By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has Sony's focus on games trumped their recent missteps??

Has Sony's focus on games trumped their recent missteps??

Yes, it's all about the games 185 88.52%

No, give me a 4k Blu ray ... 24 11.48%

Total:209
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Alkibiádēs said:

You mean new IPs like The Last of Us 2, God of War 4, Knack 2 (why is that even a thing?) and a remake of the original Crash Bandicoot trilogy?

Alrighty then.

Last of us launched only months before the new gen started. Knack is a new IP and it got a sequel because it turned a proit. God of War is not a new IP but they do let some games survive. Horizon is a new IP. The Last Guardian, which has taken so damn long to come out. Until Dawn was also a new ip. There are plenty more second and third party games. There will be more new IP's coming, I assure you. 

Hey, don't be listing 8th gen Sony exclusive new IP without mentioning The Order. it might have been a commercial and critical disappoinment. but there was a lot invested into this new IP, so when you are talking about where a company puts it's resources then you can't forget The Order.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
binary solo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Last of us launched only months before the new gen started. Knack is a new IP and it got a sequel because it turned a proit. God of War is not a new IP but they do let some games survive. Horizon is a new IP. The Last Guardian, which has taken so damn long to come out. Until Dawn was also a new ip. There are plenty more second and third party games. There will be more new IP's coming, I assure you. 

Hey, don't be listing 8th gen Sony exclusive new IP without mentioning The Order. it might have been a commercial and critical disappoinment. but there was a lot invested into this new IP, so when you are talking about where a company puts it's resources then you can't forget The Order.

Which was very liked by me.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
binary solo said:

And me. Well not "very liked", but enjoyed enough that I thought it was worth the [less than launch] price I paid for it. And good enough that I want a sequel, as long as they iron out the flaws.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Just a reminder to stay on topic, and not trash console manufacturers (Sony included) to make your point. Should go without saying...but apparently it needs to be said still.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Lol you guys realize vgc does not have digital sales.... PSN sales account for a large percentage of sales #s for ip..... I'm sure uncharted is well past 10 mili before bundles.... And same for TLOUS R, and kill zone is prob past 5 mili and the order over 2 mili..... Those games have been discounted to as little as $5, and have been on top sellers lists for weeks during December which one could say sees a lot of sales for games on PSN.....

mM
Around the Network

I think the biggest let down this gen from Sony has been PS+. However, it seems they are spending the money from securing AAA games on making more games.

Other than that I don't see any major miss steps as much as some people freaking out over what Pro is, UHD being a deal breaker.

There are things they could have done better though. I still believe Sony allowing people access to digital games they owned on PS3 via PSNow would have been huge since they can't do BC.

They should have carried PS Home over, especially for VR.

No new Buzz Game or the old one not being compatible is a shame.

They seem to be going app crazy rather than have an all in one app. I hate that they took out messaging from the base app.

No video chatting is also a shame. It would be nice to be able to do that.

They should figure out how to party chat via the PS messaging app so you can party chat with gamers on your way home etc.

Not sure if these things are miss steps or missed opportunities and certainly don't see them being one and the same by definition.

binary solo said:
DonFerrari said:

And me. Well not "very liked", but enjoyed enough that I thought it was worth the [less than launch] price I paid for it. And good enough that I want a sequel, as long as they iron out the flaws.

Well, yes... I played it for free from a loan. So on a price paid/enjoyment had I could say very liked =p

Super_Boom said:
Just a reminder to stay on topic, and not trash console manufacturers (Sony included) to make your point. Should go without saying...but apparently it needs to be said still.

Booohooo, I swear I read on VGC rules that as long as it's an opinion you can badmouth a company as much as you want. /joking please don't use the hammer.

leo-j said:
Lol you guys realize vgc does not have digital sales.... PSN sales account for a large percentage of sales #s for ip..... I'm sure uncharted is well past 10 mili before bundles.... And same for TLOUS R, and kill zone is prob past 5 mili and the order over 2 mili..... Those games have been discounted to as little as $5, and have been on top sellers lists for weeks during December which one could say sees a lot of sales for games on PSN.....

Yep. I'm sure that if we counted digital Knack would have been over 5M sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

naruball said:

In order to say that this is a bad decision, you have to compare the number of people who would choose an xb1 over a ps4 solely because of a UHD blue ray drive with the number of people who care more about a sub $400 price. Clearly Sony tried their best to make it as inexpensive as possible and thus an affordable option.

There will always be a reason for consumers to choose another console (i.e. Scorpio). That doesn't mean that Sony should make a super expensive version (e.g. with more ram) that only a few people will buy.

Theres no way to get those exact numbers, we just giving opinions here.

Sony already has a cheaper alternative in the slim. I dont think adding the UHD blue ray drive would add much at all to the Pro cost, so i dont know where super expensive comes from.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

On a scale 1 to 10 the PS4 has been a solid 9.

Games keep me entertained with more on the way, controller is great, menus and apps work well. Nothing I really want more out of it other than just more games.

Certainly. The fact that the PS4 Pro seems at least a tad pointless, they don't allow full mod support, and a few minor missing features doesn't negate the fact that they've got loads of awesome exclusives finally coming to their platform. The games are what I buy a platform, not minor technical features. A great game is still great even with a slightly lower frame rate, the lack of an optical port, and no UHD blu support in its unnecessary pro console.