By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Obama talks Atheism in the US and Science

LadyJasmine said:
I do not think most people are deeply religious or fiery atheists.

They are in the middle.

I dislike people who are atheists that say you believe in 'God' so you think the earth is a few thousand year old...

Life is not that simple...

wow, now you're defending people like Bin Laden!? I wouldn't be surprised if you support terrorism or child abuse.

You are disgusting- apologists always wanting to defend these types of people. It's either atheism or nothing else.

/sarcasm

But yeah, unfortunately the militant atheists do nothing but give a bad image to themselves. As with the extremists of other religions, there is always one group which takes it too far.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Nem said:

These are religious terms. They make no sense to begin with. Its just a way to give religious people a defense mechnism. Atheism is the belief there is no God. But alas, that isnt a belief. Theres no belief system. The default position is to not believe in things that aren't proven. These are terms pitched by religious people to say "Oh, that is YOUR belief". It's not. Its the lack of.

If it makes you feel better, its the same thing to just say Atheism isnt a thing. We are all Atheists or Agnostics. Pick Agnostic if it makes you feel better, but at the end of the day its the same thing. It's just feigning neutrality.

You really are the light of the party. No it's not the same thing. They're distinctly different. I'm not agnostic because I think I'll be agnostic all my life. I'm agnostic because atm, I'm not adhering to any religion or belief system and because I'm certainly not an atheïst.

Fine. Why aren't you an atheist then?

Nem said:
WolfpackN64 said:

You really are the light of the party. No it's not the same thing. They're distinctly different. I'm not agnostic because I think I'll be agnostic all my life. I'm agnostic because atm, I'm not adhering to any religion or belief system and because I'm certainly not an atheïst.

I believe in an afterlife and I think there are higher powers between all living things.

25% being none of the above doesn't mean 25% are atheist/agnotic.

The world fact book 2014 estimate has the numbers as: Protestant 46.5%, Roman Catholic 20.8%, Mormon 1.6%, Jehovah's Witness 0.8%, other Christian 0.9%, Jewish 1.9%, Muslim 0.9%, Buddhist 0.7%, Hindu 0.7%, other 1.8%, unaffiliated 22.8%, don't know/refused 0.6% (2014 est.)

I personally know a few people (not Americans), who believe in God but do not identify themselves to any religion, or spiritual movement. So out of those options they would chose "unaffiliated" not "other". Athiests / Agnostics might make up a majority of the "unaffiliated" group, but they don;t make up the totality of that group.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

WolfpackN64 said:
Nem said:

I believe in an afterlife and I think there are higher powers between all living things.

You don't call yourself agnostic because you are unaffiliated with any organised religion or spiritual doctrine. You call yourself agnotic because you doubt there can be anything known of the nature or existence of God. You neither believe nor not believe in God as it is simply an unanswerable question. But that is not the same as not having a religious affiliation. 

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Nem said:

So, you say you are agnostic, but you have beliefs? Newsflash! You are not agnostic.

pray4mojo said:
Nem said:

Atheists just dare to say what agnostics already know.

An agnostic is basically someone who proclaims that they DON'T know the answers that become known once one dies etc. They're entirely different things.

Yes, and the atheist thinks the same thing. They just know that its incredibly unlikely that he exists. But there is no belief system.

PS:sorry for the double post. I keep forgetting this forum works differently to the other one i use where it auto edits your last post. >.<

Nem said:
WolfpackN64 said:

So, you say you are agnostic, but you have beliefs? Newsflash! You are not agnostic.

I still don't agree with your defiition of agnosticism.

WolfpackN64 said:
Nem said:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/agnostic?jss=0

"a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience."

I don't know what your definition is, but it is clear its not the same as that one.

WolfpackN64 said:
Nem said:

An Agnostic is an Atheist by default, on the meantime, open to change in the hypthetical case that evidence in the existance of some sort of god or gods is found.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1