By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

So I think people are getting way to caught up with numbers for numbers sake here. Let's not forget that the Switch is running on a completely different architecture than both the PS4 and XbOne. Let's also consider that most of the nvidia cards run better than AMD equivalents while using less ram and less memory bandwidth.

If the Switch uses a breakdown of 800MB for OS and 3.2GB dedicated to games, that would put the Switch at having almost the same amount of RAM as a GTX 970. Now I know they don't have the same memory bandwidth, but considering that this is only aiming for 1080p gameplay, it should be more than enough for the hybrid.

Nvidia seems like they went all in on customized software for this SoC, so I'm sure it contains all of the wizardry of compression techniques needed to maximize the available bandwidth. This is really starting to remind me of the GameCube days of a well thought out system that has specs that can truly be tapped into. The GC put visual effects on screen that on paper it shouldn't have been capable of doing and I think the Switch will do likewise...

Around the Network

hopefully the os is not demanding and they can use all the ram for games.

4GB is plenty for the Switch and the type of games it will be running, which are Nintendo games, Japanese 3rd party games, and western developed ports of multiplatform / cross-gen games and sports titles like FIFA, Madden, NBA2K etc.

8GB would be overkill on primarily handheld device with a 720p display.

Also, remember that since the Switch is using game cards with much faster read speeds compared to discs / standard internal HDDs, they won't be quite as memory-intensive as disc based games.  This is one of the benefits of cards / cartridges over discs.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

For a Nintendo handheld, this is fine. For a 2017 home console, this is underwhelming to nearly saddening. I'm sure Nintendo will do great things with it but it's hard to expect much from third parties with this.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
For a Nintendo handheld, this is fine. For a 2017 home console, this is underwhelming to nearly saddening. I'm sure Nintendo will do great things with it but it's hard to expect much from third parties with this.

Once again I think people are getting to caught up on the specs...

Yes they are important but I think Nvidia is streamlining a set up on a modern architecture, that will showcase impressive games that look like they should be running on much stronger hardware than it is.

Around the Network
vivster said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I keep saying this and I remain corrected. Nintendo build their devices with their franchises in mind first.

What I fear the most now is developers choosing to parity their games, and I don't want NS limitation on Final Fantasy XIV :(

If this gen told us anything then that devs don't do parity. They can't even do a stable framerate on the most powerful system. Why would they care to scale down games for a weak system when they don't even care to scale down games for a weak system?

Allow me to correct that.

FFXIV is cross multiplatform. PS3, PS4, PC, and Mac. The devs choose to keep the game as equal as possible, and the PS3 itself held a lot of improvements back. Next year they're dropping the PS3 support, and raising the minimum specs for PC. dropping 32bit support, and core2 duo.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
vivster said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I keep saying this and I remain corrected. Nintendo build their devices with their franchises in mind first.

What I fear the most now is developers choosing to parity their games, and I don't want NS limitation on Final Fantasy XIV :(

If this gen told us anything then that devs don't do parity. They can't even do a stable framerate on the most powerful system. Why would they care to scale down games for a weak system when they don't even care to scale down games for a weak system?

Allow me to correct that.

FFXIV is multiplatform crossplay. PS3, PS4, PC, and Mac players all play together in the same server. The devs choose to keep the game as equal as possible, and the PS3 itself held a lot of improvements back. Next year they're dropping the PS3 support, and raising the minimum specs for PC, along with dropping 32bit support, and core2 duo. So yes, parity is still a thing that exist.

Back to my original post; a lot of fans in FFXIV is happy SE is dropping PS3 support, and then there are those asking for a NS port.. I get the appeal but still that is taking a step backwards.. I hope the devs ignores them. lol

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Seriously?...

Mystro-Sama said:
Seriously?...

Seriously there was people expecting 8 GB for a portable device that should cost no more than 300$?

Barkley said:
lionpetercarmoo said:

mmmm no without western support Nintendo is dead as usual.

If it was just a home console I'd be inclined to agree to some extent, but as it's a handheld console too I don't think it will need substantial western third party support. The 3DS doesn't exactly get that much western support.

Why do people still call it a handheld its clearly a hybrid. If it didn't have the dock than sure its a handheld but it does have the dock.