By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Put your PSVR thoughts, reviews, recommendations here 😃😃😃

I bought Eagle flight and Robinson today (actually traded in 5 old games I won't play again, evened out). I'll try Eagle flight first, although I'm itching to play more Windlands first lol. Has a hardware launch ever had this much software to keep up with...

NES classic is arriving in a few days as well, but I think I'll pass :/ All my funds are going towards VR atm. I guess I could hook up the NES classic to the PSVR unit and play them on the giant virtual screen... PS4 pro first, lot of VR upgrades coming :)

Around the Network

I haven´t bought yet but I am really excited about it, I hope it sells dozens of millions so developers can make amazing games for it.
Resident Evil 7 looks really promissing.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

SvennoJ said:
I bought Eagle flight and Robinson today (actually traded in 5 old games I won't play again, evened out). I'll try Eagle flight first, although I'm itching to play more Windlands first lol. Has a hardware launch ever had this much software to keep up with...

NES classic is arriving in a few days as well, but I think I'll pass :/ All my funds are going towards VR atm. I guess I could hook up the NES classic to the PSVR unit and play them on the giant virtual screen... PS4 pro first, lot of VR upgrades coming :)

I heard the NES is 60 bucks in the US, pretty amazing deal. I hope it is not a limited edition so you can pick it up later

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

WagnerPaiva said:
SvennoJ said:

I heard the NES is 60 bucks in the US, pretty amazing deal. I hope it is not a limited edition so you can pick it up later

It will be CAD 80 here, plus another CAD 20 for a second controller. It's not that much, yet after psvr, ps4 pro and a whole bunch of psvr games... They expect it to be sold out for Christmas (not getting many units) and end up on ebay.

Actually my wife talked me out of it. She knows me and the kids, we'll play with it for a couple of days and shelve it, play it again maybe next holiday. She's probably right. It would still look awesome displayed with my other game related stuff.... Perhaps she's secretly bying me one for Christmas :)

I worry that the Pro is taking a lot of the thunder from PSVR. Yeah, they work hand in hand but still...

Around the Network

Trackmania turbo had a free VR update today with mixed results. (There is a demo too for the VR tracks)

The good news: It looks great in the headset. The simple graphics work beautifully, plus this will be the first VR title to run in native 120fps on the pro (according to the patch info). I played through the ps4 version today and it already feels extremely smooth. Normal 60fps actually felt a bit sluggish going back to normal mode (on the virtual screen)

The bad news: VR mode is restricted to 40 exclusive tracks and no multiplayer. They're all very short, no multi lap ones, and very dumbed down for VR. I think I used the brake twice in all 40 tracks and never had to drift. I got gold on all 40 in under an hour.

The camera can't be controlled by the user, instead it switches between 3rd person, and 1st person depending on the track. In 3rd person the camera is locked and you only get to navigate chicanes, moving the car sideways in front of you which feels rather weird.
For the occasional corner and loop it will switch to 1st person where the camera does turn with you (much better imo) yet it's lagging behind, so up a vertical wall or loop you have to crank your head up close to 90 degrees to see where you are going.

The only times I felt a bit of discomfort was when the camera switches from 1st person back to 3rd person, just let me drive in 1st person mode all the time. And I had a few stomach flutters on the high jumps, feeling of vertigo is there :) Too bad it's all over way too soon. I'll try it again on the pro to see what native 120fps is like.

I tried the original game on the VR screen after, yet soon remembered why I left off, so frigging hard lol. Is there no middle ground! It would be better if you could play the normal campaign in VR, it makes it easier to judge gaps and corners. Motion sickness be damned.

Eagle flight, initial impressions, fun!

It's quite simple, you turn by looking and by tilting you head to turn faster, R2 to speed up, R1 to slow down for tight spaces. The single player mode consists of a bunch of navigational courses, including challenge courses through tunnels (subway, catacombs, etc), catch fish chalenges or defend/defeat enemies by sending out screech pulses with the square button. (No rapid fire, got to aim carefully, 1 hit kills)

For example of how it looks, one of the challenge flights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzjAWuk5-HM

The field of view is bigger in the headset, you don't see the eagle's beak in the video which is always below you in view. I guess a good reference point to combat motion sickness (hardly felt any effects at all in this game, only when quick turning at full speed while diving down as well). The game narrows the fov in tight turns by darkening out the edges, not sure why. It looks quite severe in the video capture, less intrusive in game but you definitely notice it.

The graphics are decent, lighting is nice, draw distance is great. Don't expect any detailed textures or anything, it is very smooth though. The sun postition doesn't seem to be dynamic, changes by chapter. The second chapter is cloudy with light rain. Most laughable rain effect since ps1. It falls straight down in an area upto 10 ft in front of you, completely oblivious to your movement or anything else. Luckily it's not intrusive, yet for a 2016 game, wth.

The game is easy to pick up and diving down to swoop through narrow alleys feels great. There seems quite a bit to do, 5 areas with story and expert challenges to unlock and collectibles to find. The story is told documentary style with some pre-rendered cut scenes (very odd to get a 360 2D video as a cut scene, or a 30fps 3D one later on). It can hardly be called a story so far though, the life of eagles, eagles eat fish, go catch fish. Maybe something will happen later (I'm only on the second mission of chapter 2 out of 5) but it's no Tokyo Jungle.

Multiplayer is supposedly there to keep the game interesting. There is only 1 mode, 3 vs 3 capture the flag. There was only 1 other person there at 2am. I'm not sure if 1 hit kills are a good fit for this. I beat the other guy 3-0, too easy to take someone out if they don't go zig zag through buildings at full speed. It should be more fun with 6 people.

This is the first VR game that had some residual effects on me. I played for a bit under 2 hours, came up the stairs directly after stretching my neck and while tilting my head I guess my brain was expecting my vision to turn. Odd sensation, kind of like when your getting dizzy and your vision starts shifting. It was gone after a few minutes.

Fun game but it could use the wackiness and survival gameplay of Tokyo Jungle. I would give it a 7/10 based on the first 2 hours.

SvennoJ said:

cheers for your input i always value gamers first hand experience of games over journalists. Hoping Robinson turns out to be decent

Very initial impressions of Robinson The Journey:

Looks good, however it's another one of those psvr titles with improper black level. Like Until Dawn black is actually dark gray which emphasizes the screen door effect. During very dark scenes or simply 'black' screens my eyes start to focus on the screendoor or pixel structure that's still uniformly lighted. I don't know why certain titles do that and not others, but it's kinda distracting. During brighter scenes the screendoor effect is much less noticeable and you tend to forget about, until you get reminded off it again during a fade. (For example DriveClub has no such issues, night races have proper black and you never notice the screendoor effect, as well as other titles like Rez, Thumper, etc)

The graphics look decent, yet the attempt at more realistic graphics has its limitations. The low res nature stands out more here when you look in the distance, I'm curious if the pro today will alleviate that a little. More stylish games suffer far less from this. Windlands and Eagle flight have very long draw distances, yet the stylish nature makes detail in the distance appear better than it is.

Smooth turning works great, movement speed is a bit slow, interaction works fine, sense of scale is great. What I did notice though is that the frame rate reprojection to 120fps only works on your head movements. Turning your head always looks smooth. Yet spinning in place with smooth turning, ie that game view rotates, reveals it's just a 60fps game. You see it stepping along the faster you spin. (Warning it will give you the feeling you're stuck on a merry go round while spinning in place!)

Gameplay, I didn't get far yet. All these late nights have started to wear on me, I crashed last night. Falling asleep with the headset on didn't seem that comfortable to me so I called it quits after only 20 minutes. Should not have played DC vr first, but it's just so good :) Looks like an interesting game anyway.

SvennoJ said:

Very initial impressions of Robinson The Journey:

Looks good, however it's another one of those psvr titles with improper black level. Like Until Dawn black is actually dark gray which emphasizes the screen door effect. During very dark scenes or simply 'black' screens my eyes start to focus on the screendoor or pixel structure that's still uniformly lighted. I don't know why certain titles do that and not others, but it's kinda distracting. During brighter scenes the screendoor effect is much less noticeable and you tend to forget about, until you get reminded off it again during a fade. (For example DriveClub has no such issues, night races have proper black and you never notice the screendoor effect, as well as other titles like Rez, Thumper, etc)

The graphics look decent, yet the attempt at more realistic graphics has its limitations. The low res nature stands out more here when you look in the distance, I'm curious if the pro today will alleviate that a little. More stylish games suffer far less from this. Windlands and Eagle flight have very long draw distances, yet the stylish nature makes detail in the distance appear better than it is.

Smooth turning works great, movement speed is a bit slow, interaction works fine, sense of scale is great. What I did notice though is that the frame rate reprojection to 120fps only works on your head movements. Turning your head always looks smooth. Yet spinning in place with smooth turning, ie that game view rotates, reveals it's just a 60fps game. You see it stepping along the faster you spin. (Warning it will give you the feeling you're stuck on a merry go round while spinning in place!)

Gameplay, I didn't get far yet. All these late nights have started to wear on me, I crashed last night. Falling asleep with the headset on didn't seem that comfortable to me so I called it quits after only 20 minutes. Should not have played DC vr first, but it's just so good :) Looks like an interesting game anyway.

You should still go to sleep with the headset on if only to fool yourself when you wake up. The freak out would be legendary!