By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Remember when it was fine that SFV was launching incomplete because it was supposed to have great legs?

Tagged games:

I am pleased. This is what they deserve after abandoning Xbox fans like that. My brothers and I still play USF4 on the 360 all the time. As far as I'm concerned its a far better product.

Around the Network

I don't remember feeling this way at all. I just got home after a hard, and by hard I mean fun, too rare, night out, and instead of going to bed after a quick VGC check, I had to comment on how hard I don't remember this ever being fine. Even harder than tonight. Totally humorlessly. SO HARD. This game launched with it's main task being to redeem itself....Does this not set off any alarm bells? As heinous as that is, it's debatable whether or not it's succeeded. I'll leave that to those that dove into it's cesspool.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

It's quite clear what Capcom needs to do: seek closer ties with Nintendo. Get more Street Fighter characters into Smash, get a Monster Hunter character into smash, etc. to promote their games more aggressively. Super Smash Bros. is the king of fighting games, maybe Capcom should ask Nintendo for advice on what to do with their franchises. A Capcom vs. Nintendo fighting game would be cool for example and it would sell a lot in both Japan and the rest of the world. Development costs would also be shared, so less risk for Capcom (Nintendo also acts as publisher).

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

I think SFV has a series of problems:

1) unlike SFIV, it feels like this had a tiny budget and was rushed out

2) unlike SFIV, which came after a long break with anew art style, this cane after IV, SSFIV, SSFIVAE and USFIV.

3) where MK started to provide buyers with tons of content, costumes and areally good story mode, with crisp visuals, interactive backgrounds, SFV was anemic and charged for what would essentially be given free in MK.

4) whilst MKs story mode can be taken seriously, SFVs is very slapstick and camp. It seems like the only decent story they've been able to pull off its SF2 AM.

5) the game was designed around MT and season passes for the everyday gamer. This leads to the next point;

6) the FGC aren't big enough to make this a mainstream success.

I would have preferred this game if it would have had the old school 2D animated sprites, with crisp visuals and levels like GG and BB.

Sony should have really partnered with Capcom and used their anime studios to write and create the story mode.

Capcom should have looked at MK and the content it offers, then used that to build the content of their game.

The game not doing well might come as a huge blow to the FGC if they decide not to make another one. I still think it's miles ahead of MK in terms of combat itself.

That's what Capcom gets for making bad decisions (time after time). They should have worked on it way before launch with their playerbase, the beta didn't do nearly enough and they launched in an incomplete state despite the beta. They also ignored the Xbox userbase as well, which doesn't exactly help them in the long run.

The more deals they make with a single Console system per game, the more it hurts them over time and it shows.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

What did they expect? Even if Street Fighter is the biggest of its kind, the fighting genre isn't as big as it once was. Add to that PS4-PC exclusivity, half of the content missing at release, slow updates, full price from the beginning, microtransactions... Once people turned their heads to other games, it was all over.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Chazore said:
That's what Capcom gets for making bad decisions (time after time). They should have worked on it way before launch with their playerbase, the beta didn't do nearly enough and they launched in an incomplete state despite the beta. They also ignored the Xbox userbase as well, which doesn't exactly help them in the long run.

The more deals they make with a single Console system per game, the more it hurts them over time and it shows.

Let's be real for a moment here. Would having launched on the Xbox made SFV a better game? I don't think so. they may have got 200-300k more sales, but they would have lost out on the financial backing. 

As you said, the game was anemic, rushed, and found lacking compared to its rival. launching on Xbox would have achieved nothing. 

spemanig said:
That's really depressing.

Why? This is a self-inflicted wound. Capcom chose for this. Let's hope they'll learn from it before they go under or something.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Fei-Hung said:

Let's be real for a moment here. Would having launched on the Xbox made SFV a better game? I don't think so. they may have got 200-300k more sales, but they would have lost out on the financial backing. 

As you said, the game was anemic, rushed, and found lacking compared to its rival. launching on Xbox would have achieved nothing. 

keeping it exclusive hasn't done it absolute wonders.

Capcom still making deals with one company per system epr game isn't going to net them massive results and it hasn't done them many favors to get them to a point where they wouldn't feel like they have to make said deals.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Do Capcom make money from tournaments? I heard the game is doing pretty well within the FGC.