By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games like Last Guardian are pushing the medium as an art form yet "gamers" are grumpy and mad

JGarret said:
SvennoJ said:
I've played the game for more than 6 hours now, dunno why the gameplay is considered outdated. Is it just a phrase thrown out there to describe slower gameplay where you need to pay a bit more attention to what you're doing? Is any sort of platforming that doesn't play itself that's outdated? Are puzzles in general outdated? Or is it the linear progression that is outdated?

I'm loving the gameplay, the pace, the interaction. But I'm outdated as well I guess. TLG is already my goty, Rez Infinite a close second and DC VR at third place, then The way, a retro cinematic platformer. Seem I like outdated gameplay. Rotr put me to sleep and U4 was absolutely gorgeous yet the platforming and puzzles were too easy and instantly forgettable.

Don´t know about outdated, but I´m about 6 hours into the game and my main complaints are somewhat clunky controls and sometimes Trico just won´t listen, there was a section where he had to jump up and I spent nearly 7 minutes pointing in that direction, asking him to go there and nothing.This game is great but it´s also an exercise in frustration.

7 whole minutes, persuading an AI... I guess you never played Black and White :)
Did you try different approaches, distract him first, call him to move over somewhere else. I only had trouble with him once, until I realized I was using the wrong command, confusing him. Frustration to me is having to reload from unfair deaths, repetitive waves of enemies, impatient support characters and getting control taken away constantly cause we'll only let you do the easy parts. So far none of that in TLG.

It's not for everyone. Fights in SotC could last upto half an hour, painstakingly making progress then falling off again running out of grip strength. ICO has the regular attacks to keep you on edge, which could also become frustrating until you figure out where to leave Yorda and how to dispatch them efficiently. TLG has a learning curve too with the controls and interaction with Trico. And still it asks you to slow down and use a lot more finesse with the controls compared to something like Uncharted 4.

Anyway besides the controls, the game makes me smile, already teared me up with the music timed just right, already gave me more holy shit moments than Uncharted 4 and the sense of scale and use of surround sound almost makes me feel like I'm playing in VR without the headset.

Around the Network

Art style is great, but the game still has to be fun for people to rate it well..

Like BotW, it looks really nice, but if the gameplay isn't good, it definitely won't get good ratings

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Gameplay is also part of the art that makes a videogame; the only property unique to the medium. If it is lackluster, critisizme must be given.

And why should people with little experience in videogames have a more valuable opinion on videogames? That's like saying that musicians have poor taste in music.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

I don't think it's fair to slap reviewers so much on the TLG when reviews and reception for it were pretty positive overall. People will probably look back on it pretty fondly so I don't really understand the issue here.

SvennoJ said:
JGarret said:

Don´t know about outdated, but I´m about 6 hours into the game and my main complaints are somewhat clunky controls and sometimes Trico just won´t listen, there was a section where he had to jump up and I spent nearly 7 minutes pointing in that direction, asking him to go there and nothing.This game is great but it´s also an exercise in frustration.

7 whole minutes, persuading an AI... I guess you never played Black and White :)
Did you try different approaches, distract him first, call him to move over somewhere else. I only had trouble with him once, until I realized I was using the wrong command, confusing him. Frustration to me is having to reload from unfair deaths, repetitive waves of enemies, impatient support characters and getting control taken away constantly cause we'll only let you do the easy parts. So far none of that in TLG.

It's not for everyone. Fights in SotC could last upto half an hour, painstakingly making progress then falling off again running out of grip strength. ICO has the regular attacks to keep you on edge, which could also become frustrating until you figure out where to leave Yorda and how to dispatch them efficiently. TLG has a learning curve too with the controls and interaction with Trico. And still it asks you to slow down and use a lot more finesse with the controls compared to something like Uncharted 4.

Anyway besides the controls, the game makes me smile, already teared me up with the music timed just right, already gave me more holy shit moments than Uncharted 4 and the sense of scale and use of surround sound almost makes me feel like I'm playing in VR without the headset.

Yeah.He even kept looking up in the right direction, as if he knew that was the right way to go, but nothing.Anyway, I reloaded the last checkpoint and voila it worked.Other than that kind of thing, I´m very much enjoying it, as I thought I would considering Fumito Ueda games are kinda 'special' in my book.I haven´t beaten TLG yet, but so far SotC remains his best game imo, though I´m enjoying TLG more than I did Ico when I played it for the first time.

Around the Network

Just got a 10 from Washington Post as well. Nearly all the 10s this game got came from reputable non-gaming news outlets.

I just wanted to point out how non-gamers are much more appreciative of these kind of games than those in the industry.

SvennoJ said:
... The way, a retro cinematic platformer. ...

Thanks for the mention, looks fantastic => wishlisted on Steam.

Art is not meant for everyone.

Thats what à famous said one day.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Turkish said:
Just got a 10 from Washington Post as well. Nearly all the 10s this game got came from reputable non-gaming news outlets.

I just wanted to point out how non-gamers are much more appreciative of these kind of games than those in the industry.

Of course, they don't really have the same insight as actual game reviewers do. Same could happen if a gaming outlet would review a movie, for instance. There is no expertise in the review that guarantees it is based on valid criteras.

Not interested in an art exhibit for a game but I can see how people can enjoy it that way.

Personally, controls matter to me so I am going to be skipping this one.

"Legit" Non-Gaming Sources!!!!!! I had to laugh at that one.