By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Day 1 after Trump wins: Racism comes back stronger...

Acevil said:
Slimebeast said:
I can imagine that many of the relatively few real racists in America felt sort of a confidence boost by Trump's victory, and some of them might even believe we're going into a new era where display of open racism becomes more acceptable. So what we might see here is how nasty people dare to express racist sentiments more openly than they dared to show before the election.

But we have to remember that this isn't an established fact. The examples in the twitter thread (or whatever it is) are circumstancial and might, or might not, reflect a real life trend. Let's not draw conclusions before we know the facts.

But even if it is an actual increase in racism expression, it might very well be temporary. I believe that things will go back to normal within a few days.

Generally speaking there aren't many racists in the West and racism is a relatively limited phenomenon. It's blown out of proportions and used as a tool against the majority population by people with an agenda.

What about the actual reports of people being beat up at Universities for being certain religious or race or simply targetted by grafitti. The thing is, it has increased, but you are correct only time will tell the actual effects. Also your last little sentence, tries to mute what is actually accuring. The worse thing you can do is try to silence crimes like they don't happen. Agenda or not, these events are happening. 

Source: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/11/10/us-police-investigate-attacks-on-muslim-university-students.html

Those reports are very vague. I don't believe in it until solid proof. Violent physical assault is something white guys very seldom do.

We don't know if racism has increased. There's a claim about increased racism but no facts.

About the last sentence, that these things are blown out of proportions by people with an agenda. That's very important. It's key to the whole thing. Why is one side only interested in crime commited by white people?

If there is one side that belittles crime victims it's the left. Always explaining away, always going at lengths to analyse and understand the perpetrator.

So why can't we do it now?

"These unfortunate acts were probably commited by frustrated white people with troubled lives, taking out their frustration on complete strangers. On people who they associate with radical changes in society, like globalization and mass immigration. Changes that they feel they have become the victim of, where people have lost their jobs that have been moved overseas. Some perpetrators are suffering from mental illness. They didn't really mean to hurt anybody. These people need society's help and support. Now we need government funded reforms more than ever to support marginalized people. This is not an issue about real racism, it's about broken people."

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
It would be funnier if the title said racism comes "black" stronger. Get it?

I think everyone is just over reacting ....a lot!

You're a good man.

Yes, racism is back:

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/11/10/trump-supporter-beat-up-chicago-fight/

Just like with Brexit this makes people feel more legitimated to express their latent racism. Which is normal, because, don't fool yourselves, not every Trump supporter is a racist at all, but every single racist has voted for him.

LurkerJ said:
Zzzzzzz

A nation of 300m people, isolated incidents and hearsay stuff doesn't mean racism is on the rise.

Not sure if there is any more room for it to rise now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Did Trump tell people to go out and be even stupider than normal? If not then this isn't his fault, yet people are making it out like it is. This is only stupid people being stupid, let's make sure they're the ones punished and not a scapegoat.

He's in a position of influence so a lot of what he says carries weight. He doesn't even need to directly tell people to do stupid shit. If he's indirectly saying it's OK to do stupid shit, he's influential enough that people will do stupid shit. It's not about scapegoating (the idiots should still be punished) but ensuring he's held to account. He's a politician now, literally everything he says and does now needs to be scrutinised.  

bunchanumbers said:
Slimebeast said:
I can imagine that many of the relatively few real racists in America felt sort of a confidence boost by Trump's victory, and some of them might even believe we're going into a new era where display of open racism becomes more acceptable. So what we might see here is how nasty people dare to express racist sentiments more openly than they dared to show before the election.

But we have to remember that this isn't an established fact. The examples in the twitter thread (or whatever it is) are circumstancial and might, or might not, reflect a real life trend. Let's not draw conclusions before we know the facts.

But even if it is an actual increase in racism expression, it might very well be temporary. I believe that things will go back to normal within a few days.

Generally speaking there aren't many racists in the West and racism is a relatively limited phenomenon. It's blown out of proportions and used as a tool against the majority population by people with an agenda.

Are you a minority? Because if you are not then you will realize that racism is part of your everyday life. That white lady that moves to the other side of the street instead of the side you are on. The looks of concern when you go into their neighborhoods. An older lady once asked a co worker whether or not it was legal for me to be there instead of on the reservation.

White folks have asked me when was the last time I made a rain dance. I've been called chief, brave, buffalo rider, prairie n*****, was asked where my tipi was, told to lay off the fire water, and one time a girl just straight up walked up to me and gave me a indian 'how' salute.

I live it every day. I'm glad you live in a racism free world. Some day I hope to live in one too.

Is that racism though when people avoid you?

I do this all the time, avoid people with certain looks simply because I don't want to get in trouble. I avoid stores with certain store owners because I might not want to get ripped off, or might not want to argue all day.

I didn't quiote understand those terms, "chief", "brave", "buffalo rider", "tipi", "indian how salute"? Do you look like a native indian, is that what you're saying?

One really needs to know the context in order to decide if the motive was racism or not. But it's sad that you have been a victim of racism.

Geez, I thought Trump would unify the nation, starting with minorities.
Oh well.

Slimebeast said:
bunchanumbers said:

Are you a minority? Because if you are not then you will realize that racism is part of your everyday life. That white lady that moves to the other side of the street instead of the side you are on. The looks of concern when you go into their neighborhoods. An older lady once asked a co worker whether or not it was legal for me to be there instead of on the reservation.

White folks have asked me when was the last time I made a rain dance. I've been called chief, brave, buffalo rider, prairie n*****, was asked where my tipi was, told to lay off the fire water, and one time a girl just straight up walked up to me and gave me a indian 'how' salute.

I live it every day. I'm glad you live in a racism free world. Some day I hope to live in one too.

Is that racism though when people avoid you?

I do this all the time, avoid people with certain looks simply because I don't want to get in trouble. I avoid stores with certain store owners because I might not want to get ripped off, or might not want to argue all day.

I didn't quiote understand those terms, "chief", "brave", "buffalo rider", "tipi", "indian how salute"? Do you look like a native indian, is that what you're saying?

One really needs to know the context in order to decide if the motive was racism or not. But it's sad that you have been a victim of racism.

I am native american. Its the stereotypes I deal with on a daily basis. Like I said I'm glad you live in a racism free world, but its not right to act like it doesn't exist because you are fortunate enough to not experience it.

Goodnightmoon said:

Just like with Brexit this makes people feel more legitimated to express their latent racism. Which is normal, because, don't fool yourselves, not every Trump supporter is a racist at all, but every single racist has voted for him.

Exactly. My wife has removed a bunch of them on Facebook since the election. People are showing their unfiltered true colors all of a sudden.