By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted 4 surpasses Halo 5 in global total sales

Goodnightmoon said:

And meanwhile a new Ip on the tiniest userbase this gen has outsold them both.

Uncharted 4 is way ahead launch aligned. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Uncharted 4 is way ahead launch aligned. 

Yeah it will eventually surpass it, but the fact that is still above both being totally new on such a tiny userbase is really an impressive achievement, imagine if the userbase was big.

Goodnightmoon said:

You shouldn't take other people excuses like that man.

They will certainly find excuses why Splatoon did so good when they were expecting less than 1M sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Goodnightmoon said:

Didn't know Ouya had such a game!

bevochan said:

It seems that you're new here.  During the last generation PS3 vs Xbox360, the PS3 was pretty much the underdog for the majority of the generation.  The lead xbox franchise game Halo 3 sold 12+ million copies, and Xbox360 console sales were selling much better than PS3 during majority of the generation.  In the US, Xbox360 consistently outsold PS3 2-to-1., and this site was predominantly Xbox360 supporters.  The comments betweent the PS3 fanboys and the Xbox360 fanboys were very heated.  Unfortunately, you can't necrobump older threads because the mods will ban you for a day.   Most people thought that the Xbox1 was also going to dominate this generation and Halo games continued to sell close to 10 million copies.  Because the PS4 handily has been doing much better than Xbox1, the xbox people have mainly been underground these days.  You rarely see vitriol in the threads regarding PS vs Xbox threads now.  

LMAO, ok...okay...First I like was WTF is this history lesson for but it's for the context, I get it, you were talking about this site specifically. I take your word when you say 2 years ago it was unfathomable idea here in this forum. Thing is, unfathomable is such a strong word that I really cannot understand how 2 years ago, in 2014 people could have been so completely blind. When Wii was at the top of its success, back then it would have been unfathomable to think Wii's successor would flop the way Wii U did. But in 2014 thinking U4 not having any chance against H5, lol

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Now vgchartz numbers are garbage to some people, wow

Yeah, the way I see this site should always be live by the sword and die by the sword, it's silly to one week have a thread about how great a certain game according to the sales here.. but the next week dismiss them as being nonsense numbers with no basis in reality.

I mean for games like UC4 and Halo 5 most of the figures have probably been adjusted in line with sales figures from other sources by now so they would be within the 5% margin that Brett likes to keep on the numbers here.

OT though - That is a pretty cool feat, I think at the time where Uncharted one launched against Halo 3 there was no real dream that the series would outsell a numbered Halo game, of course the install base of the X1 compared to PS4 makes this happen but still makes me think, is there going to come a time when Halo comes to the PC so that those who installed Vista to play Halo 2 will finally get to finish the fight on their system of choice.

The difference in userbase may have helped and if they were Multiplats I would agree with you (where usually Xbox sells a higher tie ratio because they have more USA sales) but when we think Halo would be the system seller them we can see it's much of a failure since it didn't moved consoles enough.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Intrinsic said:
WC4Life said:
Unfathomable? No, never was.
The "console war" was already decided two years ago which guaranteed a huge install base advantage for Uncharted 4. Naughty Dog's last game was The Last of Us and Uncharted 3 being also a success. The bad reception of Halo 4.

yeah right...

Errrr... so how do you factor in halo 2 selling 8M+ copies when on a console that had less than 20% of the total console sales of the leading console?

Or Halo 3 selling at least twice as much as every other PS3 exclusive even tho both consoles were neck and neck in global sales?

we can always find ways to excuse why a game doesn't sell as well, or in this case why another game sells better. I think we should just leave it as is, Uncharted did something right, bad reception or not, if halo 5 did all thr right things it would sell as well as it used to. 

The install base advantage for U4 is/was just an advantage, not the decider. If it was vice versa, wouldn't H5 had a better chance? Halo franchise has had amazing attach-ratio in the past and you could say it's an advantage for H5 but to solely rely on that assumption and give the win for H5 is not wise.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

DonFerrari said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Yeah, the way I see this site should always be live by the sword and die by the sword, it's silly to one week have a thread about how great a certain game according to the sales here.. but the next week dismiss them as being nonsense numbers with no basis in reality.

I mean for games like UC4 and Halo 5 most of the figures have probably been adjusted in line with sales figures from other sources by now so they would be within the 5% margin that Brett likes to keep on the numbers here.

OT though - That is a pretty cool feat, I think at the time where Uncharted one launched against Halo 3 there was no real dream that the series would outsell a numbered Halo game, of course the install base of the X1 compared to PS4 makes this happen but still makes me think, is there going to come a time when Halo comes to the PC so that those who installed Vista to play Halo 2 will finally get to finish the fight on their system of choice.

The difference in userbase may have helped and if they were Multiplats I would agree with you (where usually Xbox sells a higher tie ratio because they have more USA sales) but when we think Halo would be the system seller them we can see it's much of a failure since it didn't moved consoles enough.

Yeah I get you, it's not about install base when you are planning the sales to include the system.

Also seems that a lot of people traded their copies in if you look at a place like CEX here you can find Halo 5 for €15, but something which launched earlier than it in The Master Chief collection holds value at €20 preowned just because I guess people are more likely to retain the game with the bigger amount of campaign to go back to rather than just hold onto 5 for its campaign/multiplayer.

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=885370929522

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=885370863932

People selling your game to these shops soon after launch really hurts more new sales since you just get the launch copies of it floating around and fulfilling peoples desire to buy and play the game.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

walsufnir said:
Dr.Vita said:

Great achievement for the Uncharted franchise!
The Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection also outsold the Halo: The Master Chief Collection.
The Uncharted franchise is just bigger than the Halo franchise nowadays.

Not surprising with twice the userbase.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221851&page=1#

Hynad said:
walsufnir said:

Not surprising with twice the userbase.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221851&page=1#

Well, that puts both systems to a shame. Both games won't beat Mario Kart in terms of sales and attach rate.

/thread