By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV Japanese Sales OVEREACTION

Is it me?....or the fact that japan sold 690K copies (not including Digital) for an install base of 3.6 millon Ps4 users the first week is actually quite impressive?

if 1 out of every 6 gamers in the rest of the world bought this game ...or if sales were 10 mill or higher the first week.....this forum would exploded and act like FFXV was an RPG of divine origin.

If they sold that ratio in america...cnn would prolly do a story about how Japanese games were dominating the gaming market in America..

And then Trump would tweet something ridiculus that japan is taking over the american gaming industry and killing our jobs.

Around the Network

Side note...if japan had sold 18 or 20 million ps4's/xboxes...then yes I would say sales are disappointing...but..no...come on guys do the math and look at the big picture!

Agreed, nothing wrong with the numbers. Especially as everyone knew it wasn't going to be classic FF in the way we know it. Then there was the summer surprise delay which didn't build anticipation at all and a lot of focus was lost by potential buyers. Sales will likely stream in at a higher rate though to counter that as those people who lost hype buy it later.

edit - although not sure about 2nd paragraph. JRPG = Japan. (Unless it's on a Microsoft console, then it's tainted :D)

Why would you compare the Japanese launch to the American numbers when we have decades of historical numbers in Japan we can use? Isn't comparing Japanese numbers to previous Japanese numbers the logical course of action?

I thought it was quite impressive as well but I guess if you compare to previous FF mainline game sales in Japan you can see the decline that's all. Home consoles isn't what it use to be there.

Around the Network

It would be, if it were not for the fact the other entries in the series sold well over a million. Even if the digital sales were those extra 300k needed to break the million, a million is still less than all other entries since 6. It would be like if the next FIFA game only sold 300k instead of the 600k like last year in the UK, people would question why and if the series is out of favour/failing. Even if in reality it isn't.

Heck look at CoD, millions sold but not as many millions as before so they are questioning if it's losing it;s player base and popularity (it is).

Basically, it's about the standard set in the past.

Hmm, pie.

its more of an issues about console sales in japan then actual game sales...you are not gonna sell 3.8 million copiers to every ps4 owner in japan day week one. since...thats how many consoles they had..

Comparing it to other FF games and saying the sales sucks means you arent looking at the big picture of the gaming industry.

The damage done to the FF brand is massive. + The rise of digital and the fall of home consoles in Japan helped lower the numbers as well. Taking all of this into consideration, IMO FFXV did pretty damn good numbers in Japan.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Well im sure there were a lot more ps3s, ps2s, ps1s in japan back in those days then there are pS4s now when the previous ff games were sold. not once have i see any take that into account. people fail to realized that japan has sold over 8-10 million ps1 and ps2 in japan by the time FFx or FF7, FF8 were released. 

squibbfire said:

Well im sure there were a lot more ps3s, ps2s, ps1s in japan back in those days then there are pS4s now when the previous ff games were sold. not once have i see any take that into account. people fail to realized that japan has sold over 8-10 million ps1 and ps2 in japan by the time FFx or FF7, FF8 were released. 

Noo,ps4  is selling  more then ps3

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil