By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Put your PSVR thoughts, reviews, recommendations here 😃😃😃

yesterday, I got a psvr and a ps4pro meaning that im relatively broke for now.
which game at full price should I get ? Battlezone? Eve? Rigs? others?

I want something with a sense of progression (can be to platinum it, if its fun enough)

I got Rez and im currently playing the demo on the psn.

Thank

Around the Network
jenpol said:

I want something with a sense of progression (can be to platinum it, if its fun enough)

Thank

I have Rigs and I really like it. It has a season mode which gives it some progression, but  I think something like Battlezone might be closer to what you're looking for.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Nogamez said:

So thought I would make a little thread here about all things VR related, like what games I've played and what I thought. Feel free to discuss and contribute.

Batman Arkham VR - Very Short, 1 hour playthrough. great graphics. No combat or free roaming ( only warp to pre set destinations). 

Until Dawn. Rush of Blood - my first psvr game and I loved it. Graphics are decent. Plenty of jump scares and just shooting things and enemies is great fun. A little on the short side though but had replay ability ( high scores, multiple routes etc. Would recommend . 

Here They Lie - not played a great deal of this game but what I have is ok. Blurry graphics though and again no combat, just run around avoiding ( pretty scary monsters) Very dark and disturbing. Did give me motion sickness at first though but changed control settings seems better now. 

Kitchen ( resi  evil tease) - Scared the soul out of me. Play it loud and at night. Then hide under duvet until morning. 

VR Playrooms - It's free and alot of fun for a few hours what more can  you ask for? Plus the platforming robot escape shows the future for platformers imo. Great fun.

Looking forward to Robinson The Journey ( 11/11/16) and Paranormal Activity VR (2016) and the big one Resident Evil 7 (24/01/2017)

I bought it but I'm still trying to finish SP stories to BF1, TF2, MW IW, before I get back into PSVR did Demo of Battlezone and Eve in Bestbuy before launch and that was pretty awsome. At home I've only gotten into playroom so far with my daughter, but know she wants to try it but she is too young :[ But played games where she was just controller, perhaps Cat and Mouse she can do since no movement need to read up more on warnings before that happens. :/ I love it can't wait to get into more Battlezone and Rigs and Drive Club. I only play two late nights a week so perhaps this weekend I'll do a 2am'er with VR.

my lad is eight and he loves batman vr and playrooms. Just depends how old your girl is i guess. Think the age 12 is just to safeguard themselves from future claims

jenpol said:

Thank

Since you have a pro, RIGS has some enhancements for it, looks sharper on the pro.
I haven't played Battlezone nor Eve, I rather buy 3 smaller titles for the same price.

What sense of progression are you looking for?
Eagle flight has plenty collectibles and single player challenges, but online it doesn't look like there is any progression.
DriveClub VR was fun to platinum, if you like racing.
Thethered has 13 rts levels to complete, and then conquer if you want all the trophies (seems impossible)
Thumper recently added a Play+ mode to make it even harder. Every level has leaderboards and it will be a while until you S rank the levels.
Robinson The journey looks great on the pro, story based game yet only 3 to 5 hours. Took me closer to 5 hours, still plenty missed, yet not a long game.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
jenpol said:

Thank

What sense of progression are you looking for?

Progression like collecting to get 100% or acquiring upgrade to get stronger till you platinum the game.

I may go with your suggestion of 3 games for the price of a costly one.

Rush of blood really impressed me (with the moves)

even tumbler VR can hook me on some puzzle.

So far im really impress with the tech.

My only trouble is with the interpupils distance settings. I vary from 2.4 to 2.7 inch and im not sure if i see a difference. 

First impressions of Space Rift: Episode 1

Low low budget game. It looks very basic with the worst black level so far. I don't understand what's so difficult about setting black to black. Grey space isn't very spacy. Looking around in 'dark' areas makes the screendoor effect stand out more than in any other game I've played. The game has no loading screens, with pretty lengthy loading times, which means you're simply staring at a dark grey nothing in total silence. No spinning wheel or any other indication that the game hasn't crashed...

The audio from the onboard ship computer is messed up. It could be intentional yet it sounds more like it's clipping over the surround channels. The screen has a weird tic or flicker in it too every so many seconds, very distracting. You can't move around on board the mother ship, instead you look at a viewpoint and press x to go there. However then you have to turn your head 180 degrees to go back... Either get up off your seat or recalibrate the screen looking 90 degrees right, then look 90 degrees left for the viewpoint, and recalibrate again while looking forward, ugh. The screens in your own ship also ask you to look a bit too far down to activate them, as well as having to look a bit too far up for the buttons on the overhead panel. My neck hurts, this game needs eye tracking.

Flying around in space, the sense of scale isn't really there. Space combat is very basic. Compared to this, No Man's sky is a top ace space fighter...

Yet after all that it does have a certain B-movie level charm, creating good atmosphere with some decent music. I still want to play more to see where it goes but it's a shame it didn't get some more polish.

Space is red and there's no black. (Actually looks a lot darker in screenshots, it's a dark grey haze in the headset)

Vev: Viva ex Vivo

Very odd game. Traverse biological samples while attracting and absorbing particles and evading parasites. It's a simple survival game, attempt to set a highscore in 15 minutes per stage. It uses very technical jargon to explain what's going on, so if you're not a microbiologist like me, just race for the particles and evade all the rest :) Best to skip the tutorial stage, empty sleep inducing room, might as well start at the first stage.

There are only 8 stages total, it's only $5, and transitions quite well to VR. It looks very basic yet weaving in between tons of red blood cells while evading antibodies and whatever the little clingy things are that try to steal your stash is quite fun.

It becomes pretty challenging too. This is not flow.

I played some more of Space Rift. I like the atmosphere, yet the gameplay is rather clumsy. The mining part is fun, got to upgrade that ship. Space combat gets old fast, simply fly in reverse to take em out. Your turn rate is about 1/10th of the enemy drones, dog fighting is rather pointless.

Rez is without a doubt the best vr game

Tonight I took the time to play Here they lie.

Positives:
Great place to explore. I don't know if it's intentional (probably) yet everything feels just a tad small, narrow passage ways, low ceilings, giving it a it of a claustrophobic feel. Getting cuaght by the demons is really horrifying, mostly due to the violent shaking of your view point lol. And the sudden burst of color, mostly red. I managed to get away once so it is possible to escape. If you die you end up in red lake with your previous souls standing around, then a hallway re-assembles around you and you enter back into the level through a door. Pretty neat.
Gameplay is pretty standard walking simulator so far, pick up documents, photographs, ringing phones to read/hear bits of story or random musings while trying to find/follow someone. Nothing new, yet interesting bread crumbs anyway.
The surroundings are well made, great level design, immersion is great as well as long as you don't turn...

Negatives:
Worst control scheme yet. You have the choice between pie chart turning, which fades out the screen while turning you too little or too much, totally immersion breaking. Or you can have smoooth turning, however that's not much better as it practically blinds you anyway.

That's what happens every time you touch the right analog stick to turn... Very distracting. Please stop trying to combat motion sickness I don't have, this solution is tiring on my eyes with the on/off tunnel vision all the time.
Walking straight and looking around sucks too. Instead of walking in a straight line while looking to the right and left like you do in real life, the game always goes in the direction you're looking in like a 3rd person game. That feels very off to me. I would normally compensate with strafing yet strafing speed is severely gimped in the game which means you suddenly slow down to a crawl. I would rather have it turn the way you're looking as in RIGS, or not at all. If I'm sitting straight while looking right, I still expect to move the way my body is pointing.
And there is the black level issue again, highlighting the screendoor to further break immersion. I actually started to think it was an inherent problem with the headset since changing the gamma in the options didn't help a bit. So I fired up a night race in DC VR, nope headset is fine, mountains are a prefect black outline against a dark (still visible) sky. Dash board is black with dials lit up, no screendoor problems at all. Same in Thumper, look away to the right or left, perfect black. Hopefully the second wave of VR games gets this black level issue sorted out.

I do want to explore the rest of the game. Yet I wish they had spend more time on better textures than thinking up counter productive control schemes.

Btw some concerns about the durability of the headset. I'm using it about 3 hours a day on average and the lenses are getting quite a bit of wear on them already. I always put them away safely and am very careful while putting them on and taking the off, however there is a scratch now on the left lens from my glasses hitting them and scratches on the right lens from cleaning. I've always cleaned them with the provided cleaning cloth yet perhaps some dust or something on it made a few scratches.
They're not getting all the way clean anymore either. Sony advises against using water or any cleaning fluid yet you can only smear out eyebrow oils so many times before a layer starts forming on the lenses.
Actually while wearing them the damage isn't really noticeable. It looks a lot worse while holding them sideways with the light coming from the display inside. The dirt on my glasses is more pronounced, which are just as hard to keep clean. (You tend to block it out)

Still I'm kinda bummed to find out that the lenses are not replaceable, doesn't look like it in the teardown.

Next gen VR headsets need to take a closer look at how to protect the lenses, or provide an easy way to replace them. My own glasses have $100 worth of protective, anti glare, anti dirt treatments and still need to be replaced every 2 to 4 years. Even better would be adjustable focus so I don't need to wear glasses in them at all.