By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Emily Rogers Discussion Thread: No More Rumors Until January

^Her speculation points that the 3D Mario game we saw in the reveal will be the launch title. Not Zelda.

I'm with curl. It's a joke already and it will be even further if the game is not ready on Switch's launch. For everyone, just a reminder: we could be playing the game right now on our Wii U's, but due to the Switch version Nintendo is holding it. This is not about being HD or open world. This is just their bullshit called Switch version.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

If delay is going to happen, it will have nothing to localisation issues. Nintendo always fucked up with hardware on the launch. I bet Zelda BotW runs like ass on Switch at the current time. So there are two options for them: delay both versions or cancel Wii U version.

jason1637 said:

"Disclaimer: Everything in this blog post is rumor until proven otherwise. Please take everything with a grain of salt.

Breath of the Wild is one of the largest games — if not the largest game — that Nintendo has ever developed. It’s probably larger than Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Wind Waker combined.

In early September, I heard rumblings that the localization for the game was becoming more work than anyone had anticipated. They have to localize all of the game’s text, NPCs, quests, etc. Then, around October, I received another update that Zelda’s localization was still not going as smoothly as planned. “A very ambitious game, maybe even too much” claimed one particular source.

That brings us to the month of November. More sources have now come forward and corroborated my information. They’ve told me that localization for Breath of the Wild might not be finished until the end of December. After localization is completed, this game will require between (at least) four-to-six months of testing. As I mentioned earlier, this is one of Nintendo’s largest and most ambitious games ever. The amount of testing required for a huge open-world game like this is enormous. Nintendo’s intention is to have the game as bug free as possible.

Based on what I’ve heard, I have no reason to believe that Breath of the Wild will be a March title. There’s a much higher chance of Breath of the Wild being a summer 2017 game.

On an unrelated note, I’ve also heard whispers of the Switch version of BoTW running more smoothly than the Wii U version. Furthermore, I hear the final version of the game is a bit harder than what the press and media played at E3. Actually, I hear they toned down the E3 demo’s difficulty a tiny bit because they wanted journalists and press members at E3 to have fun exploring.

That’s all for now, but keep your eyes peeled for my next blog post. I’ll be discussing other Switch games later this week."

Curl said it imo. Nintends handling for this game has been shit.

This is crap. Localisation and testing don't interfere with each other. Why should testing wait till localisation is done?

GoOnKid said:
jason1637 said:

"Disclaimer: Everything in this blog post is rumor until proven otherwise. Please take everything with a grain of salt.

Breath of the Wild is one of the largest games — if not the largest game — that Nintendo has ever developed. It’s probably larger than Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Wind Waker combined.

In early September, I heard rumblings that the localization for the game was becoming more work than anyone had anticipated. They have to localize all of the game’s text, NPCs, quests, etc. Then, around October, I received another update that Zelda’s localization was still not going as smoothly as planned. “A very ambitious game, maybe even too much” claimed one particular source.

That brings us to the month of November. More sources have now come forward and corroborated my information. They’ve told me that localization for Breath of the Wild might not be finished until the end of December. After localization is completed, this game will require between (at least) four-to-six months of testing. As I mentioned earlier, this is one of Nintendo’s largest and most ambitious games ever. The amount of testing required for a huge open-world game like this is enormous. Nintendo’s intention is to have the game as bug free as possible.

Based on what I’ve heard, I have no reason to believe that Breath of the Wild will be a March title. There’s a much higher chance of Breath of the Wild being a summer 2017 game.

On an unrelated note, I’ve also heard whispers of the Switch version of BoTW running more smoothly than the Wii U version. Furthermore, I hear the final version of the game is a bit harder than what the press and media played at E3. Actually, I hear they toned down the E3 demo’s difficulty a tiny bit because they wanted journalists and press members at E3 to have fun exploring.

That’s all for now, but keep your eyes peeled for my next blog post. I’ll be discussing other Switch games later this week."

Curl said it imo. Nintends handling for this game has been shit.

This is crap. Localisation and testing don't interfere with each other. Why should testing wait till localisation is done?

Who knows. We haven't developed a game before, at least something of this scale and magnitude.

It would make sense for NiN to delay both versions from a business perspective. If they launch Zelda on both consoles in March, with low initial production numbers of Switch, it will be sold out everywhere, which would lead to many Wii U owners, or hardcore Zelda fans, looking to get it on Wii U instead, while that console was still available on store shelves.

NiN would much rather stop production of Wii U late 2016, early 2017, let them completely sell out for good, then only have Switch available after March. This would allow NiN to show off what Switch can do over a six month period, hopefully enticing Wii U owners, and Zelda fans, to grab Zelda and Switch mid to late 2017 and completely leave behind the Wii U and move on.

The more Wii U owners that buy Zelda, the longer Wii U will need to be supported, and the longer NiN has to wait for those gamers to buy into next gen. If Zelda is as massive as they say it is, those Wii U owners may hold off on Switch for quite a long time.

With a new hybrid type of console, and new system architecture, NiN is going to want to drop the Wii brand asap and move forward. With Nvidia talking about their close partnership, and bright outlook into the future, this looks to be NiN's PS4/XB1. Custom compatible Tegra chips in each new device from now on.

It makes so much sense for NiN to just say, lets do what needs to be done to leave last gen behind, and focus on this gen, and pump out quality games like there's no tomorrow and don't look back (until the next old skool mini console needs to be released, because ya know...) With the right hardware, at the right price, and constant quality games, most fans will forgive NiN knowing the game plan going forward and will Switch.

Around the Network

Zelda BotW not being launch title would be disappointment, maybe they will just released Wii U version few months later...on other hand Emily track record on Zelda till now is not good.

Also remember that new line of Zelda Amiibos is coming in March also.

Boberkun said:
If delay is going to happen, it will have nothing to localisation issues. Nintendo always fucked up with hardware on the launch. I bet Zelda BotW runs like ass on Switch at the current time. So there are two options for them: delay both versions or cancel Wii U version.

Switch will be noticeable stronger and more capable than Wii U, and we saw Zelda running on Wii U, so hardly that on Switch is running like ass.

I think Nintendo knows Not having BotW ready at launch could seriously hurt the Switch. They've repeated the March Release Date several times and they've shown BotW in their Trailer for the Switch. Not having it a launch would seriously hurt them from a PR standpoint.

SuperNova said:
I think Nintendo knows Not having BotW ready at launch could seriously hurt the Switch. They've repeated the March Release Date several times and they've shown BotW in their Trailer for the Switch. Not having it a launch would seriously hurt them from a PR standpoint.

To be fair they never said Zelda is coming in March, for Zelda is just 2017.

Miyamotoo said:

Switch will be noticeable stronger and more capable than Wii U

You know nothing about Switch specs. It stronger at whole, but I'm not sure that portable version of LoZ:BotW runs better than Wii U version.

Miyamotoo said:

To be fair they never said Zelda is coming in March, for Zelda is just 2017.

They said, in fact. Right after news about simultaneous release of the game, BotW was listed for March 2017 on the site. It was changed later to "2017".