By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the Nintendo Switch is successful where does Nintendo go from there?

Shouldn't the title read: "If the Nintendo Switch isn't a success..."?

Not really a mystery if it's going to sell well and beyond.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Nintendo has had many ups and downs in their 100 plus year history. Not sure what those ups and downs were before the 1980's, but I am sure they have had them during that time frame as well. What I do know is that as soon as they allowed Sony to get the upper hand back in the 90's it has been a struggle for Nintendo. The N64 had moderate success. Then we had the GC which sucked the life out of us with how terrible it did. Then we had the Wii shoot them back up into the stars with how successful it was along with the amazing DS.

Now we are back down again. The 3DS did not even sell half of what the DS sold, and the Wii U barely sold half of what the GC did back in the day. So where does that leave Nintendo with the NS? The last hope some will say. Will Nintendo keep to the console/handheld combined strategy or will they branch off again to a console and handheld? Will they continue pushing into the mobile business since that obviously will never go away or will they shut themselves off again?

It seems that the Switch wants to take back their freedom. They want their own mobile device that has the best of both worlds. Forget sharing profit of Pokemon Go with Apple and Google, they want it all to themselves! Nintendo is a big company that has made some poor decisions and even good Business strategies by them have been implemented poorly or have been lost in it all.

I think they will stay with mobile since it is such a big market, and people who own mobile devices will still buy a console. It is not the same as if they started making games for Sony as well. Then there would be no reason to own an NS. I think they will stay mobile for good now, and if the NS is a success they will stay with that strategy. A handheld/console combination. There is really no need with todays technology to ever go back to the risky Console Market when they can just have the best of both worlds.

What do you think will happen if they are successful with the NS, what will Nintendos future be?

In case Switch succeeds, Nintendo should stick to 1 platform only in my opinion.

Selling their own smartphone is not a good idea. I believe selling on Android/iOS is the best option for them.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

More than likely they will go mobile only. First thing that happens is that they form a partnership with apple to have their games on all ios devices. Then they put out a line of controllers that connect to those devices. Then watch the billions roll in. There will be no need for consoles. They will finally have found that blue ocean they have forsaken everything for.

If the Switch is succesful (and it will probably be) they can just create their own niche with the hybrid system. It will take a couple of years if someone tries to compete directly with Nintendo in that regard (a PSP4Portable or something). But I think other companies will be busy trying to compete for the home console/PC market, so its all good.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Staying on Switch platform, expanding Switch line of hardware, realising Switch Home (much more powerful version of Switch for home use only) and Switch Pocket (smaller version of Switch for mobile use only), all will play some games like PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Around the Network

To the moooooooon baby!

Nah... they will get cocky and ruin it all over again =(

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

bunchanumbers said:
More than likely they will go mobile only. First thing that happens is that they form a partnership with apple to have their games on all ios devices. Then they put out a line of controllers that connect to those devices. Then watch the billions roll in. There will be no need for consoles. They will finally have found that blue ocean they have forsaken everything for.

If Switch fails, I think this is the best way for them.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I think they should continue with the hybrid approach (maybe including a few devices in the same family), but they should not continue the product name generation to generation. As popular as the Wii was, the Wii branding of the Wii U just confused customers. I surely hope Nintendo sees good returns this next gen - assuming they actually deliver the goods software-wise. If we don't get AAA Metroid, F-Zero, Kid Icarus (i.e. somewhat adult content) this generation, Nintendo has no one but themselves to blame. We all love the Mario, Donkey Kong, and Kirby games, but Nintendo has to reestablish their relationship with their fans that are now in their 20s, 30s, and beyond.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

If they are successful with the NX, then they will continue to make games and consoles

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

If it is successful they will go to the bank to deposit the money. Easiest question ever to answer!