By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What trend you dont like in todays games?

As the title says, what trend or usual mechanic that is usually found in many games you dont like?

For me personally, is the lack of memorable music.Outside of games made by japanese developers, most western games dosent feature good music, instead having a decent to good theme music, and the rest being either the generic battle music, a kind of music in which you can find in Michael Bay films for example, or simply silence, because its an "atmospheric" game.Dont get me wrong, it works when the situation demands it, but too many games do that, and many of them could have benefited having an original music being played.I miss the Super Nintendo to PS2 games, when even if the music wasnt particulary good, at least they tried.Well, back then most games that were good were japanese so....

One of the few exception to this trend  is The Witcher 3 though.Went expecting nothing out of the music and god was I pleasantly surprised.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

I don't know if for me its a trend or if its an entire category of games. But here they are.

Online only.

Microtransactions.

First person everything.

Health Regen as opposed to health packs and health management. (Hell I think even FF15 has it now too!!!!)

Too much handholding. Back then the closest we got to tutorials were the info on the games controls in the manual. Now, entire games feels like a tutorial. Games like soul reaver or the original tomb raider simply can't exist now.

There is probably more, but that's what came off the top of my head.

Too much focus on online elements, forgetting the single player.

I want to say I miss turn based abit too, I know its not gone and there are still games with it... but it used to be the "go to" way to go, and I kinda miss that.

Intrinsic said:
Too much handholding. Back then the closest we got to tutorials were the info on the games controls in the manual. Now, entire games feels like a tutorial. Games like soul reaver or the original tomb raider simply can't exist now.

^ so much this!

Trophies for multiplayer stuff.

I'm not really a fan of season passes myself. I don't like when a game is already selling them when the game itself hasn't been released yet. It kind of feels like extra goods that could have been sold with the game, but it left out to make more money. I'm sure that's not always the case, but it feels more so like that currently in the industry.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Probably making a game open world when it doesn't benefit from it.

Linearity has almost become a dirty word in AAA gaming

-Online/Multiplayer exclusive games. I dont think this games should cost the price of a full game.
- Popularity of FPS Multplayer games in general.
- The concept that frames is the most important aspect of gaming- when its not.
- Hating Nintendo in general.
-Too many "HD versions" of old games, instead of just porting them to the online stores of the new consoles.
-Complimenting the last comment: Lack of old games in the online stores. The stores dont carry over to the new gen. The PS4 store is shit compared to the PS3 store.

Edit: 

Also, hating on critics. Cause we should listen to them, critics are better than us. They are superior beings. with superior intellect. We can only aspire to be a  shadow of them. But also, im being sarcastic. Caring so much what critics say is a problem. Suddenly thats become a trend in games and films.  

emphasis on open world/non-linear structure
mp only games
the extreme confusion between design and gameplay, leading to horrible gameplay with manufactured design being accepted as good gameplay
focus on populism over artistic vision. Where are the modern "artistes"? Maybe Straley and Druckmann are the only remotely usable examples, with some indie ones like Blow thrown in

Cinematic games. They do absolute nothing to advance video games. They feel like a step backwards from games like FF12 and MGS3 , games that offered cinematic story telling without compromising the game.

Tech wars - Even less important than the above.

Anime centric games - games that only a otaku basement dweller could like.

Xxain said:

Cinematic games. They do absolute nothing to advance video games. They feel like a step backwards from games like FF12 and MGS3 , games that offered cinematic story telling without compromising the game.

Tech wars - Even less important than the above.

Anime centric games - games that only a otaku basement dweller could like.

but, but...i need my waifus! /s

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.