Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. November bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Go go go Pokemon!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
tak13 said:

Seeing New 3ds xl rankings, which warms my heart, I guess that people agree with Nintendo that switch isn't replacing 3DS...

Announcements of new systems don't ever have any visible effect on sales of systems they're replacing. However, the actual release of new systems does have an effect that is almost always immediate and pronounced. DS sales were already declining before the 3DS came out, but started to absolutely crater once the 3DS was released. The DS wasn't doing amazing when it first came out, but even then it caused GBA sales to have a noticeably sharp dive. We see the same pattern in other product lines besides Nintendo handhelds. Perhaps the only time a new system didn't have an immediate effect on its predecessor's sales was the PS3 in the U.S., and that might have had something to do with the $500 price tag at launch. It wasn't until the PS3 was reduced to $400 that the PS2's decline in sales started to experience a pronounced acceleration. But that was one exception for a rule that seems to be true in every other case.

Since the Switch doubles as both a home console and a handheld, and will likely be marketed as such (the reveal video even focused more on its portability than the fact that it's also playable at home on your TV), I expect it to cause an immediate and pronounced YoY drop in 3DS sales. The 3DS is doing fine now, but it could very well be a last gasp. The 3DS will almost certainly be down quite a bit in 2017, by holiday 2018 it will likely be dead in the water sales-wise, and it could be discontinued before the end of 2019.

I hope ps4 pulls nov and dec. Losing 4 months should have never happened. Losing Nov and Dec would be really bad.

Ariakon said:

Hmm, Abdiel on Neogaf said that October went pretty to the Xbox even at Best Buy, so what is going on with Amazon? I'll wait to see the NPD numbers, but I'm expecting the One to be the best-selling console again in October. So why, when Amazon now has everything but the 1tb Gears bundle, which I can't see as performing any better than the 1tb Battlefield bundle, is the console performing so badly on Amazon? The 500gb Battlefield 1 bundle is in stock, and is just doing okay. Why would the trends suddenly diverge so much from the retailer? It's kind of baffling. 

Trade ins! It's more convenient for people to trade in their consoles at bricka nd mortar stores and a lot of S sales will be the result of trade ins.

Sony will have to get a COD bundle out by the end of the month.

Around the Network
Playstation_awaiter said:
I hope ps4 pulls nov and dec. Losing 4 months should have never happened. Losing Nov and Dec would be really bad.

Losing 4 months matters much less than you're suggesting. It's one territory, where they'll remain ahead, and earn back much of what they lost in said months with the release of the Pro in November and Final Fantasy in December.

CGI-Quality said:
Playstation_awaiter said:

Losing 4 months matters much less than you're suggesting. It's one territory, where they'll remain ahead, and earn back much of what they lost in said months with the release of the Pro in November and Final Fantasy in December.

I know FF is huge and will sell well but do people really think its going to push ps4s that much? I mean it seems many think this game is on another level in terms of system sellers. 

Ps4 going to do well with the pro and cuz of the holidays. FF will help but i dont think it will be the reason whg ps4s sell x amount of hw imo

Shadow1980 said:
tak13 said:

Seeing New 3ds xl rankings, which warms my heart, I guess that people agree with Nintendo that switch isn't replacing 3DS...

Announcements of new systems don't ever have any visible effect on sales of systems they're replacing. However, the actual release of new systems does have an effect that is almost always immediate and pronounced. DS sales were already declining before the 3DS came out, but started to absolutely crater once the 3DS was released. The DS wasn't doing amazing when it first came out, but even then it caused GBA sales to have a noticeably sharp dive. We see the same pattern in other product lines besides Nintendo handhelds. Perhaps the only time a new system didn't have an immediate effect on its predecessor's sales was the PS3 in the U.S., and that might have had something to do with the $500 price tag at launch. It wasn't until the PS3 was reduced to $400 that the PS2's decline in sales started to experience a pronounced acceleration. But that was one exception for a rule that seems to be true in every other case.

Since the Switch doubles as both a home console and a handheld, and will likely be marketed as such (the reveal video even focused more on its portability than the fact that it's also playable at home on your TV), I expect it to cause an immediate and pronounced YoY drop in 3DS sales. The 3DS is doing fine now, but it could very well be a last gasp. The 3DS will almost certainly be down quite a bit in 2017, by holiday 2018 it will likely be dead in the water sales-wise, and it could be discontinued before the end of 2019.

The actual word and push from Nintendo though is that it is a home console that is portable, not a handheld.  And yes, there is a difference.  I bet it will be marketed straight at the console audience first because of 1) price (the Switch will be WAY too expensive for a handheld), 2) battery life (early models I bet will have ok battery life at best), and 3) the 3DS is currently riding a bit of a wave and is making them easy money.  So they'll ride the wave until a price drop makes the Switch a more plausible option for the handheld devotees and then you'll see your handheld IPs make the jump in larger numbers and a shift in marketing tone.  For now, portability will be pushed as a feature, but the system won't be framed as a handheld.

Tag

tbone51 said:
CGI-Quality said:

I know FF is huge and will sell well but do people really think its going to push ps4s that much? I mean it seems many think this game is on another level in terms of system sellers. 

Ps4 going to do well with the pro and cuz of the holidays. FF will help but i dont think it will be the reason whg ps4s sell x amount of hw imo

The point is that the game will help. That's all it needs to do.