By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV's Sales In Japan: It Is Time For Japanese Devs To Support Switch?

Hynad said:
Alkibiádēs said:*

Second of all, digital sales have grown tremendously since 2009. You couldn't even download FF XIII online when it first launched. So highest launch-day digital sales is another meaningless achievement. It means nothing, it's empty marketing.

The heck are you on about. The game has the record for highest day one digital sales in Japan for ANY games (not just its franchise). That you could not download FF XIII back then has nothing to do with anything here. Hint: It sold more than Splatoon, day one, on digital. You follow now?

As for the rest of your tiresome arguing, I'll address it later. Because right now, it's 2am here and I'm going to call it a night. Suffice to say, I'm not really interested in keeping this up anymore than what's been said already. The way some Nintendo fans always see Nintendo as the only reasonable mean to achieve anything for third parties, or how everything should make its way to their console because "I love them better" really puts me off discussing anything with them. 

In this case it is the truth. Really no one has made any real arguement that Switch isn't absolutely the last best hope for the Japanese game market. 

Because it's true. I'd bet even Sony on some level is hoping that Switch is successful because they are certainly not going to be able to save that market despite all their success in the West. 

And I am not rah-rah cheerleader for Nintendo either, you probably will not find a more critical Nintendo fan on this board, I rip them to shreds reguarily here and certainly do not look past their faults. 

But sometimes the truth is just the damn truth. Japanese developers need Nintendo to take the lead, but in turn Nintendo needs these developers to back them again with an honest effort.

You can't expect Nintendo to do everything on their shoulders, I'm sure Nintendo would welcome some help rather than having to do almost everything on their own.

Around the Network

A regular member of the forum who always makes sensible statements of his opinions based on past history, current trends and available data makes a declaration that isn't immediately easy to swallow, and everyone loses their f'n mind.

Nobody is saying that FFXV failed because of Sony. All Soundwave is saying is that the Japanese home console market is circling the toilet bowl, and if Japanese console devs want to keep being console devs and not smartphone devs, they better do their part to make the Switch take off.

Is that so hard to understand?

Intrinsic said:
Oh my, you've finally gone off the deep end haven't you?

how about you think of this, what made square switch from Nintendo to sony to begin with?

If you can remember that one, then while you are at it kindly tell us how they will make a 40-51GB game fit in a 16GB cart?

Has it occurred to you, that going off Nintendo hardware decisions at all respective generations, it would just have been physically impossible for any FF from 7 through to the cuttrnt 15 to work on Nintendo hardware?

The PS2 games would have worked on GameCube just fine. At most, they would have required extra discs.

And I always take the size of current games with a grain of salt, because devs these days don't give a shit about size optimization/compression. Now that every consumer has a hard drive built into their console and has shown a willingness to deal with it being filled up quickly, why should they care about tightening up file sizes? It's your problem now.

If anything the japanese devs should start supporting PC. It is easy to port to (since the games are made on PCs anyway), does not have any power limitations so you can make any type of game you want, is mobile since you can play it on laptops, has a great centralized marketplace in steam, and has the most diverse gamer audience. And to be fair most japanese devs have already realized this which is why there are a lot more games being ported to PC. Not to mention japanese indie games have ALWAYS been released on PC. So yeah, PC gaming is the only way to save classic japanese games.
There you go.

I think FFXV is a game changer for Square-Enix. It's going to shake the company to the core. I also don't think the West is "saving" this game either. It'll have decent first month sales sure, but it'll drop like a 50 ton rock after that. IMO it will not match FF13 in the West. So you'll have lower sales in the West on top of a collapse in sales in Japan.

Around the Network

Does that 690k account for Digital Sales too? To my knowledge, FFXV broke the most first day digital sales in Japan of any game. It could have easily sold well over 1-2 million and we'd never know since no one tracks digital sales.

The let the Japanese gaming market die ...

It's not a Japanese devs job to appeal to their own domestic market if they don't want to and that goes for Nintendo as well ...

It's a cold and lonely world out there and it's Nintendo that must go out of their way to get others to support them ...

Technical issues and customer base is a basis to refuse supporting a system ...

fatslob-:O said:
The let the Japanese gaming market die ...

It's not a Japanese devs job to appeal to their own domestic market if they don't want to and that goes for Nintendo as well ...

It's a cold and lonely world out there and it's Nintendo that must go out of their way to get others to support them ...

Technical issues and customer base is a basis to refuse supporting a system ...

Personally I would probably quit console gaming if that were to happen. 

The game industry that I grew up with would be in a lot of ways effectively dead, replaced basically by "PCs-in-boxes". 

If Switch does not succeed then I think we are approaching the day where a main line Final Fantasy, Mosnter Hunter, and/or Dragon Quest will be made for iOS/Android. And that is ... really sad (no offense to those platforms). 

Japanese developers must accept the cold, hard reality that's staring them in the face right now. Besides it's not Nintendo some evil, neferous force. The 1990s are long since over, Nintendo is much nicer and more amenable to work with. A platform with Pokemon, Mario, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Splatoon, and Animal Crossing on it would be formidable indeed. 

Soundwave said:
Hynad said:

The heck are you on about. The game has the record for highest day one digital sales in Japan for ANY games (not just its franchise). That you could not download FF XIII back then has nothing to do with anything here. Hint: It sold more than Splatoon, day one, on digital. You follow now?

As for the rest of your tiresome arguing, I'll address it later. Because right now, it's 2am here and I'm going to call it a night. Suffice to say, I'm not really interested in keeping this up anymore than what's been said already. The way some Nintendo fans always see Nintendo as the only reasonable mean to achieve anything for third parties, or how everything should make its way to their console because "I love them better" really puts me off discussing anything with them. 

In this case it is the truth. Really no one has made any real arguement that Switch isn't absolutely the last best hope for the Japanese game market. 

Because it's true. I'd bet even Sony on some level is hoping that Switch is successful because they are certainly not going to be able to save that market despite all their success in the West. 

And I am not rah-rah cheerleader for Nintendo either, you probably will not find a more critical Nintendo fan on this board, I rip them to shreds reguarily here and certainly do not look past their faults. 

But sometimes the truth is just the damn truth. Japanese developers need Nintendo to take the lead, but in turn Nintendo needs these developers to back them again with an honest effort.

You can't expect Nintendo to do everything on their shoulders, I'm sure Nintendo would welcome some help rather than having to do almost everything on their own.

I think people are taking this thread the wrong way and just think that it's more about Nintendo than us all discussing the Fate of Japanese gaming being at stake! For the people saying that all of these companies should just try to appeal to the western markets, I say maybe every restaurant should serve hamburgers and hotdogs to appease you as well... 

If you don't care for country music does that mean it should cease to exist? 

I for one love everything about traditional RPG's, Tactical games, artistic styled games and more... This is why the 3ds is one of my favorite gaming devices, because it caters to all of these genres that most modern gamers want to throw away .

Soundwave said:

If Switch does not succeed then I think we are approaching the day where a main line Final Fantasy, Mosnter Hunter, and/or Dragon Quest will be made for iOS/Android. And that is ... really sad (no offense to those platforms). 

As long as the games are good of course it wouldn't matter if they're made for iOS/Android. The problem with most games on mobile phones is that they're simplistic. There is nothing inherently wrong with ios/android. With a gamepad attachment you could easily make every single one of the 3ds games on mobile phones as well. Heck currently most mobile phones have a lot more juice than a 3ds.