By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Obama talks Atheism in the US and Science

LadyJasmine said:
I think the issue is a person who says they do not believe in God and the belittles people who does is most likely cant be an effective leader as he would be intolerant

Erm... what about the one that believes things without proof? Actually, that does ring a bell!

And no atheist or agnostic people actually treasure human life more than religious people who only see it as a test or temporary state to a different existence. Atheist give no prejudice against select minorities because it says so on their handboek either.

Ignorance might be shunned upon though. But is that a bad thing?

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
m_csquare said:
Yt comment section is killing me. Yesterday, they said obama is a muslim. Now, he's an atheist. What's next? Obama's an alien?

Idk, Obama is pretty suspicious... 

He's definitely an alien. One of my sources told me this.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Nem said:
WolfpackN64 said:

It's not because you're an atheïst that you're enlightned, it's not because you're religious that you're not enlightned.

If anything, there are probably more agnostic people then pure atheïsts.

That is such a religious thing to say. In truth there is no difference between agnostic and atheist. Agnostic is the default position. Atheists just dare to say what agnostics already know. 

He did say 75% of america is religious in the video though. So, agnostic wasn't a thing.

Don't speak for all agnostics. I'm an agnostic and I don't necessarily believe in a god nor do I necessarily believe what science says in correct either. I personally believe anyone who claims to know the answer is being niave. 

StarOcean said:
Nem said:

That is such a religious thing to say. In truth there is no difference between agnostic and atheist. Agnostic is the default position. Atheists just dare to say what agnostics already know. 

He did say 75% of america is religious in the video though. So, agnostic wasn't a thing.

Don't speak for all agnostics. I'm an agnostic and I don't necessarily believe in a god nor do I necessarily believe what science says in correct either. I personally believe anyone who claims to know the answer is being niave. 

Science doesn't say "I know the answer," it says "this is our best theory based on the information right now."  This is always the case, and many times it's been wrong in the past.  Anyone who claims to know the answer is jumping to conclusions.

RushJet1 on: 

Bandcamp

YouTube

Twitter

RushJet1 said:
StarOcean said:

Science doesn't say "I know the answer," it says "this is our best theory based on the information right now."  This is always the case, and many times it's been wrong in the past.  Anyone who claims to know the answer is jumping to conclusions.

I didn't say science said that. I was referring to people themselves. Of course, science lets people come to their own conclusions, but anyone who treats their conclusions as the right and only answer are ignorant

Around the Network
Nem said:
WolfpackN64 said:

It's not because you're an atheïst that you're enlightned, it's not because you're religious that you're not enlightned.

If anything, there are probably more agnostic people then pure atheïsts.

There is a difference between being agnostic and atheistic. Your oversimplification isn't very correct.

mutantsushi said:

Well that was a nice softball pitch of Bill Maher, neglecting to discuss the HRC campaign's attempt to use the atheism of her primary competitor Sanders as a weapon against him, based on anti-atheist hostility.  Atheism and perceived leftism apparently being bigger evils than Trump for HRC, given Sanders was polling better than her vs. Trump at the time.  

And bigger picture, it is not merely about religious zealots with hostility to atheists, but atheists and agnostics themselves who are willing to go along with such hostility in order to further their own power or agenda (to the extent of hiding their atheism, as Lugaro "should have done" according to "common sense"). But that really leads to a shared dynamic of religion and atheism, in that despite one being a positive belief while the other is a negative belief, they both are categories which really fail to be definitive categories of meaning, with internal differences in both camps arguably as large as between the camps, and neither camp really able to function as solid interest faction vs. sub-sections within each in fact having reason to ally with factions within the other camp against factions of their own camp. Climate change, abortion, gay rights, worker rights and social justice, etc... all make the theist/atheist divide meaningless.

I think it is about people's comfort zone, and a differing philosophical belief which is perceived to challenge their own makes some people feel uncomfortable. Obviously, most people would prefer to back politicians whose philosophical/religious beliefs exactly match theirs... of course since that isn't possible for the vast majority of people the vast majority of the time, most implicitly do accept difference by focusing on core values which are most important to them. So the question is whether the mere distinction of religion vs. atheism is really the primary core value for them, so much that somebody else who is ignorant, selfish, destructive, careless, etc, but who claims compatable (even if not identical) religious belief, is their preferred political option.   Or I suppose it is the desire for religion to be their central belief above all others, and inability to reconcile that desire with the fact that they may share as many or more beliefs with certain atheists or agnostics than with others who claim to share same belief re: religion, a situation which implicitly undercuts the centrality of their religious belief.  Thus hostility to atheists is as much avoidance of dealing with that situation, rather than it is about overt hatred of atheists qua atheists.  In other words, it is not hatred/fear of atheists, but hatred/fear of idea of finding common ground with atheists vs. other religious people, which threatens to undercut the centrality of their religious belief.

I see people like the Catholic Pope who now even state that atheists are eligible to go to heaven, as an example of those able to overcome that divide to focus on truer core values for them. Obviously many are yet unable to make that leap. Obviously, as shown by the proportion of atheist population vs. atheist politicians, atheist people (who vote/ politically participate) are in large part able to overcome that distinction to support religious politicans with shared core values and agendas. Part of the issue is visibility, or discrepancy in visibility, namely that religious politicians may be happy to receive support of atheists, but some religious people are averse to giving their support to politicians who merely are open about their atheism. (to distinguish between atheists actively hostile to religion, who themselves make the distinction the issue)  And getting back to previous point, the difference could also be that many atheists don't make atheism their core central belief over all other beliefs, of course being merely a negative/lack of belief, it is more amenable to being juggled as one belief amongst others (that again, they obviously would prefer supporting politicians with 100% matching beliefs, but atheism doesn't need to be that central belief)  

Obama bringing up the "but at least atheists are rarely overtly oppressed or harmed, outside of politics" is obviously sidestepping the gross assymettry of the situation, honestly in a way that could be compared to many other political issues.  E.g., "blacks are no longer enslaved or officially segregated, so there is no problem", "everybody has 1 vote and free speech, so there is no problem with political representation or structure of politics", etc.  Obviously it is good to not have the worst case scenario, but how does that obviate the need to address more nuanced issues?  And like all these topics, it isn't even about one "side" or group winning or losing, but about the process of engagement.  The media personality Maher seemed to engage Obama on this issue thru noting Obama actually mentioned the existence of atheists in public speech, which is an utter rarity despite atheists being part of civil society for many centuries, better forgotten than to bring up what is uncomfortable to some.  Obviously nobody actually forgets atheists existence, but it is easier for some to avoid thinking of them, then feel stress when pushed "how to create a possitive narrative about the existence of atheists and my co-existence with them".

I unfortunately do not closely follow PR politics, but from first glance Googling, I take it that candidate Lugaro's position on PR sovereignty/status with US is... agnostic? I'm not sure how viable that position is (at least in long term), given the number of other issues that tie in with it, though I guess if the perspective is just taken as short-term policy it can have appeal in a situation where larger issues are unresolved, albeit it does implicitly end up promoting a certain perspective, not the least by simply removing those long term political issues from consideration to leave only narrow details as political choices... That said, it perhaps makes it even more silly how that agnosticism is not the issue, but her atheism re: religion is.

The lucidity in this post ought not be overlooked. Gold star.

m_csquare said:
Yt comment section is killing me. Yesterday, they said obama is a muslim. Now, he's an atheist. What's next? Obama's an alien?

Obama is a Changeling that has the power to morph into everything people dislike, hate and fear.

SkepticallyMinded said:
I don't think anyone would be upset with Christians in America were they not so stalwartly ignorant when it comes to scientific matters. The delusional mentality that evolution is not established, that mankind and dinosaurs coexisted, and that the Earth is flat is truly troublesome.

You'd think that in this day and age having someone believing the Earth is flat would be out of the question but then look at this example of a rapper thinking that because in his "opinion" it didn't make sense then the Earth shouldn't be round:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/01/29/entertainment/neil-degrasse-tyson-bob-flat-earth-twitter-spat/

Fortunately Mr. Tyson schooled this guy.

Education is key and sometimes it is lacking. I remember I had to get around knowing about evolution after watching a movie when I was a kid and wasn't informed of it at all in school.

mutantsushi said:

Well that was a nice softball pitch of Bill Maher, neglecting to discuss the HRC campaign's attempt to use the atheism of her primary competitor Sanders as a weapon against him, based on anti-atheist hostility.  Atheism and perceived leftism apparently being bigger evils than Trump for HRC, given Sanders was polling better than her vs. Trump at the time.  

And bigger picture, it is not merely about religious zealots with hostility to atheists, but atheists and agnostics themselves who are willing to go along with such hostility in order to further their own power or agenda (to the extent of hiding their atheism, as Lugaro "should have done" according to "common sense"). But that really leads to a shared dynamic of religion and atheism, in that despite one being a positive belief while the other is a negative belief, they both are categories which really fail to be definitive categories of meaning, with internal differences in both camps arguably as large as between the camps, and neither camp really able to function as solid interest faction vs. sub-sections within each in fact having reason to ally with factions within the other camp against factions of their own camp. Climate change, abortion, gay rights, worker rights and social justice, etc... all make the theist/atheist divide meaningless.

I think it is about people's comfort zone, and a differing philosophical belief which is perceived to challenge their own makes some people feel uncomfortable. Obviously, most people would prefer to back politicians whose philosophical/religious beliefs exactly match theirs... of course since that isn't possible for the vast majority of people the vast majority of the time, most implicitly do accept difference by focusing on core values which are most important to them. So the question is whether the mere distinction of religion vs. atheism is really the primary core value for them, so much that somebody else who is ignorant, selfish, destructive, careless, etc, but who claims compatable (even if not identical) religious belief, is their preferred political option.   Or I suppose it is the desire for religion to be their central belief above all others, and inability to reconcile that desire with the fact that they may share as many or more beliefs with certain atheists or agnostics than with others who claim to share same belief re: religion, a situation which implicitly undercuts the centrality of their religious belief.  Thus hostility to atheists is as much avoidance of dealing with that situation, rather than it is about overt hatred of atheists qua atheists.  In other words, it is not hatred/fear of atheists, but hatred/fear of idea of finding common ground with atheists vs. other religious people, which threatens to undercut the centrality of their religious belief.

I see people like the Catholic Pope who now even state that atheists are eligible to go to heaven, as an example of those able to overcome that divide to focus on truer core values for them. Obviously many are yet unable to make that leap. Obviously, as shown by the proportion of atheist population vs. atheist politicians, atheist people (who vote/ politically participate) are in large part able to overcome that distinction to support religious politicans with shared core values and agendas. Part of the issue is visibility, or discrepancy in visibility, namely that religious politicians may be happy to receive support of atheists, but some religious people are averse to giving their support to politicians who merely are open about their atheism. (to distinguish between atheists actively hostile to religion, who themselves make the distinction the issue)  And getting back to previous point, the difference could also be that many atheists don't make atheism their core central belief over all other beliefs, of course being merely a negative/lack of belief, it is more amenable to being juggled as one belief amongst others (that again, they obviously would prefer supporting politicians with 100% matching beliefs, but atheism doesn't need to be that central belief)  

Obama bringing up the "but at least atheists are rarely overtly oppressed or harmed, outside of politics" is obviously sidestepping the gross assymettry of the situation, honestly in a way that could be compared to many other political issues.  E.g., "blacks are no longer enslaved or officially segregated, so there is no problem", "everybody has 1 vote and free speech, so there is no problem with political representation or structure of politics", etc.  Obviously it is good to not have the worst case scenario, but how does that obviate the need to address more nuanced issues?  And like all these topics, it isn't even about one "side" or group winning or losing, but about the process of engagement.  The media personality Maher seemed to engage Obama on this issue thru noting Obama actually mentioned the existence of atheists in public speech, which is an utter rarity despite atheists being part of civil society for many centuries, better forgotten than to bring up what is uncomfortable to some.  Obviously nobody actually forgets atheists existence, but it is easier for some to avoid thinking of them, then feel stress when pushed "how to create a possitive narrative about the existence of atheists and my co-existence with them".

I unfortunately do not closely follow PR politics, but from first glance Googling, I take it that candidate Lugaro's position on PR sovereignty/status with US is... agnostic? I'm not sure how viable that position is (at least in long term), given the number of other issues that tie in with it, though I guess if the perspective is just taken as short-term policy it can have appeal in a situation where larger issues are unresolved, albeit it does implicitly end up promoting a certain perspective, not the least by simply removing those long term political issues from consideration to leave only narrow details as political choices... That said, it perhaps makes it even more silly how that agnosticism is not the issue, but her atheism re: religion is.

1) It's true. Bill Maher went easy on Obama about DNC trying to hold Bernie Sanders' beliefs (whatever they were cuz I still don't know what he beliefs or not) against him.

2) This:

"I think it is about people's comfort zone, and a differing philosophical belief which is perceived to challenge their own makes some people feel uncomfortable. Obviously, most people would prefer to back politicians whose philosophical/religious beliefs exactly match theirs... of course since that isn't possible for the vast majority of people the vast majority of the time, most implicitly do accept difference by focusing on core values which are most important to them. So the question is whether the mere distinction of religion vs. atheism is really the primary core value for them, so much that somebody else who is ignorant, selfish, destructive, careless, etc, but who claims compatable (even if not identical) religious belief, is their preferred political option.   Or I suppose it is the desire for religion to be their central belief above all others, and inability to reconcile that desire with the fact that they may share as many or more beliefs with certain atheists or agnostics than with others who claim to share same belief re: religion, a situation which implicitly undercuts the centrality of their religious belief.  Thus hostility to atheists is as much avoidance of dealing with that situation, rather than it is about overt hatred of atheists qua atheists.  In other words, it is not hatred/fear of atheists, but hatred/fear of idea of finding common ground with atheists vs. other religious people, which threatens to undercut the centrality of their religious belief."

I agree. I would add lazyness in religious people, or anyone who is not  acquainted with a paritcular group, in getting to know a person or candidate in order to know what that person stands for or how fit they are to take office. The void of not knowing how a person is regardless of beliefs is filled with stereotypes or made up ideas about how that group is or must be.

3) "I unfortunately do not closely follow PR politics, but from first glance Googling, I take it that candidate Lugaro's position on PR sovereignty/status with US is... agnostic? I'm not sure how viable that position is (at least in long term), given the number of other issues that tie in with it, though I guess if the perspective is just taken as short-term policy it can have appeal in a situation where larger issues are unresolved, albeit it does implicitly end up promoting a certain perspective, not the least by simply removing those long term political issues from consideration to leave only narrow details as political choices... That said, it perhaps makes it even more silly how that agnosticism is not the issue, but her atheism re: religion is."

Religion here is engraved in pretty much everything. News casters and TV hosts for example tend to speak of God and bring aspects of Christianity regularly.

So far all I've read regarding candidate Lugaro is that she is an atheist. When approached about her belief and being a governor in a Christian country she said she comes to represent and work for all Puerto Ricans, be it Christians, Muslims, Jewish, non-believers, etc.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

LadyJasmine said:
I think the issue is a person who says they do not believe in God and the belittles people who does is most likely cant be an effective leader as he would be intolerant

I'm now sure how that is the issue?  The largest portion of atheists and agnostics make no such attempt to belittle anybody.
Obviously belittling people is not a good strategy to attract political support.  Yet this largest percentage is marginalized,
and holds no visible public position politically, at least in the USA and Puerto Rico which have been discussed here.
Yet reather than deal with the situation facing that largest percentage of non-believers, you think the issue is an aggressive minority.
Isn't that just evading the issue?

StarOcean said:
Nem said:

Believe in science? You don't need to believe in science. Theres is no belief system in science. What is claimed with cetainty Is all demonstrable. What science doesnt know it says it doesnt know yet. It doesn't pretend to know.