By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - so i got a 3DS and I'm not happy

Xenoblade is exceptional.

Around the Network

Strange thread, if you want magic on the ds platform in terms of story go for professor Layton, not jrpgs but obviously if you wanted a machine for those you would have gotten a vita, regardless of it having less western support now this doesn't change the fact that the machine has games directly from the ps 3 like disgaea 3/4 complete with all their dlc or even jrpgs that are only on that or the ps 4 like the amazing digimon Cyber Sleuth

Oh also buy ghost trick, rhythm heaven and theatrythm final fantasy. All amazing games, do not Google ghost trick, just buy it and play it, you won't be disappointed 

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Get Dragon Quest 7 or if you hate cheesy, get Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Apocolypse

Well, for story I'd recommend the Professor Layton games as well as the Ace Attorney series. You can get the first three AA games on the eshop pretty cheap and the 3DS is DS backwards compatible so you can just pick up the entire Layton series used if you want to.

None of those is a jrpg though, Layton is a puzzler and AA are visual novels with point n' click elements.

People have been recommending Xenoblade Chronicles and I can second that it's an amazing game.
Also you bought the pokemon machine. How about some some Pokemon then? There will be six games to choose from shortly.

If you like Fire Emblems gameplay, but not the story, maybe try out Awakening. I hear the story is better.

Although I have to say, if you don't like cheesy drama jrpg might just not be the genre for you.

You thought Fire Emblem had boring gameplay? That's the best part of fates altogether.

i'm sorry, I have to conclude that you have very poor taste after spending most of your life with shooters on Xbox platforms. There's no hope for you, and you've also completely dismissed the Vita library as well. Stick to your Xbox. 

Around the Network

Shin Megami Tensei IV & Apocalypse. Fire Emblem Awakening is better. Dragon Quest VII.

Funny how you play 2 series and get mad lol

Monster hunter and Fire emblem is nothing compared to nintendo's legendary franchises. Try kid icarus uprising, Mario 3d land, ocarina of time and majora's mask 3d, etc

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

endimion said:

so I'm an old gamer or at least poster on than website... Been here for more than a decade or close to it...

I usually don't post outside the MS forum since I'm an XBox owner through and through and I'm more than happy with it...

now I've got a 3DS and I love the little bugger... But I got a few games and I'm not enjoying them... Got and fire emblem fates (and yes I stupidly bought all three campaigns) playing birthright at the moment... Not only the game play is bland but I think even as a teenager I would have found the story and moreover the characters interactions to be craptasticaly cheesy and boaring and phony... Well sucks big time...

I'm at chapter 17 and I'm pretty sure I won't play the other two stories....

I also got myself monster hunter and to be fair I'm still doing all those endless tutorials... While the gameplay is alright it still looks repetitive and the depth of the story looks rather short...

so tell me where is that 3DS magic beside mario and co and Zelda games??? All those JRPGs??? Anything as good as lost odyssey??? I really want to enjoy it ??

The 2 games you got are some of the biggest commitments a 3DS owner can make of their time.

I'd invite you to take up more casual, pick-up and play experiences for your 3DS. Stuff you don't play for story, but for the sheer joy of wasting 5-30 minutes when your waiting in line somewhere, while your wife/gf watches something stupid on TV, and other random downtime. 

The 2 games I most highly recommend on 3DS would be A Link Between Worlds and Super Mario 3D Land. Common answers - but they're paced beautifully well for either casual or long-form play. If you don't plan to get the Switch soon, I'd recommend also getting Smash too. Smash is so easy to pick up, but is so satisfyingly deep too. MK7 gets a similar recommendation.

If you like retro games, the Sega 3D classics are great too. Especially Streets of Rage 2.

I can't be as helpful for your RPG needs though. But I have little doubt you'll like Xenoblade - but again that game is also a big commitment. SMTIV, Bravely Default/Second, and Dragon Quest are the marquee turn-based RPGS outside of Pokemon.

If you want a great game that's shorter with a solid story - you really need to look at Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. If you never tried them, you owe it to yourself to see what the hype is about.

I realize this is a very 1st party centric list - but honestly you seldom go terribly wrong with Nintendo 1st party on a long term basis.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I don't know exactly what are your tastes, but FE:Fates is arguably the best SRPG game out there. If you don't like it stay away of those games. There are a lot of good RPGs on the 3DS. Try SMT games, they're really good. The 3DS has lots of critically acclaimed games, just make sure you like the genre.

endimion said:
Oh come on I'm sorry if there isn't a better crafted jrpg on that console it doesn't deserve all that success.... There is a difference between cliché JRPG and very bad writting so far even when I was watching shitty shonen anime in my teens I would have found fire emblem fates writing to be supper bad.. To have a few cheesy characters and cliché moments is one thing... Having every single lines being written by a 10 year old is an other...

Well yeah. If you want a good fire emblem with great characters/story/etc, don't buy Fe on 3ds/ds.

Path of Radiance and Radiant dawn are the best of all Fe, with FE4.

FE fates was pretty boring for me. And not only for the characters and the story, but the gameplay too.

JRPGfan said:

Get Bravely Default: flying fairy + Bravely Secound: End Layer.

If he don't like Fe fates, he will SURELY NOT like Bravery too much default.

Not a good advice at all, sorry.

The only game close to what the author want is probably SMT4, and maybe others Atlus games such as Devil survivor 1.