Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will households only have one NS or will there be multiple NS?

Let me drop this one on ya.  If the 3ds is discontinued, which history tells us that it will be in the light of the NS.  Then, since the hardware has melt home and mobile, does that mean that a home will not have multiple NS?  If the price is between 250-300+, does that mean that Pokemon games will be played against neighbors and not brothers or sisters?  Because in my house, I have 2 other siblings.  We all enjoy pokemon, but we can't all play pokemon on the same console and then play against each other.  I know other households who have 2 or even 3 3ds they've bought just so they don't have to share.  It's one thing to fork over $200 for 3 new 3ds xl, but is a household going to fork over 250-300+. 

Part of the reason why the DS sold in 100+ millions was because there was more than 1 in a household.  Will this impact the sales of nintendo's hardware?



Around the Network

This is aimed at millenials who are growing up and have busy lives, so it depends how young the family is if its for a family at all. This is purely for adolescents to adults in their mid thirties.



S.T.A.G.E. said:

This is aimed at millenials who are growing up and have busy lives, so it depends how young the family is if its for a family at all. This is purely for adolescents to adults in their mid thirties.

Yeah, I gotcha.  The video had no kids.  But, in my scenerio, the 3ds is no more and again, history is on my side so it's more than likely gone in 2 years.  Apple did this too with Iphone.  No kids in commericials, at least until the 3gs.  The Iphone was marketed for the millinials, but, the Iphone can get away with that.  Nintendo, cannot.  With games like Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc, Nintendo consoles will always automatically be for kids even if their targets are millinials.  With that in mind, the NS can't possibly be purely for older players. 



Ouroboros24 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

This is aimed at millenials who are growing up and have busy lives, so it depends how young the family is if its for a family at all. This is purely for adolescents to adults in their mid thirties.

Yeah, I gotcha.  The video had no kids.  But, in my scenerio, the 3ds is no more and again, history is on my side so it's more than likely gone in 2 years.  Apple did this too with Iphone.  No kids in commericials, at least until the 3gs.  The Iphone was marketed for the millinials, but, the Iphone can get away with that.  Nintendo, cannot.  With games like Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc, Nintendo consoles will always automatically be for kids even if their targets are millinials.  With that in mind, the NS can't possibly be purely for older players. 

The Wii U was, despite a price point that is still too high and niche games that most kids are not even looking at. Nintendo is trying to reconnect with the gamers between the Wii U and 3DS as well as the gamers who might've jumped ship and grew up with their product as children. Most of those gamers jumped ship to Microsoft and Sony or solely used their handhelds. They are aiming for the kids who grew up with them who might still have interest and the disposable income. If they dont get the third party this will fail. As for the little kids, they might still try to get their hands on this. We will see because the kids love the COD and GTA these days. I think they found a sweet spot commercially that the Wii U never touched upon and thats bringing both handheld and console crowds together. They will try to market this for kids in January, but I dont see having this at school working so well. Perhaps for kid and teenager outings, this should be fun. Perhaps interactivity with Pokemon Go and Sun and Moon should pique their interest.



As many as it takes to beat the Wii U in sales.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

First, don't look for the 3DS to die too soon. The Switch will be too expensive and frankly too bulky to replace it immediately. Nintendo's gonna ride that Pokemania wave as far as it will go, at least until the release of Dragon Quest XI and probably until the Switch can reach a lower price point. They know they can't go directly at the handheld audience with a device at around $300.   Which is one of many reasons they are currently hammering on the home console front.

Second, I would be more interested in multiple docks. So if you have a few TVs, you could hook a dock to each and move the console between them.



One is enough, I think.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Ouroboros24 said:

Yeah, I gotcha.  The video had no kids.  But, in my scenerio, the 3ds is no more and again, history is on my side so it's more than likely gone in 2 years.  Apple did this too with Iphone.  No kids in commericials, at least until the 3gs.  The Iphone was marketed for the millinials, but, the Iphone can get away with that.  Nintendo, cannot.  With games like Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Kirby, etc, Nintendo consoles will always automatically be for kids even if their targets are millinials.  With that in mind, the NS can't possibly be purely for older players. 

The Wii U was, despite a price point that is still too high and niche games that most kids are not even looking at. Nintendo is trying to reconnect with the gamers between the Wii U and 3DS as well as the gamers who might've jumped ship and grew up with their product as children. Most of those gamers jumped ship to Microsoft and Sony or solely used their handhelds. They are aiming for the kids who grew up with them who might still have interest and the disposable income. If they dont get the third party this will fail. As for the little kids, they might still try to get their hands on this. We will see because the kids love the COD and GTA these days. I think they found a sweet spot commercially that the Wii U never touched upon and thats bringing both handheld and console crowds together. They will try to market this for kids in January, but I dont see having this at school working so well. Perhaps for kid and teenager outings, this should be fun. Perhaps interactivity with Pokemon Go and Sun and Moon should pique their interest.

OKay, cool, but do you see homes with multiple or single NS?  Because I don't see it.  Too high price.  And the 3ds came out 2011, almost 6 years ago around march next year.  In 2 years, it's going to be around 8 years old.  If nintendo holds on to the 3ds for another 2 years, that's 8 years total for a nintendo console.  The DS came out november 2004 and discontinued 2013, that's 9 years.  With Nintendo only having 1 system being the NS(that's to say if there isn't a new mobile console, which is going to be weird with the NS being a mobile system) their profit for hardware is cut in half.  Isn't there some sort of concern for that scenerio?



Well that depends on many things.

How many people are in the household
How many in the household are gamers
How many in the household are interested in Nintendo Games
How much expendable income do they have.
How much time do they spend gaming.

I could go on...



LTD: PS4 - 125m, Switch - 110m, XBO - 51m

2020: PS4 - 9m, Switch - 22.5m, XBO - 2.5m, PS5 - 4.5m, XBX - 2.8m

Nuvendil said:

First, don't look for the 3DS to die too soon. The Switch will be too expensive and frankly too bulky to replace it immediately. Nintendo's gonna ride that Pokemania wave as far as it will go, at least until the release of Dragon Quest XI and probably until the Switch can reach a lower price point. They know they can't go directly at the handheld audience with a device at around $300.   Which is one of many reasons they are currently hammering on the home console front.

Second, I would be more interested in multiple docks. So if you have a few TVs, you could hook a dock to each and move the console between them.

So, how far is the 3ds alive?  10 years?  That's sony cycle.  If 10 years, it has another 4 years ahead of it.  Think of that real quick and ask yourself if 3ds is around for another 4 years, if it has that kind of longevity.  The DS was around for 9 years.  Of those 9 years, the 3ds was around for 3 years so basically they paid lip service, but lip service half ass because there was no games at the time.  By 2012, their best game for ds was pokemon black and white 2, and nothing else notable. 2013 ds is discontinued.

Wait, what?  So docks for multiple tvs, but when you move the switch, wouln't it just play the same game that's on the switch itself?  So to say that you're jsut switching the switch.