By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware estimates in the OP!

Madword said:
aLkaLiNE said:

But this is strictly for Black Friday (the singular day) that we're talking here, a day for the value shopper... So why would we expect people to go out in droves to pick up a Ps4 pro, not only during the busiest shopping day of the year but also on a day when there were no ps4 pro bundles or sales? Now consider that Sony themselves said they were surprised by the amount of first time buyers for the Pro as opposed to early Og adopters double dipping. Would it be reasonable to assume that the pro is siphoning off the slims sales? I think that's reasonable. Again, Sony implied that they thought pro owners would more so be double dippers than people new to the brand.

Now, after taking all that into consideration...last year was Sonys best Black Friday ever for sales in the US. Something like 1.54 million on that day. Why would it be terrible if they didn't perform as well as their best Bf ever which was last year when we know that the Pro didn't have any sales yet people are migrating to the premium model in droves?

I just think it's too early to say much until we see how the month did. With the focus of Black Friday becoming more and more like a week of sales rather than a day, and where the information that we're speculating on only focuses on one single day out of that week, and knowing that there were no extra incentives for people to go after the pro during this day then it starts to become apparent that our dataset is skewed and incomplete.

I'm confused, I thought the 1.0 and 1.1 figures were for the month, not for the BF weekend?

I feel like I just wasted so much time ):

That fact has evaded me this entire time.

edit - then yeah, those numbers are extraordinarily bad. Going back to the "it doesn't make sense, I'm waiting for further evidence" spiel.

Around the Network
aLkaLiNE said:

Um no that leak was for the month.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-book-2
http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-phone-slated-april-2017
Some of the leaks that WC got right.

Turkish said:
KBG29 said:

That would be the end of consoles. PS5 in 2018 would not even be able to double the power of the Pro. It would be the smallest leap in console history. New consoles can't come until 2019 at the earliest. That is the soonest 7nm chips will be available in mas scale. Even at that though I don't think tech will be ready for a new gen PS or Xbox. It is better to brand new devices as enhanced versions of the curent platform until the time comes when a true generational leap can occur. 

The best thing Sony and Microsoft could do going forward is release one final PS4 and XBO revision with around 10 - 12TF GPU's, and 16GB of RAM in 2020 with 7nm. Then when 3nm chips arrive in 2023 or 2024 they can deliver consoles with ~25TF, 128GB of on HBM RAM, and large SSD's. This would offer a full generational leap, and truly be a next gen console.

Sigh so much wrong in this post.

1st of all. Even in the same 14nm node a PS5 in 3 years time will provide a generational leap, because GPUs themselves will evolve and make generational leaps. Vega 10 is 14nm like Polaris and rumored to already reach 12TFLOPZ next year. GTX600 and 900 series were both 28nm but the latter is so much more powerful.

2. If PS4 Pro with its 4.2TFLOPZ had its own exclusives, you would already start to see graphical leaps. It's 2.3x more powerful than a regular PS4, that is halfway between the PS3 and PS4.

3. 7nm is coming by 2019:

TSMC, Q1'16 briefing

"Let me give you first on N10 update. We have received N10 customer product tape-out in 1Q 2016. We are actively preparing for more customer product tape-outs in the following quarters. Most of our N10 [=10nm] users are for mobile products. We will put this technology in production in two of TSMC's 12-inch giga-fabs. Those tape-outs will drive a sizable demand starting from 2Q 2017 through 2018."

"We have expanded our N7 design ecosystem development to include both mobile and high-performance computing, to enable our customers to deliver their first-to-market products. Our N7 adoption is very strong, with customers ranging from mobile GPU, game console, FPGA, network processors and other consumer product applications. We have more than 20 customers in intensive design engagement with us and expect to have 15 customer tape-outs in 2017. The volume production of N7 will start from first half 2018."

"Our 7-nanometer technology development is well on track. Its 256-megabit SRAM yield improvement is ahead of our schedule. In addition, we believe our 7-nanometer PPA, that is power, performance and area density, with its schedule, is ahead of our competitors. This technology has been aggressively adopted, not only by mobile customers, but also by high-performance computing customers. They all have aggressive product tape-out plan in first half 2017, with volume production planned in early 2018."

As you see, it's expected 7nm high end GPUs will start arriving by mid 2018. That is 18 months before Sony will realistically launch the PS5 (holiday 2019).

What this means is that the PS5 will have the same technology of the $250-300 7nm card AMD is planning of at least mid 2018. PS5 is locked to be at minimum 10-12TFLOPZ. 5x faster than the PS4.

While that is enough juice for a next gen 4k experience, I'm hoping they choose something like 1600p-1800p and use as much power on the graphics as they can. They can release a PS5 Pro to render thoe extra 4-500p's later on.

Well, I usually agree with your posts, but this time I will have to be sceptical. I know the schedule for the newer fabrication process's, I check on them at least once a week, it is part of my terrible addiction to the internet. We are basically saying the same thing about 2019 being the earliest realistic time period for the next console. On my end that is based on everything going smoothly in the move to 7nm, however, the move to smaller fabs is almost never smooth, so that is why I feel 2020 may be when the next new console revisions may arrive.

As for generational leaps inside a fab process, I have to completely disagree. There is no way your going to convience me that the leap from the 7970GHz Edition to the R9 Fury X is a generational leap. Sorry, but 2X the performance, even with newer tricks is not a generational leap.  Even PS3 to PS4 was not a true generational leap due to one being a high end 90nm chip and the other being a mid to low end 28nm chip. PS3 to PS4 Pro is more of what we should expect from a generational leap between consoles, and if PS4 and XBO would have launched at $599.99, then we would have got that.

Finally, PS5 has to be a fully capable 4K system. The thought of it not running every game at native 4K/30fps makes my blood boil. Even if they called the next revision PS4 Pro+, I fullly expect native 4K/30fps as a minimum. Honestly, this is what it should be going forward;

PS4 = 900p - 1080p/30fps Min

PS4 Pro = 1440p - 1800p/30fps Min

PS4 Spec 3 = 4K/30fps Min

All of these consoles would run the same games, minor graphicl improvements from PS4 to PS4 spec 3 with the major improvement being the 4x increase in pixels.

PS5 Spec 1 = 4K/30fps Min

PS5 Spec 2 = 6K/30fps Min

PS5 Spec 3 = 8K/30fps Min

PS5 Spec 1 would realize a generational leap over PS4 at 4K, the jump from 12 TF to 25TF GPU, 16GB to 128GB RAM, and 5400rpm HDD to SSD would absolutly blow people away. That is what next gen is about, that is what Sony and MS should be aming for. Everything in between is just a nice option for those that want to be at the spear head of tech. PS4 to PS5 and XBO to XB4 should be something that blows everyone away, and is a must have for the masses.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

CGI-Quality said:
jason1637 said:
http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-book-2
http://www.windowscentral.com/surface-phone-slated-april-2017
Some of the leaks that WC got right.

Was Crapgamer involved? :P

Lol this made me smile.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Turkish said:

Sigh so much wrong in this post.

1st of all. Even in the same 14nm node a PS5 in 3 years time will provide a generational leap, because GPUs themselves will evolve and make generational leaps. Vega 10 is 14nm like Polaris and rumored to already reach 12TFLOPZ next year. GTX600 and 900 series were both 28nm but the latter is so much more powerful.

2. If PS4 Pro with its 4.2TFLOPZ had its own exclusives, you would already start to see graphical leaps. It's 2.3x more powerful than a regular PS4, that is halfway between the PS3 and PS4.

3. 7nm is coming by 2019:

TSMC, Q1'16 briefing

"Let me give you first on N10 update. We have received N10 customer product tape-out in 1Q 2016. We are actively preparing for more customer product tape-outs in the following quarters. Most of our N10 [=10nm] users are for mobile products. We will put this technology in production in two of TSMC's 12-inch giga-fabs. Those tape-outs will drive a sizable demand starting from 2Q 2017 through 2018."

"We have expanded our N7 design ecosystem development to include both mobile and high-performance computing, to enable our customers to deliver their first-to-market products. Our N7 adoption is very strong, with customers ranging from mobile GPU, game console, FPGA, network processors and other consumer product applications. We have more than 20 customers in intensive design engagement with us and expect to have 15 customer tape-outs in 2017. The volume production of N7 will start from first half 2018."

"Our 7-nanometer technology development is well on track. Its 256-megabit SRAM yield improvement is ahead of our schedule. In addition, we believe our 7-nanometer PPA, that is power, performance and area density, with its schedule, is ahead of our competitors. This technology has been aggressively adopted, not only by mobile customers, but also by high-performance computing customers. They all have aggressive product tape-out plan in first half 2017, with volume production planned in early 2018."

As you see, it's expected 7nm high end GPUs will start arriving by mid 2018. That is 18 months before Sony will realistically launch the PS5 (holiday 2019).

What this means is that the PS5 will have the same technology of the $250-300 7nm card AMD is planning of at least mid 2018. PS5 is locked to be at minimum 10-12TFLOPZ. 5x faster than the PS4.

While that is enough juice for a next gen 4k experience, I'm hoping they choose something like 1600p-1800p and use as much power on the graphics as they can. They can release a PS5 Pro to render thoe extra 4-500p's later on.

Well, I usually agree with your posts, but this time I will have to be sceptical. I know the schedule for the newer fabrication process's, I check on them at least once a week, it is part of my terrible addiction to the internet. We are basically saying the same thing about 2019 being the earliest realistic time period for the next console. On my end that is based on everything going smoothly in the move to 7nm, however, the move to smaller fabs is almost never smooth, so that is why I feel 2020 may be when the next new console revisions may arrive.

As for generational leaps inside a fab process, I have to completely disagree. There is no way your going to convience me that the leap from the 7970GHz Edition to the R9 Fury X is a generational leap. Sorry, but 2X the performance, even with newer tricks is not a generational leap.  Even PS3 to PS4 was not a true generational leap due to one being a high end 90nm chip and the other being a mid to low end 28nm chip. PS3 to PS4 Pro is more of what we should expect from a generational leap between consoles, and if PS4 and XBO would have launched at $599.99, then we would have got that.

Finally, PS5 has to be a fully capable 4K system. The thought of it not running every game at native 4K/30fps makes my blood boil. Even if they called the next revision PS4 Pro+, I fullly expect native 4K/30fps as a minimum. Honestly, this is what it should be going forward;

All of these consoles would run the same games, minor graphicl improvements from PS4 to PS4 spec 3 with the major improvement being the 4x increase in pixels.

PS5 Spec 1 would realize a generational leap over PS4 at 4K, the jump from 12 TF to 25TF GPU, 16GB to 128GB RAM, and 5400rpm HDD to SSD would absolutly blow people away. That is what next gen is about, that is what Sony and MS should be aming for. Everything in between is just a nice option for those that want to be at the spear head of tech. PS4 to PS5 and XBO to XB4 should be something that blows everyone away, and is a must have for the masses.

I'm not sure how things stand on AMD's side, but going from GTX600 series to 900 gives definite improvements whether you buy a low or high end card.

I do expect 4k to be minimum on PS5, I just wish they went with ~-1600-1800p for more graphical effects. Just imagine how a native 1080p game would look next gen.

I'd rather they make the PS5 Pro available day 1 and sell at $999 for all the hardcore wanting all the bells and whistles.

Do we only have 1 set of Numbers that were leaked?

Why aren't there more numbers getting leaked?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

tbone51 said:
Kerotan said:

Lol the taunts aren't going to work.  I ain't gonna bite. 

I find it ironic you laughed at me saying how Nintendo fans feel and then go onto claim you know how Nintendo fans feel.  

I tell you right now,  nobody is happy both the Wii U and 3DS have seen massive drops.  3DS will drop over 70m.  Wii U about 83m. 

Meanwhile ps4 will be nicely up on ps3. Probably 30m. Vita will probably end about 68m down on psp.  

Sony will see a net drop of around 30m. Nintendo will see a net drop of around 150m. I know which ship I'd rather be on.  And I'm very happy to be on it. 

Thats a bad way of looking at HW sales. Ps4 is doing well, it could sell less than ps3 and still be miles ahead of what the company wants.

Your looking at it at units only. No offense but 3ds did do well especially in its home country where when you look at the entire market as a whole.

Ps3 sold 90mil units right? So i guess sony must be more proud of that than psv measly 15mil or nintendo measly wiiu 15mil? Wrong as it lost them more money combined than wiiu/vita/GCN

You keep looking only at HW sales for wii/ds drops. Which is fine but it doesnt spell out the entire formula.

That said wiiu was a failure overall, in both units and profits (💰) but 3ds did alright for itself. Especially when every1 was claiming Handheld gaming died and its number 1 competitir couldnt even hold on (unfortunately)

PS3 around 86m. Wii U under 13m. Vita will probably end up over 15m. 

Stop moving the goalposts.  We're not talking profits and how good for the company it is.  If we were I'd mention the ps4 is the ultimate gold mine with its combination of massive HW sales,  huge SW sales and ps plus. But we ain't discussing that. 

The market for dedicated handhelds is dying.  HW are miles down yes but so is software.  Lol ps4 has breezed passed 3DS software sales This gen with WAAAAAY less time. 

Next gen the decline continues.  Straight off the bat you can minus 15m vita sales and all the software it sold.  Then you can expect the Switch to sell less then the 3DS.  

The market is dying.  You can think Android and iOS. Meanwhile the HD consoles from last gen have transition beautiful to this gen.  The future is bright for home consoles. 

CGI-Quality said:
Jranation said:
Do we only have 1 set of Numbers that were leaked?

Why aren't there more numbers getting leaked?

Probably because we don't have any leaks.

I should have rephrase that. 

Why do we only have 1 set of numbers that were rumored? Because if that was fake, I would have expected more fake numbers to be popping up. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Turkish said:
KBG29 said:

I'm not sure how things stand on AMD's side, but going from GTX600 series to 900 gives definite improvements whether you buy a low or high end card.

I do expect 4k to be minimum on PS5, I just wish they went with ~-1600-1800p for more graphical effects. Just imagine how a native 1080p game would look next gen.

I'd rather they make the PS5 Pro available day 1 and sell at $999 for all the hardcore wanting all the bells and whistles.

I think what we're going to get in the PS5 is an upgraded version of the Fury X, a 8.6 Tflops GPU, so I'm guessing the PS5 will be ~9-10 Tflops.  Which, sure, doesn't seem like a big upgrade from the Pro, but when actually judging from the OG PS4 (what we should be comparing it to), that's ~5x+ more powerful.  That is a full upgrade.  And devs will be using it to its fullest, unlike the Pro, which is basically just getting updated ports of PS4 games.  I also think 4K 30FPS will be the standard.  However, I fully expect Sony to allow devs to choose to do native or utilize their patented checkerboard tech to push the visuals even more, while still giving a near 4K IQ.