandatory items with hardware. Even if you look at the list, most of the games are bad, uninspired casual shit.

If there is a decline in people buying established IPs and new IPs, it might not actually be a bad thing. It could mean that sales are spread out amongst a wider range of games. That would be a good thing. Or it could be smaller console install base to sell to because of WiiUs and, to a lesser extent, XB1s failure to shift off shelves.

I think we need more data.

TheGreatOther said:

Most publishers don't even want to invest in new IPs anymore, Sony is the *main* one willing to throw money at games that don't have a brand name already.

Fixed that for ya :)

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

25m is too high a bar even to old, stablished and popular franchises. So I see no issue here. New IPs getting to 3-5m should be considered very successfull.

Pyro as Bill said:

25m+ Completely New

Minecraft has managed over 100m spread across multiple platforms and generations. (360/PS3 managed 16m exc digital)

20m+ New/25m+ Reboot*

Kinect Adventures:2010

*NSMB:2009

Wii Fit:2007

*CoD4 MW: 2007 (16m, later versions sold 25m+)

2006-Wii Sports, Wii Play. 2005-Nintendogs, Brain Age

10m+ New/Peaked

Destiny:2014

Batman Arkham:2009

Just Dance:2009

Assassin's Creed:2007

Guitar Hero 3:2007(Guitar Hero:2005)

Red Dead Redemption:2010(Revolver:2004)

2007 seems to be the record holder for 1m+ new/rebooted IPs. I think I can count 26.

Will there be a new or rebooted 20-25m IP this gen? I think RDR2 might be able to hit 20m depending on available install base.

Interesting, can you make a thread to inform us about the +50M and +100M sellers. It's very important.