By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games like Last Guardian are pushing the medium as an art form yet "gamers" are grumpy and mad

Ka-pi96 said:
ps3-sales! said:

I don't think you understand what art is. *Sigh*

I understand perfectly what art is. Stuff that old/pretentious people like.

Aww how cute a middle school gamer.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

Yes it's such a form of art that each frame stays longer on the screen than necesary. Besides isn't every game some sort of art since its made by artists. This might be a more abstract and more direct form of art, something which we like to call artistic. But every game is a form of art in one way or another. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

"Art" is too big of a word to act like its a genre of its own. I, personally, consider a lot of games like Witcher 3 or Bloodborne to be very art-directed, and I personally love different art directions in games because it translates into different ways to play and experience videogames as a whole. For me, however, "artsy" games, are not excluded from having to be fun.

Great gameplay is an art as much the visuals, story, and the unique hook of the game.

The reality is very few games fire on all four of these cylinders. TLG appears to hit 3/4 really well. That's really good.

Really only a select few get all four right. We're talking Chrono Trigger, OoT type territory there. TLG is great, but doesn't cross over there just yet.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I've played the game for more than 6 hours now, dunno why the gameplay is considered outdated. Is it just a phrase thrown out there to describe slower gameplay where you need to pay a bit more attention to what you're doing? Is any sort of platforming that doesn't play itself that's outdated? Are puzzles in general outdated? Or is it the linear progression that is outdated?

I'm loving the gameplay, the pace, the interaction. But I'm outdated as well I guess. TLG is already my goty, Rez Infinite a close second and DC VR at third place, then The way, a retro cinematic platformer. Seem I like outdated gameplay. Rotr put me to sleep and U4 was absolutely gorgeous yet the platforming and puzzles were too easy and instantly forgettable.

Around the Network

I don't understand the point of the thread, exactly.

I don't know if trusting the opinions of people unfamiliar with the medium is a good idea, and I'm still not convinced video games are art, or should even aspire to be so.

SvennoJ said:
I've played the game for more than 6 hours now, dunno why the gameplay is considered outdated. Is it just a phrase thrown out there to describe slower gameplay where you need to pay a bit more attention to what you're doing? Is any sort of platforming that doesn't play itself that's outdated? Are puzzles in general outdated? Or is it the linear progression that is outdated?

I'm loving the gameplay, the pace, the interaction. But I'm outdated as well I guess. TLG is already my goty, Rez Infinite a close second and DC VR at third place, then The way, a retro cinematic platformer. Seem I like outdated gameplay. Rotr put me to sleep and U4 was absolutely gorgeous yet the platforming and puzzles were too easy and instantly forgettable.

Don´t know about outdated, but I´m about 6 hours into the game and my main complaints are somewhat clunky controls and sometimes Trico just won´t listen, there was a section where he had to jump up and I spent nearly 7 minutes pointing in that direction, asking him to go there and nothing.This game is great but it´s also an exercise in frustration.

Ka-pi96 said:
eh, art is overrated. I`d much rather watch an action packed Hollywood film than look at some old painting by some dead guy. Why should games be any different? Fun, exciting games >(*infinite) artsy games.

I agree, all these walking sims, and artsy titles, that just heavily use puzzles to push forward are just meh when it comes down to it, and the enjoyment of them is limited. 

I want to be engaged in gaming, if I wanted art I would go into a genre better suited for it. 

I mean...Those sites still higher gaming journalists to write there reviews...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Jranation said:
I think there was already a metacritic thread?

Nice profile avatar :3