By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 to hit 2m in UK next week (Chart-Track)

John_Doe said:
ioi said:
A 130k difference in a figure of 2 million is less than 7% difference so hardly "miles out" is it?

For people's info the difference between our figures and Chart Track's for 360 comes from 2006 and early 2007. In the last 12 months our figures agree almost perfectly. As always, we use manufacturer info to check our data against which is why we disagree with CT on early 360 data. But like I say, 130k difference over 2 1/2 years on a figure of 2 million isn't what I'd call a major issue. Especially since our PS3 figure is also around 60k higher than CT

of course, but the lack of adjustements with official sources (NPD, or others) is ruining the reputation of the web trough internet, in my opinion

I've always loved vgchartz as a good source to get info from the past adjusted to official sources and as a market indicator wich works very well with a little part of the market being covered

So you're saying that vgchartz should adjust to what the "internet" is happy with?

As far as I see it, either Chart Track or vgchartz could be correct (or anything in between). The numbers are close enough.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

ein? I've said vgchartz should adjust with NPD, GFK, chart-track and Media create or famitsu

of course these are estimations too, but with a 60% or more of market cover

and of course, it's only my opinion :)

John_Doe said:
ein? I've said vgchartz should adjust with NPD, GFK, chart-track and Media create or famitsu

of course these are estimations too, but with a 60% or more of market cover

and of course, it's only my opinion :)

I was refering to the part where you said vgchartz's reputation is damaged by not always adjusting to those sources. It may be partly true, but my point is that ioi's objective isn't to please people on the internet, it's to have the most accurate numbers.

Sooner or later, if those sources were right and vgchartz was wrong by a significant margin, the numbers will get adjusted after shipment reports, which are the only 100% accurate measure of sales (albeit to retailers).

Good for the 360. Strong chance of it hitting 3 million in the UK.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Also, let me add that it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

If ioi doesn't adjust to official sources, people will complain he's overtracking/undertracking their favorite/disliked consoles. If he does, he's criticized for stealing their numbers as his own.

The correct choice lies in between those two extremes, and I think ioi is doing a great job of it in most cases, as far as I remember. He has adjusted to different sources at times, and he has adjusted each console up or down regardless of personal bias.

Around the Network
ioi said:
A 130k difference in a figure of 2 million is less than 7% difference so hardly "miles out" is it?

For people's info the difference between our figures and Chart Track's for 360 comes from 2006 and early 2007. In the last 12 months our figures agree almost perfectly. As always, we use manufacturer info to check our data against which is why we disagree with CT on early 360 data. But like I say, 130k difference over 2 1/2 years on a figure of 2 million isn't what I'd call a major issue. Especially since our PS3 figure is also around 60k higher than CT

Not sure to understand your argument about "from 2006 and early 2007" because 360 figures were adjusted at the end of september 2007 with the number 1,400 000 give by chart track himself. And your actual number at the end of september 2007 is 1,415 000, so the 130 000 difference now is more important that you said because concern only the sales since end september 20007 which represent 600 000 from chart track, and so 715 000 from vgchartz. But yes, it's not so bad, even for the last six month.

John_Doe said:
ioi said:
Figures agree pretty closely with what we have, I love how people jump in so quickly. Small decrease for 360 this week and small increase for PS3. Not the huge PS3 figures some were expecting since last week saw such a boost for easter. It is hard to improve much on an already large figure.

Same goes for GT5P. It did ~120k in the UK this week so why people are thinking 700k for Europe is a little crazy, especially when UK always sees larger week 1 sales and faster dropoffs.

yes. Have to say I'm impressed with the data. When GFK numbers from france appeared, your estimations were so close.

150.000 in 2 million is not horrible

From which number do you speak? Because, i always remember of the number of 430 000 xbox 360 at the launch of halo 3 in France. Actual number of vgchartz at this date are not so close you seems to say (494 k for vgchartz).

In comparison to the last number we have from gfk:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=14512

wii: 1,47 m, ps3: 630 k, and 360: 610 k at a date in march (BKK 2 don't sure about the date of the numbers, maybe 17 march or 2 march), are not so close with vgchartz numbers

Because at vgchartz: week ended 1 march: wii: 1,67 m, ps3: 680 k, 360: 635 k, and the number of gfk could concern the week ending 15 march.

ioi said:

It would be pretty good without verifiable information over this period, however we do get information regularly for the UK and data is often adjusted. The UK should be relatively easy to track compared to much of Europe and most of the  rest of the world. US (NPD) and Japan (Media Create) are easiest.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

ioi said:
I guess you should be running vgchartz then Mike B, since you know so much about it all

No, I think you are doing a great job with the website. I just hope consistency with other trackers will improve a bit further. Note I am primarily following PS3 vs 360 sales trends, I don't have the stamina to track all you are trying to accomplish.

IMO take any criticism from me as an effort to help improve your own efforts.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales