By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm feeling the Switch will struggle to sell 10 million units.

spemanig said:
Nuvendil said:

My point was that the Wii U could have had Pokemon and maybe it would have eeked out a paltry 18 to 20mil.  Cause no ammount of quality content matters if your ads are uninformative (like most of the Wii U's ads), embarrassing (everything from launch to mid 2014 and still at times beyond), clumsy (almost all of them), generic (all the 2012 and early 2013 ads), or absent (the Wii U had incredibly, inexcusably sparse promotion).  The 3DS had better everything frankly.  Like I said, doesn't matter much what the Switch has, if it has the same marketing muscle as the Wii U, you may as well burry it now.  if it has an aggressive ad campaign, I don't think it needs Pokemon.  

Also, what 16, 32, 128 thing?  If you mean the rumors concerning the size of cartridges, internal storage, and SD card support, consider these things: 1) I guarantee you the 16 gig being the max is horseshit (Breath of the Wild is looking like it would barely fit on a 20, 16 is out of the question and MonolithSoft, an internal studio, struggled with the Wii U's capacity on disc, and besides it would make NO sense to make that the maximum), 2) if the games are playing from the physical medium (the PS4 and Xbone do not), then the internal storage doesn't matter and again this is a rumor and unconfirmed, 3) this is a rumor, plain and simple and see point 2.  Basically, wait till we have confirmation cause I am betting 2 out of 3 of those will be wrong at the very least.  

I think you underestimate how big Pokemon is, and how big of a difference TPC is compared to Nintendo in terms of marketing. Look at Pokemon20 compared to literally any other Nintendo anniversary ever for reference.

The rumor isn't that there will only be 16GB cards, it's that that's the recommended standard. The issue with that is what that implies for cart prices. 2GB was the recommended standard for 3DS cards, even though games could use 4GB and 8GB carts if they wanted. You know why games rarely used 4GB carts or higher? Because they were too expensive to manufacture. 2GB let devs sit comfortably at $40. 4GB made Capcom want to raise the price of ResiRev to $50. They didn't and ate the cost because people complained. They never released the sequel on the 3DS. I wonder why.

The reason 16GB is an issue is because that's probably the break even point for a $60 Switch game. Anymore, and devs have to either eat the costs internally (which Nintendo doesn't need to worry about because it's their platform), or charge more for their games. If a 16GB game is $60, how much will a 32GB game be? $70? What about 64GB? $85? God forbid a game is bigger than that. Infinite Warfare was 130GB. It's not like that's going to install onto 32GB of internal memory. Are they going to squeeze that onto a 128GB cart? What's that going to be? $100? When making a game of the same size on the PS4/XBO costs pennies on the dollar because disks are so much cheaper? You think that's crazy, but $128GB carts are going for $40 rn. Obviously there's a discrepency because it's a consumer product vs a manufacturer's product, but how much discrepancy can there be with a $39 price difference? This is a problem because, no matter what anyone wants to believe, this is NOT a handheld. It is a CONSOLE, being marketed at a CONSLOLE audience with CONSOLE quality games. Those games are bigger than handheld games and cost more than handheld games and Nintendo seems to have built hardware that doesn't comprehend that. If they did, it would not have used cartridges. Or it would have but would've given the Switch an insane amount of internal memory to compensate, because external memory of a large enough size won't be affordable in an SD card form factor for years. Right now, a 512GB micro SD card is $309.

People are in this honeymoon daze about the magic of cartridges, and the reality is they are just as much of a 3rd party killer now as they were on the N64. Short of Nintendo giving third parties a MASSIVE manufacturing break, this is a very real issue that will detrementally effect the games they get.

And these rumors come from the same people who leaked the Switch in the first place. It's time to stop pretending they don't know what they're talking about when we know that they do.

Pokemon is very powerful, but seeing as how Nintendo was so bad at marketing Wii U it took literally 2 years before the entire gaming audience to even know it was a new machine, I don't think it would have helped as much as you think.  Wii U's marketing was spectacularly bad.  

As for cartridge issues, first off, I know it is a console.  Been saying that the whole time.  Second of all, I don't think 16GB = same as a blueray.  I think it's just the starting base model so to speak.  I would say 32 GB would be where it would probably fall.  And I think 64GB will be available.  How this impacts things depends on Nintendo's deals to get these things made, they have considerable connections in the card making industry obviously.  Also, a sizable portion of games on the PS4 and Xbone would fit on 32GB, and nearly all would fit on a 64GB.  In fact, 99% of the games outside those sizes are litterally one easy step away from fitting: compressing their freaking audio.  It's a step for devs, but one they should be taking anyway because a 6 hour shooter with 15 online maps and a soundtrack of about 15 being six times the size of Skyrim is nothing sort of a demonstration of naked, giggling contempt for the customer who has to deal with that data management nonsense.  It will be interesting to see how it goes. 

And no, I don't think the issue is *nearly* as bad as N64 days where 90% of 3rd party games literally couldn't fit, although it could be an issue.  And I stand by my prediction from years ago, cartridges or cards are going to eventually be the standard physical medium.  Physical isn't going anywhere and consoles can't keep chasing PC-ness, it's a war of atrition they cannot win.  Convenience will be the future if consoles have one.  I do wonder though as you if this is too soon, so it could be a problem.  We'll see in about six or seven months.  One posibility is Nintendo will absorb some of those costs for 64GB cards early on until the price falls some more, really depends on how much Nintendo really wants those 3rd parties.

I am well aware that these sources have proven decently reliable, but I also know how massive companies work: compartmentalization.  Very few individuals know everything, so the source could know one thing and not know numerous other things.  Which is why I take the these rumors, go "hmm, interesting", evaluate their plausibility, and then move on with my date and wait to see what happens.  

Around the Network

Pretty sure Nintendo is getting their carts at a fixed cost.

If I'm selling pizzas and the pizza is $10 and you're saying I'll give you $5 for it, I'll say fuck you.

But if you say I want 25 million pizzas for the next 12 months alone .... well ok. Sit down. Lets see what we can come to.

Likely Nintendo is getting the cards for in the range of $1-$2 a pop.

That is nothing like the N64 days where the cartridge itself cost sometimes $20-$30 on its own. If N64 cartridges cost $1 to mass produce and stored 170MB (1/3 a CD-ROM) as the starting point with increasing sizes as time went on ... I think the N64 actually could've won that generation with that setup because most third party games would've been portable and many developers would've jumped on board.

Now look what you guys have done!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=222223&page=1

Should pop over there and say good bye I guess.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

greencactaur said:
It all depends on price. If it's anything over 200 it will be a massive flop. If they sell it for 200 dollars they'll make a less, and go bankrupt. since they're selling it not at a loss, then the console itself should be around 300ish in which case it will flop.

Rubbish.... What do you expect for $200 - $300? How much did your last iPhone cost? You've got champagne taste on a beer budget... 

Soundwave said:
Pretty sure Nintendo is getting their carts at a fixed cost.

If I'm selling pizzas and the pizza is $10 and you're saying I'll give you $5 for it, I'll say fuck you.

But if you say I want 25 million pizzas for the next 12 months alone .... well ok. Sit down. Lets see what we can come to.

Likely Nintendo is getting the cards for in the range of $1-$2 a pop.

That is nothing like the N64 days where the cartridge itself cost sometimes $20-$30 on its own. If N64 cartridges cost $1 to mass produce and stored 170MB (1/3 a CD-ROM) as the starting point with increasing sizes as time went on ... I think the N64 actually could've won that generation with that setup because most third party games would've been portable and many developers would've jumped on board.

Yes, all-in costs for the carts should be around $1 (a bit more on low-print games). The initial master mask is in the mid 5 figure range, the wafers from there are peanuts (literally pennies in raw material, and it's not actually a semiconductor, there are no switchable circuits on a mask rom) So for a run of 250,000 cards, the mask rom cost adds up to about 20 cents per. Add in plastic casing (another 10 cents or so all-in), labels (another 5 cents or so), game case/insert/manual (if any), another 50 cents or so. So about a $1 including the packaging. This doesn't take into account external things like development, marketing, art, etc.

The bottom line is that for titles that sell for $30-$60, the production cost vs disc games is marginal at best, and a total rounding error for big-time titles.

I personally think the Switch will be a sales disaster unless a whole lot of things go right that I won't repeat here, but it certainly won't be hurt by carts. I actually quite like the idea. Good solid tech, good price, convenient, and with improvements with data density and optical disc stagnation, it's actually more sensible than ever.

Around the Network

Bit early to tell

Nuvendil said:
spemanig said:

I think you underestimate how big Pokemon is, and how big of a difference TPC is compared to Nintendo in terms of marketing. Look at Pokemon20 compared to literally any other Nintendo anniversary ever for reference.

The rumor isn't that there will only be 16GB cards, it's that that's the recommended standard. The issue with that is what that implies for cart prices. 2GB was the recommended standard for 3DS cards, even though games could use 4GB and 8GB carts if they wanted. You know why games rarely used 4GB carts or higher? Because they were too expensive to manufacture. 2GB let devs sit comfortably at $40. 4GB made Capcom want to raise the price of ResiRev to $50. They didn't and ate the cost because people complained. They never released the sequel on the 3DS. I wonder why.

The reason 16GB is an issue is because that's probably the break even point for a $60 Switch game. Anymore, and devs have to either eat the costs internally (which Nintendo doesn't need to worry about because it's their platform), or charge more for their games. If a 16GB game is $60, how much will a 32GB game be? $70? What about 64GB? $85? God forbid a game is bigger than that. Infinite Warfare was 130GB. It's not like that's going to install onto 32GB of internal memory. Are they going to squeeze that onto a 128GB cart? What's that going to be? $100? When making a game of the same size on the PS4/XBO costs pennies on the dollar because disks are so much cheaper? You think that's crazy, but $128GB carts are going for $40 rn. Obviously there's a discrepency because it's a consumer product vs a manufacturer's product, but how much discrepancy can there be with a $39 price difference? This is a problem because, no matter what anyone wants to believe, this is NOT a handheld. It is a CONSOLE, being marketed at a CONSLOLE audience with CONSOLE quality games. Those games are bigger than handheld games and cost more than handheld games and Nintendo seems to have built hardware that doesn't comprehend that. If they did, it would not have used cartridges. Or it would have but would've given the Switch an insane amount of internal memory to compensate, because external memory of a large enough size won't be affordable in an SD card form factor for years. Right now, a 512GB micro SD card is $309.

People are in this honeymoon daze about the magic of cartridges, and the reality is they are just as much of a 3rd party killer now as they were on the N64. Short of Nintendo giving third parties a MASSIVE manufacturing break, this is a very real issue that will detrementally effect the games they get.

And these rumors come from the same people who leaked the Switch in the first place. It's time to stop pretending they don't know what they're talking about when we know that they do.

Pokemon is very powerful, but seeing as how Nintendo was so bad at marketing Wii U it took literally 2 years before the entire gaming audience to even know it was a new machine, I don't think it would have helped as much as you think.  Wii U's marketing was spectacularly bad.  

As for cartridge issues, first off, I know it is a console.  Been saying that the whole time.  Second of all, I don't think 16GB = same as a blueray.  I think it's just the starting base model so to speak.  I would say 32 GB would be where it would probably fall.  And I think 64GB will be available.  How this impacts things depends on Nintendo's deals to get these things made, they have considerable connections in the card making industry obviously.  Also, a sizable portion of games on the PS4 and Xbone would fit on 32GB, and nearly all would fit on a 64GB.  In fact, 99% of the games outside those sizes are litterally one easy step away from fitting: compressing their freaking audio.  It's a step for devs, but one they should be taking anyway because a 6 hour shooter with 15 online maps and a soundtrack of about 15 being six times the size of Skyrim is nothing sort of a demonstration of naked, giggling contempt for the customer who has to deal with that data management nonsense.  It will be interesting to see how it goes. 

And no, I don't think the issue is *nearly* as bad as N64 days where 90% of 3rd party games literally couldn't fit, although it could be an issue.  And I stand by my prediction from years ago, cartridges or cards are going to eventually be the standard physical medium.  Physical isn't going anywhere and consoles can't keep chasing PC-ness, it's a war of atrition they cannot win.  Convenience will be the future if consoles have one.  I do wonder though as you if this is too soon, so it could be a problem.  We'll see in about six or seven months.  One posibility is Nintendo will absorb some of those costs for 64GB cards early on until the price falls some more, really depends on how much Nintendo really wants those 3rd parties.

I am well aware that these sources have proven decently reliable, but I also know how massive companies work: compartmentalization.  Very few individuals know everything, so the source could know one thing and not know numerous other things.  Which is why I take the these rumors, go "hmm, interesting", evaluate their plausibility, and then move on with my date and wait to see what happens.  

Yeah, time will tell. I just look at the 16GB rumor, and it makes too much sense not to be true. I do think that 16GB will equal $60 break-even point, and that's a huge issue. It makes sense looking at the pricing for 3DS carts and factoring in prices going down a bit over the years. 16GB seems like where $60 would be at right now if 4GB landed publishers at $50 just a few years back.

If the standard really is 32GB, which we have less reason to believe than 16GB rn, that's more salvagable. My concern is the price scaling specifically, so that would mean that 64GB carts would cost less for publishers than they would other wise. It's still a major issue because no matter how cheap they are, they'll always be more expensive than disks, but maybe the Switch's success will brute force them into submission there. I doubt it, but who knows.

And I stand by my prediction that physical will be gone from video games in 10 years. Maybe five. Switch messed everything up.

It'll likely sell 10m in Japan alone.

A unified Nintendo software catalogue on one platform.... 10 million...

No. Simply no way. It'll sell that in a year I'm hoping. . I mean.... 2 holiday seasons in it's first year....

Disagree. Just in case you couldn't tell.

ironmanDX said:
No. Simply no way. It'll sell that in a year I'm hoping. . I mean.... 2 holiday seasons in it's first year....

I'm confused, what 2 holiday seasons?