By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2016 NPD Thread! Software and hardware estimates up!

Clearly exclusivity deals have not helped any franchises so far, including SFV, ROTR, Titanfall, ZombiU etc.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Welfare said:

What? The PS4 is down 14% YoY and XB1 is up 8% YoY. There was no OGXB1 firesale and OGXB1 did not have a major impact on unit sales or revenue this month. A 94k lead is really good for October.

The PS4 being down YOY doesnt amount to much especially considering that the Pro had been announced at this point and was due to release the following month (this month). However, the XB1 had gears and a couple of other notable bundles. Believe me 90k lead isn't very good. I just made an NPD 2016 thread showing the numbers for all the months of this year. 

90k while XB1 is supposed to indisputably be at its strongest isn't saying a lot. The month of October was the one time that the XB1 should have had every reason to beat the PS4. 

You can't just look at previous month's gaps and say that this month's gap isn't good. That is some serious downplay. October is usually a smaller month and gaps are smaller because of that. Almost 100k gap in October is very good.

Also Pro was always due for November, don't know where you are hearing an original October release.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Intrinsic said:
how short of a memory some people seem to have. Its bad enough that they ignore every possible "obvious" reason why the XB1 has won these past 3/4 months. But most importantly they ignore the gap between the consoles just this year alone.

Someone should make a thread showing the NPD numbers for all the months of 2016 and people would be surprised.

It would really be interesting to see how November's numbers pan out. As I've said in another thread, it's possible that in just November or December PS4 can win by such a margin that negates every win MS has had this far. Even tho as it stands the PS4 is still ahead for the year.

And am I the only one that thinks those gears numbers especially considering it was bundled is bad? Scratch that, am I the only one that feels on such a month and with all the bundles MS had and their ogXB1 fire saless a lead of just over 90k is really bad?

I seam to recall a lot of Sony guys saying PS4 would win October. With  psvr and the PS4slim(don't recall when it released, late September/early October). Short memory indead. Also I don't have a big problem with those gears numbers, it's down from judgement a little but digital is much higher, and it had 4 day early play with digital, and play anywhere.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Welfare said:

You can't just look at previous month's gaps and say that this month's gap isn't good. That is some serious downplay. October is usually a smaller month and gaps are smaller because of that. Almost 100k gap in October is very good.

Also Pro was always due for November, don't know where you are hearing an original October release.

Wait, you tell me i cant just look at previous months gaps then tell me how octover is "usually" a slow month?

Anyways, slow month or not you should at the very least look at what games are being released and if there are any bundles. For October MS had a bundle for both Gears of war and Battlefeild 1 and both games came in that same month. 

Would u consider September a slow month? wanna guess how many PS4s Sony sold with the destiny bundle? Which mind you as a new IP. 

There is no downplaying here. Gears was XB1 supposedly biggest game for the year. And then they had a deal for Battlefeild 1 all in the same month. 90k isn't that impressive at all. 

So is there a chance SuMo being the number 1 game in US for the Year? If IW dropa alot it has a chance

Around the Network

Forgot to tag this one

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

hudsoniscool said:

I seam to recall a lot of Sony guys saying PS4 would win October. With  psvr and the PS4slim(don't recall when it released, late September/early October). Short memory indead. Also I don't have a big problem with those gears numbers, it's down from judgement a little but digital is much higher, and it had 4 day early play with digital, and play anywhere.

Who won the month or didnt win the month isnt what im talking about. So i dont know how that applies to me. No one is here saying MS didnt do good or desrrve the win. That would be silly, same way how it would be silly to think that a $400 peripheral would have somehow increased the sales of a $300 PS4.

What I'm saying is that I would have expected more than 90k+ gap. All considering. October was the best shot MS had at actually beating the PS4 and beating them in such a way it could make a proper dent on their overall lead in NA at least for this year. Unless of course by some random miracle they win November and December too. 

Intrinsic said:
Welfare said:

What? The PS4 is down 14% YoY and XB1 is up 8% YoY. There was no OGXB1 firesale and OGXB1 did not have a major impact on unit sales or revenue this month. A 94k lead is really good for October.

The PS4 being down YOY doesnt amount to much especially considering that the Pro had been announced at this point and was due to release the following month (this month). However, the XB1 had gears and a couple of other notable bundles. Believe me 90k lead isn't very good. I just made an NPD 2016 thread showing the numbers for all the months of this year. 

90k while XB1 is supposed to indisputably be at its strongest isn't saying a lot. The month of October was the one time that the XB1 should have had every reason to beat the PS4. 

The thing is early in the year everyone expected PS4 to outsell the Xbox One and not jujst by a small margin, Around this site all the Sony side were saying that Xbox One wouldn't win another month after August this year and the users who look at the bigger picture were expecting close margins in either sides favour through September and October which turned out bigger than most people thought in favour of the Xbox One.

It's not really about Xbox beating the PS4 across the entire 2016 as I said it's expected but rather Sony need to answer this November with big numbers pushing 1.8m-2m at a minimum imo to show that the PS4 Pro did infact take a lot of orders away from the PS4 slim in September/October and they are not loosing some of the momentum whilst Xbox is gaining it, If they don't hit them numbers and outsell Xbox One by 500k I'd consider it a big let down for Sony.

tbone51 said:
Swordmasterman said:

Sad month for Gears, I expected something closer to 1 million. But  the Xbox One had a better gap than I expected.

Titanfall 2 selling less than a niche game despite the stated 10+ millions of players that the last game had.

I hope that November will be better for software sales.

It will be with Holidays/BF and of course C

IW/SuMo

Sun and Moon will be a big success. I think that it will be able to make up for the difference of sales  between  IWand Black Ops 3 

WoodenPints said:

The thing is early in the year everyone expected PS4 to outsell the Xbox One and not jujst by a small margin, Around this site all the Sony side were saying that Xbox One wouldn't win another month after August this year and the users who look at the bigger picture were expecting close margins in either sides favour through September and October which turned out bigger than most people thought in favour of the Xbox One.

It's not really about Xbox beating the PS4 across the entire 2016 as I said it's expected but rather Sony need to answer this November with big numbers pushing 1.8m-2m at a minimum imo to show that the PS4 Pro did infact take a lot of orders away from the PS4 slim in September/October and they are not loosing some of the momentum whilst Xbox is gaining it, If they don't hit them numbers and outsell Xbox One by 500k I'd consider it a big let down for Sony.

I agree with you. If sony doesn't beat MS by at lewst 500k over novemeber and december i would also look at that as a disappointment. 

If you meant 500k in the month of November alone though that's not being very realistic. Especially when you consider that the sales difference over the months of September and October is around just 150k. And those are the months we can say that the PS4pro cannibalized sales. I don't see why Sony needs to sell 500k more in the minth of November alone. 200-300k more would be enough.