By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Go on the Record: Video Game Power

Great responses so far! Thanks you guys!

Around the Network

I love power. Putting an watt usage monitor in my home theater and see it spike above 700 watts with the surround sound up makes me feel all tingly inside. (from the subwoofer that is :p)

When it comes to games, not that much. I'm too lazy. I played ED: Horizons for months on my laptop at 8 to 12 fps while racing around planets. I'm enjoying DC VR and although it looks 100 times better on tv, it's hard to go back. However I will still buy the pro for psvr enhancements.

As for Zelda, I'm pretty sure it will look great on the WiiU, no rush to get a Switch.

I do however care for native display res, hence ED: Horizons was running so slow on my laptop. And also why I would like the ps4 pro to have psvr games in their native res or downscaled instead of the upscaling that's currently going on in some titles.

Which puts me on the spot I realize, if Zelda runs at 1080p on the switch and 720p on the WiiU...

Graphics horsepower does matter.

I think even the "graphics don't matter" crowd would have a very rude awakening if they tried playing some of their most favorite games on hardware one generation behind.

Super Metroid on an NES would theoretically be possible ... but it would be a worse game as a result.

Super Mario Galaxy probably could run in some state on the DS or N64 ... but it would again be a worse game.

Splatoon would be worse on the Wii versus Wii U.

Uncharted 4 would be doable on a PS3, but again it would be a downgraded game.

I do think system horsepower does matter. It doesn't replace the need for good gameplay, but it's important.

For me its about 50/50. A fantastic story with great gameplay mechanics, but horrible graphics is no good. A horrible story with horrible mechanics but superb graphics is no good either. It needs to have sufficient story, gameplay, and graphics. If I had to pick or choose either, I would sacrifice graphics for better story and gameplay, but only say 60/40.
For this reason I can't buy NiN consoles anymore because they are just to far behind in terms of graphics. Their stories and gameplay are fantastic, but the graphics are weak (other than Zelda, which just has a different style). Even if Switch has XB1 specs, its 3 years too late. If Switch has an upgraded model, or SCD to provide say 2.0-4.0 TFlops while docked, for a competitive price, that would be acceptable to me and would be worth a purchase, considering Pro is out now at 4.2 TFlops, and Scorpio next fall at 6.0 TFlops.

I care about power. More power means more possibilities, better framerates higher resolution and yes, better looking games.

At the same time I think most of the industry is using graphics just as a marketing gimmick. Visual spectacle and cinematic feeling can make sense since games marketing is mostly based on video footage, the downside is you have AAA mammoth productions where game and design ideas are mostly blunt to please a wider audience.

Around the Network

I care a little bit, is that a fair answer? xD

It's not like it's the end all be all if my favorite console is weaker than "x" console.

Edit: First senetence was a joke; overall I do care about power as it lets devs do more with games than if the console was weaker; but like I said, I'm not going to drop Xbox for PlayStation or vice versa if one is weaker than the other. 

spemanig said:

I'd rather a 420p game at 60fps then a 1080p game at 30. To the point where I wish there was a game on current gen brave enough to try. Imagine how good that'd look and play, sacrificing only clarity.

That's my stance.

Given https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwhS76r0OqE you should get your ass over to that great game and enjoy the shit out of it, I will be honest at the time I played it I wasn't aware really what frame rates or resolutions meant, but I knew I loved this game, perhaps it was because of those 2 things... maybe it was every thing else about the game. But yeah... great video about a fantastic game.

If worried that I would link to weird stuff or a youtuber you might not like it's Digital foundry retro doing a look at Metroid Prime and how it was 480p/60fps pretty much as locked in as you could ever expect a frame rate to get.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Not really, I care about a certain niche in games. And only one console+ PC gives me 99% of what I want.

I would 100% buy an expensive, or seemingly overvalued console if they got all the games I wanted on it.

Ganoncrotch said:
spemanig said:

I'd rather a 420p game at 60fps then a 1080p game at 30. To the point where I wish there was a game on current gen brave enough to try. Imagine how good that'd look and play, sacrificing only clarity.

That's my stance.

Given https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwhS76r0OqE you should get your ass over to that great game and enjoy the shit out of it, I will be honest at the time I played it I wasn't aware really what frame rates or resolutions meant, but I knew I loved this game, perhaps it was because of those 2 things... maybe it was every thing else about the game. But yeah... great video about a fantastic game.

If worried that I would link to weird stuff or a youtuber you might not like it's Digital foundry retro doing a look at Metroid Prime and how it was 480p/60fps pretty much as locked in as you could ever expect a frame rate to get.

Bruh.

spemanig said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Bruh.

Oh! As of the 31st of August MP1 was still in your top games of all times, you're good people! Oh yeah... on reading the comments section I knew this fact, man I need to slow my commenting on here and remember the people I'm commenting to! Doh!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive