By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which side are you on: Digital or Physical?

Physical or Digital?

Digital Display (Ready For The World) 66 22.22%

Let's Get Physical (Olivia Newton-John) 204 68.69%

All I Really Want Is To B... 27 9.09%

Total:297

Im going to be on the fence and say both, simply because I buy whatever option is cheaper. Often a physical copy is cheaper when you buy a brand new game, However stuff like PS store, Microsoft store or Nintendo E shop have a lot of sales for older games to drum up business. I always assess both options as best as I can before I make a purchase.

Around the Network

Physical, as long as it's really physical (i.e. no product keys, no stupid DRM, just easy access to the game).

nanarchy said:
SvennoJ said:

Yet they are the ones trading games in and keeping the 2nd hand market in business, while buying the games at large retail stores that advertise them. The average internet connection is also a lot slower than what you would likely find on this site.

No the average consumer isn't doing that at all. Most people buy very few games digitally or otherwise and don't tradein. You have various markets within gaming, there is definitely a sizable section that wait and simply play/tradein old games, I would be shocked though if that amounted to more than 20% of gamers, haven't seen any official figures around that, happy to be pointed at something that says I am wrong though. This site while a poor representation of the average consumer or gamer is likely far better indicator of the average internet connection.

PS: not sure about where you live, but just about every retailer I see has shrunk the gaming section (used and new) as physical instore purchases have been declining for years now.

I only go to a dedicated game shop, reducing shelf space for games wouldn't make sense there :) What I do see is that used games take up about as much shelf space as new games, actually more since 6th gen games don't have new copies anymore, and 7th gen new section is rapidly shrinking, if not gone already.

I can't find much online, just for UK it was 31% of gamers bought at least one second hand game in 2013, so indeed not that big.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/uk-pre-owned-games-market-made-more-than-79m-in-2013/0132440

In 2014: £3.944bn total market size which includes £1.082bn for digital console and PC content, £113m on pre-owned software and £935m on boxed software. 51% digital, 44% physical, 5% pre-owned.
In 2015: £4.190bn total market size which inclused £1.224bn (+17%) for digital console and PC content, £123m (+9%) on pre-owned software and £904 (-3%) on boxed software. 54% digital, 40% physical, 5.5% pre-owned.
http://ukie.org.uk/press-release/2016/02/uk-games-market-soars-past-%C2%A341bn

So yeah you are right, the second hand market is tiny. Digital is already bigger than boxed, although that includes DLC, season passes, online subs and digital only games. Second hand market is of no concern anymore to the industry. https://www.wired.com/2016/01/used-games-2/

For the world, including everything, digital is by far the biggest
https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/digital-games-market-worth-83-2-billion-2016/
Globally, 83.6% of the $99.6 billion games market is generated through digital channels: $83.2 billion. A little less than half of these digital game revenues comes from the mobile segment. Around one quarter of the PC and console segments is still generated through physical boxed products, mostly coming from console gaming.

Console gaming is the last bastion for physical releases.

https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/digital-games-market-worth-83-2-billion-2016/

Anyway long tangent, still no wiser on what percentage of AAA console games are bought digitally vs physical. One thing physical has on digital, is gifting games. I'm quite sure Santa doesn't put a voucher under the tree for dad to enter his credit card details and download Jimmie's new game ;) Although perhaps I'm old fashioned and that's what parents do nowadays.

SvennoJ said:

Anyway long tangent, still no wiser on what percentage of AAA console games are bought digitally vs physical. One thing physical has on digital, is gifting games. I'm quite sure Santa doesn't put a voucher under the tree for dad to enter his credit card details and download Jimmie's new game ;) Although perhaps I'm old fashioned and that's what parents do nowadays.

I hate to tell you, but for the past few years, I've been asking mates and family to gift me Steam credit vouchers, both physical and digital codes. That and I've got friends who gift me games via Steam, humble bundle (Basil even gifted me a game just a few hrs ago), GMG etc. As long as you haven't used the code, you can gift it to someone else.

In this day and age, gifting games digitally via codes or via the stores themselves has been made that much easier than a decade ago.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I definitely prefer physical over digital, but if digital is on sale for a good price, that won't stop me from getting it :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Digital is good. I like the convenience. Sure its great to see your big ass stack of games on a shelf, but sooner or later you realize you got a big ass stack of games on a shelf. Most of the time you never even play those games. I've had exes complain that I don't even play most of them and they would be right. In the end, it was just more stuff taking up more space that could have went to knick knacks and other random crap like my gaming books.

Chazore said:
SvennoJ said:

I hate to tell you, but for the past few years, I've been asking mates and family to gift me Steam credit vouchers, both physical and digital codes. That and I've got friends who gift me games via Steam, humble bundle (Basil even gifted me a game just a few hrs ago), GMG etc. As long as you haven't used the code, you can gift it to someone else.

In this day and age, gifting games digitally via codes or via the stores themselves has been made that much easier than a decade ago.

Argh, Christmas turned into a bunch of gift cards.
I was aware of Steam gifting, and ofcourse there's simple psn/xbla gift cards. Seems rather not fun though.

bunchanumbers said:
Digital is good. I like the convenience. Sure its great to see your big ass stack of games on a shelf, but sooner or later you realize you got a big ass stack of games on a shelf. Most of the time you never even play those games. I've had exes complain that I don't even play most of them and they would be right. In the end, it was just more stuff taking up more space that could have went to knick knacks and other random crap like my gaming books.

Did you complain to your exes that they don't wear most of the clothes they own ;)

Argh I'm really getting old
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/02/04/men_spend_more_money_and_time_on_clothes_shopping_than_women.html
Men's wardrobe now bigger than women's?

Always physical for games if there's an option, but I think digital is just so much more convenient for music or movies

d21lewis said:

I've always been a fan of physical media. Movies, music, video games. I wanted to own it. Touch it. Have it. Over time, that's changed.

I haven't bought a CD since Michael Jackson died. Haven't purchased a DVD or Blu-ray in a couple of years. And the last physical game I've purchased was Valkyria Chronicles back in May. Some games, I even own physically but went back and purchased digitally because of convenience.

I may have been converted but I'm still open minded. There are many benefits to going digital but there are still benefits to going physical, too. Here's the case for both.

Physical:

+You have something in your hands. You can look at it, display it, and taste it.

+Your game lasts indefinitely, as long take care of it. So does a digital game, just don't delete it or break your hard drive

+You can resell it when you're done. So much for the glory of displaying and tasting

+ You can loan it to a friend My friend and I can game share and play the same digital game online together despite only buying it once

+ Rare games can increase in value The digital future will pretty much negate this point for any non ancient games within a few years

+ You don't have to worry about running out of hard drive space. How is that better than shelf space?

+ As long as your console works, your game should also work How is that different for digital?

+ You may be able to refund a crappy game MS refunded me the Destiny Digital Collectors edition after over a month of playing it

+ No waiting on lengthy downloads Preloads = No waiting

+ "Collector's Edition" versions are usually exclusive to physical games. Not true, there's almost always Digital Collector Editions these days (though I grant you, that's not really the same if you want some big statue or something)

-They can be lost or stolen

-Your friends are assholes who mooch off of you

-they can be damaged

-You have to physically change discs

Basically, I'm on the side of convenience. Discs are pointless, and the sooner we eliminate them entirely, the sooner the digital marketplace on consoles can reach it's full potential (see Steam for reference)

Angelus said:

Basically, I'm on the side of convenience. Discs are pointless, and the sooner we eliminate them entirely, the sooner the digital marketplace on consoles can reach it's full potential (see Steam for reference)

That might turn out quite different to what you're hoping for. Steam has competition, PSN/XBL do not. The only competition digital prices have is from boxed copies. But be free to believe that digital prices are artificially held high to appease shops.