By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Switch has 4GB of ram in RETAIL units, leaked specs might not be farfetched

Goodnightmoon said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Seriously?...

Seriously there was people expecting 8 GB for a portable device that should cost no more than 300$?

I know but still. It makes me wonder what this thing will really be capable of.

Around the Network
lionpetercarmoo said:
Barkley said:

If it was just a home console I'd be inclined to agree to some extent, but as it's a handheld console too I don't think it will need substantial western third party support. The 3DS doesn't exactly get that much western support.

Why do people still call it a handheld its clearly a hybrid. If it didn't have the dock than sure its a handheld but it does have the dock.

It can be used as just a handheld, so for someone looking specifically for a handheld the Switch is still a contender. That it can be used as a home console as well doesn't detract from it being able to be used as a handheld.

lionpetercarmoo said:
Barkley said:

If it was just a home console I'd be inclined to agree to some extent, but as it's a handheld console too I don't think it will need substantial western third party support. The 3DS doesn't exactly get that much western support.

Why do people still call it a handheld its clearly a hybrid. If it didn't have the dock than sure its a handheld but it does have the dock.

In my opinion it's a handheld, because I don't see any hdd or any place to increase its memory.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
lionpetercarmoo said:
Barkley said:

It's a handheld because it's limited by the handheld specs, period.

The PSP could also connect and be played on a TV, don't remember anyone calling it a hybrid. 

A laptop doesn't stop being a laptop just because you can use it in a desk and connect it to another monitor, does it?

My phone can connect to the tv, is it a hybrid too?

Ganoncrotch said:
COKTOE said:

Indeed. :)

It's weird too but the Vita can be played on a TV screen... albeit a different model of Vita but still the PSTV is quite a fine little console when it's hooked up to even big screen TV's. sure it isn't on the same level as ps4 but it's still a very nice little system capable of running 720p visuals from it's rather underpowered cpu/ram for a home system.

whats cool is there is an add on for the PS TV that lets you use it as a handheld 

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
vivster said:

If this gen told us anything then that devs don't do parity. They can't even do a stable framerate on the most powerful system. Why would they care to scale down games for a weak system when they don't even care to scale down games for a weak system?

Allow me to correct that.

FFXIV is cross multiplatform. PS3, PS4, PC, and Mac. The devs choose to keep the game as equal as possible, and the PS3 itself held a lot of improvements back. Next year they're dropping the PS3 support, and raising the minimum specs for PC. dropping 32bit support, and core2 duo.

There's always that one crazy unpredictable developer. Interestingly the same one who usually doesn't give a shit if his games fit the platform they're on.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

How much additional cost would it be to add the extra RAM to compare it to PS4/XBO?
How much would it matter with these latest rumors?
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/10/30/rumour-japanese-journalist-details-nintendo-switch-nvidia-architecture/

I love how the RAM being 4GB is the nail in the coffin for some people. It is based on a Tegra, it has no chance of being as powerful as the XBO or PS4. With optimizations and what not, we will get a great system that will do 1080p no problem. I have faith it will do well regardless.

More ram than Wii u on a system that can be your dedicated handheld would be good news for me.

Vita compared with ps3 blew me away. This would be a much closer gap against ps4 and xb1.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Kai_Mao said:
How much additional cost would it be to add the extra RAM to compare it to PS4/XBO?
How much would it matter with these latest rumors?
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/10/30/rumour-japanese-journalist-details-nintendo-switch-nvidia-architecture/

So it is Parker-tegra X2 good nintendo very good.

34 years playing games.