By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch vs WiiU vs Xbox One vs PS4 (Last Update: January 12, 2017)

Intrinsic said:
fatslob-:O said:
The "supposed" Pascal microarchitecture featured in the Nintendo Switch has a few nuggets over the current home consoles GPU ...

OP should also know that CPU and MEM configuration is all speculation until launch, even the GPU too! 

Guess it should also be noted that on thr latest Switch leak its ssid that the Switch isn't even using Pascal architecture. And instead using Nvidias Maxwell architecture. 

Which puts it in shield territory as far as power goes. 

Idk if I'd use that article tbh. They say that they expect the Switch is going to have more than 1 Teraflop in that article so...

"To give you a sense, we expect the Nintendo Switch to be more than 1 teraflop in performance, but far less than the 6 teraflops that Microsoft is promising for Scorpio."

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I just don't see Switch competing with PS4

Captain_Yuri said:
Intrinsic said:

Guess it should also be noted that on thr latest Switch leak its ssid that the Switch isn't even using Pascal architecture. And instead using Nvidias Maxwell architecture. 

Idk if I'd use that article tbh. They say that they expect the Switch is going to have more than 1 Teraflop in that article so...

"To give you a sense, we expect the Nintendo Switch to be more than 1 teraflop in performance, but far less than the 6 teraflops that Microsoft is promising for Scorpio."

yeah i know, there is a lot of poorly researched data in that article. Like they quoted the peak potential of the tegra X1 processor but ignored the form factor Nintendo is going for. 

But my point is, we really cant take anything at all we hear as fact when it comes to the switch.... there have been too many rumors and everything has something out there that will contradict it. 

Intrinsic said:
Captain_Yuri said:

yeah i know, there is a lot of poorly researched data in that article. Like they quoted the peak potential of the tegra X1 processor but ignored the form factor Nintendo is going for. 

But my point is, we really cant take anything at all we hear as fact when it comes to the switch.... there have been too many rumors and everything has something out there that will contradict it. 

True dat

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Intrinsic said:
The "supposed" Pascal microarchitecture featured in the Nintendo Switch has a few nuggets over the current home consoles GPU ...

OP should also know that CPU and MEM configuration is all speculation until launch, even the GPU too! 

No it doesn't. That is architecture not power and actual devs on GAF say retail is Pascal.

Around the Network

Btw yes the op for NS is based on rumors and will likely change. That goes without saying but I do say that in the op.

superchunk said:
Intrinsic said:

No it doesn't. That is architecture not power and actual devs on GAF say retail is Pascal.

Wait what?

So are you suggesting architecture and a systems power is in no way related? Do you know that from simply knowing what chip architecture a system is based on you can deduce what kimda power it would have in relation to its form factor, what else is out there....etc. 

eg... if this maxwell rumour is true, not saying it is, then it means the switch is based on a tegra X1 chip. It could be customized to have somethings in a tegra X2 chip but it's still based on a tegra X1. And then consider that chip has to fit in a package designed for mobiity. battery life...etc. 

Now even if it's based on the Pascal, which is what the original rumors suggest, then at best we are looking at 600-700GF in GPU performance. Anyways, don't take my word for it, we will hopefully find out in a few weeks. Though if it's the Nintendo I know, they will conveniently leave out any concrete technical specs. 

Intrinsic said:

Yes, we should wait for official info, bevause  right now and switch related info is literally a crap shoot. For everyone thing you can say, there will be something else said that proves otherwise. 

And the Maxwell architecture can be as advanced as it wants, it's still not going to hold a candle to the HD twins. I don't know how anyone looks at this, if the XB1 struggles to run games at 900p, people somehow think the Switch with around half the power of the XB1 will somehow match running the same games the XB1 is running? What kimda sorcery is that? Even if running at 720p, a lot of concessions would have to be made. And if it's using the Maxwell architecture, all this talk of half the power of the XB1 wouldn't even be true, that can only happen if it were using Pascal which would have allowed it run at higher clocks while churning out less heat. 

Anyways, we will find out soon enough. 

Even if the Switch we're using the Pascal architecture it still can't come anywhere near half of the X1 in terms of raw compute power, maybe a third but definitely not a half ... 

The laws of physics should be able to preclude the Switch from getting most of the AAA games built specifically for the HD twins ... 

I have no faith in the Switch getting ports from HD twins when it's brother struggles with ports from sub-HD twins LOL ... 

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - (half the framerate of the Xbox 360) 

Resident Evil 5 - (no anti-aliasing, worse performance and textures compared to the Xbox 360) 

And that's the best the mighty Switch is going to do ?! LMAO ... 

Intrinsic said:

Wait what?

So are you suggesting architecture and a systems power is in no way related? Do you know that from simply knowing what chip architecture a system is based on you can deduce what kimda power it would have in relation to its form factor, what else is out there....etc. 

eg... if this maxwell rumour is true, not saying it is, then it means the switch is based on a tegra X1 chip. It could be customized to have somethings in a tegra X2 chip but it's still based on a tegra X1. And then consider that chip has to fit in a package designed for mobiity. battery life...etc. 

Now even if it's based on the Pascal, which is what the original rumors suggest, then at best we are looking at 600-700GF in GPU performance. Anyways, don't take my word for it, we will hopefully find out in a few weeks. Though if it's the Nintendo I know, they will conveniently leave out any concrete technical specs. 

We agree overall and yes Max vs Pas will have some impact on power, however, that is not the significant difference. The architecture's significant difference is on size, heat and efficiency. Which is why an insider/dev on Gaf is still confident that dev kits have maxwell (which is all that the article from yesterday is saying) and the retail units (smaller form factor bodies running almost solely on battery) have pascal. 

Even if the Switch we're using the Pascal architecture it still can't come anywhere near half of the X1 in terms of raw compute power, maybe a third but definitely not a half ... 

The laws of physics should be able to preclude the Switch from getting most of the AAA games built specifically for the HD twins ... 

I have no faith in the Switch getting ports from HD twins when it's brother struggles with ports from sub-HD twins LOL ... 

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - (half the framerate of the Xbox 360) 

Resident Evil 5 - (no anti-aliasing, worse performance and textures compared to the Xbox 360) 

And that's the best the mighty Switch is going to do ?! LMAO ... 

You're focusing too much on flops as an end-all value for power. First of all, it very much can be half the flops as that is what all documentation of X2/Denver/Pascal states. Secondly, when you factor in that NS has a better CPU and the ram is similar, then I'd bet soundly that the NS is at least 1/2 that of a Xbox One.