By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo allow mods?

Tagged games:

Will Nintendo allow mods?

Nintendo will fully allow mods. 7 9.21%

Nintendo will allow mods,... 12 15.79%

Nintendo won't allow mods. 53 69.74%

Mod Pokemon to add all regions!!! 4 5.26%

Total:76
Barkley said:
onionberry said:

if skyrim or fallout are on the switch there are going to be mods

Why? It didn't even look like it was going to happen on PS4 for the longest time. Nintendo's hardly known for being progressive.

But I'd be happy to bet for 1 month sig control that If Skyrim launches on the Switch it will not get mods. (Under the condition that mods aren't INSANELY gimped, PS4 is limited to 1gb, so if Switch Mods are limited to LESS than 256mb bet is off!!!)

this is why I think what I think:

"none of the games we've announced are being developed for the Wii U, so it's guaranteed that none of those games are coming to Wii U. Will any future ones come out? I can't say for sure, in our near-term focus it's not on our radar. Bethesda aims to make the games that we want to make, on whatever platforms will support them as developed." - Pete Hines

"Nintendo, as a maker of a platform, you want to constantly be in touch with them, to see what they’re doing, where they’re headed, and whether or not there might be some opportunities down the line, with where they’re going."

So if Nintendo were to, hypothetically, come out with a system as powerful as the Xbox One, Bethesda would support it? Hines response was emphatically positive. “Then it will absolutely be something that we consider. Okay… let’s say they come out and say tomorrow it does X, Y, and Z. Well, Dishonored 2 is way down the road, it’s not in the conversation. But anything that is in development, I think we’d take a look at and see if technically does it line up with what they’re doing." -Pete Hines

Switch reveal:

So Bethesda clearly said "we are going to make games for Nintendo if we can make the games as intended" and I think that mods are an integral part of their open world games, now on consoles too. 

Around the Network
onionberry said:

So Bethesda clearly said "we are going to make games for Nintendo if we can make the games as intended" and I think that mods are an integral part of their open world games, now on consoles too. 

Yet it seemed unlikely either Skyrim or Fallout 4 were going to get mods on PS4 for a while. I don't think Mods have to be available, If sony told em to GTFO and said they couldn't have mods Bethesda games would still continue to release on that platform.

I'm 99.9% certain we won't be seeing mods on Switch.

Barkley said:
onionberry said:

Yet it seemed unlikely either Skyrim or Fallout 4 were going to get mods on PS4 for a while. I don't think Mods have to be available, If sony told em to GTFO and said they couldn't have mods Bethesda games would still continue to release on that platform.

I know what you're saying and I understand the scepticism, but sony has the best selling console of this generation so they can say "fuck off", and they were pretty sure about the mods support at e3, so I guess something happened after that. Nintendo needs Bethesda more than Bethesda needs Nintendo, So I don't think that Bethesda is going to support Nintendo if there are limitations and restrictions, why would they release a late port of skyrim with less features and be so excited about it? I'm just using critical thinking and what seems logical for Bethesda. Plus it goes in hands with the statements of Pete. 

onionberry said:
Barkley said:

I know what you're saying and I understand the scepticism, but sony has the best selling console of this generation so they can say "fuck off", and they were pretty sure about the mods support at e3, so I guess something happened after that. Nintendo needs Bethesda more than Bethesda needs Nintendo, So I don't think that Bethesda is going to support Nintendo if there are limitations and restrictions, why would they release a late port of skyrim with less feature and be so excited about it? I'm just using critical thinking and what seems logical for Bethesda. Plus it goes in hands with the statements of Pete. 

I understand where you're coming from, I just think you overestimate how important having mods in the game is to Bethesda, I don't think it's something that would stop them from releasing on a console, even a Nintendo console. We'll find out eventually anyway.

Nintendo, at best, may take the Sony mod route. In-game resources only.

Around the Network

One of the two Japanese systems is already tight on mods, I doubt the other one will be as open as Xbox, so no.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

lol I highly doubt it.

I don't think so, for a couple of reasons.

First is related to hardware. Alterations would have to made to the entire framework and I do not believe Bethesda would do that. In addition, that would put a much greater burden on modders and you'd see very few mods ported over if it's very different. Remember that mods are made by PC gamers, some of whom aren't even interested in porting to Xbox, much less a Nintendo handheld.

Second, Nintendo is known to be conservative, especially when dealing with western developers. If the above issues are worked out, I still imagine Nintendo would go the Sony route for fear of illegal, damaging, or inappropriate mods showing up.

Barkley said:

I understand where you're coming from, I just think you overestimate how important having mods in the game is to Bethesda, I don't think it's something that would stop them from releasing on a console, even a Nintendo console. We'll find out eventually anyway.

Well tbh a good number of good mods are small in size so don't take up much storage space so the can be mods just maybe not the much larger ones.

If Nintendo themselves don't say no, I would imagine there would be some kind of hardware limitations in place. Of course, I could be surprised and Bethesda might get a yes and make it work.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames