By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is screwing those who bought a Wii U

I guess it has been a while since gamers have seen a console (from a major developer) flop. But, this has happened several times. When it does, the companies involved do what they can to make the most of their investments. Sometimes that means replacing the console after just a few years. Other times it means rebooting the games developed for it. Since these things have happened before (and with Nintendo, no less), anyone that buys a console should be aware of these risks.

Nintendo is a for profit company. They have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders to make money. They have valuable assets that they must monetize, in the form of Wii U games that did not reach all of the gamers that may wish to purchase them. They'd be irresponsible not to make them available on Switch.

Around the Network

There is no logical reason for this, probably why the OP isnt saying much. THe only reason that someone would care is if they are using Wii U in some list war which is a dumb reason on its own.

RolStoppable said:

Let me guess, the biggest indicator for worshipping Nintendo is if someone not only likes Devil's Third, but also passionately defends it.

Thanks for reminder, that Nintendo cancelled Splatoon Festivals and will close Devil's Third servers in December. Very good way to treat your customers.

So you think people wouldn't have bought those game if Nintendo told them that they will port them to their next console in a few years? That's not a very well though out argument, is it?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

jonathanalis said:
Im not feeling screwed by nintendo.
Ill just not buy the switch wii U remasters because i already have them on wii U, simple.

Im more upset by not delivered games, like 90 arcade, hat in a time, hollow knight, project cars, that were promised for wii U and are not there.

I completely forgot about this one but I remember looking forward to it when it was announced...

I hope Yooka-Laylee will still come to Wii U.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

I owned a Wii U for some years now, I enjoyed about 8 games on it but I always hated the tablet and didn't think the pro controller was amazing. Zelda will be the last game I buy and I hope I can restraint myself from buying a switch.

After the gamecube I have felt screwed by nintendo so many times, its unbearable. They make great games, thats why they are still around, but I don't think they are the best with their supporters.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Well, until games I bought for WiiU are working - I don't see myself screwed. If Smash/Mk8 ported to Switch - thats OK. It wont make me buy Switch though, since I'll need some NEW games to do it.

I really don't feel "screwed" as a Wii U owner anymore than I did as a Wii owner. I mean you buy Nintendo consoles for the first party titles, and the amount of good first party titles isn't drastically different than Wii's (both have around 15-18 strong 1st party offerings). And Nintendo only strongly supported the Wii for about 3 and a half years, which isn't a drastic difference really to the 2 and a half they strongly supported Wii U. All that said, I do agree Nintendo has developed a major problem with extremely short time frames that they support their consoles. Wii was so dead for the last 2 years I would have much rather they released Wii U sooner like what's happening with Switch, instead of try to make it seem like Wii had a true 6 year life cycle which is totally not the case. Nintendo really needs to strongly support Switch for a solid 4 years, if not 5. No more 2-3 year life cycles for their systems and then either dust or a new console.

As for the Wii U ports to Switch, I highly doubt that's happening for anything besides Zelda and maybe Smash. They will make MK9 and Splatoon 2, not port the Wii U ones. Smash may just end up as an upgraded port though since Sakurai has said for a while he's unsure of how to make new Smash games anymore, hence such long gaps between release. They may just port Smash Wii U over and keep adding new characters and stages instead of ever making a new Smash game for Switch. 

Cloudman said:

Wait, so let me get this straight. You feel betrayed because the Switch may be getting a few Wii U ports, even though none of that is confirmed, and a lack of a Zelda title, even though the Wii U is still getting it, meanwhile the NS may be getting as many, or more new games for the console? I think there's a lot of jumping the gun here. 

Lack of exclusive Zelda title. Gamecube have WindWaker. Wii have Skyward Sword. Twilight Princess was good addition for both platforms.

Zelda BotW was spread across two platforms. Zelda BotW for Wii U was delayed twice. Zelda BotW for Wii U will run like shit, and we are all know it. All Wii U features were removed to show Switch version in a good light.

I bought a Wii U in 2013 and it turned out to be my favorite console of the three, easily. So I don't share your sentiment.