By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Cerny: Converting a game to Pro is just 0.2 or 0.3% of overall efforts

And for developers still on the fence, Cerny's argument for embracing the PS4 Pro seems simple: he's worked hard to minimize the extra effort required, and support for Pro likely makes your game more appealing to folks who buy the new (but not too new!) console.

"The target was to make sure that support [for the PS4 Pro] could be done for a fraction of a percent of the overall effort," Cerny said. "And I do mean a fraction of a percent. I mean, I've run the math, and it's 0.2 or 0.3 percent for these projects -- some of them. So at that point, I think it's very natural for the development community to support the platform."

Also here is a bit more on his numbers.

"Most of the work goes into implementing, in the case of these three titles, checkerboard rendering, in order to get the resolutions up to 2160p, or close to 2160p. And that hasn't been that much," said Cerny. "The initial implementation of checkerboard rendering for each of these titles was 3 weeks, for each of them, by 1 programmer. And you know, these are games where, these days, a typical game will have 100 people, 300 people, for years on end. So we're talking about 1 programmer for a couple of weeks. It's not too much."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/283611/Inside_the_PlayStation_4_Pro_with_Mark_Cerny.php#tophead

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

If we assume the average game requires the conditions quoted to achieve proper PS4 Pro support, it means the average game could be ready for PS4 Pro support in about 3.5 days if you divide the work among six capable programmers, and that's assuming a seven day work week during development crunch time. If we're talking a standard five day work week, 40 hours, that would drop to 2.5 days for six programmers.

The problem here is that I'm sure there is a time difference based on engine quirks, general workload and ability to offload that new task, and desire to accomplish the task to begin with. Not to mention this is Playstation specific work and for only what is likely to be a smaller number of the overall number of PS4s out in the wild. It's going to be hard to convince developers that are already having a hard time hitting any given deadline these days to tack more onto their workload, which is a problem I'm guessing will arise with the Scorpio as well if developers don't latch onto the Pro features.

I guess its just the whole notion of spending any time on what is essentially a free update. All ps4 games work on ps4 pro and publishers/devs don't get any extra money on putting in any extra effort. I am assuming that they also have to test it and etc to make sure there aren't any issues and if there are, they also have to spend time resolving those. Thats just what my theory is anyway.

But my question is, if devs are already not wanting to put in some extra effort to improve games for the ps4pro, how are they going to do it for the scorpio? Or has MS found the perfect number for running any xbox one game at xbox setting at 4k.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

LuckyTrouble said:
If we assume the average game requires the conditions quoted to achieve proper PS4 Pro support, it means the average game could be ready for PS4 Pro support in about 3.5 days if you divide the work among six capable programmers, and that's assuming a seven day work week during development crunch time. If we're talking a standard five day work week, 40 hours, that would drop to 2.5 days for six programmers.

The problem here is that I'm sure there is a time difference based on engine quirks, general workload and ability to offload that new task, and desire to accomplish the task to begin with. Not to mention this is Playstation specific work and for only what is likely to be a smaller number of the overall number of PS4s out in the wild. It's going to be hard to convince developers that are already having a hard time hitting any given deadline these days to tack more onto their workload, which is a problem I'm guessing will arise with the Scorpio as well if developers don't latch onto the Pro features.

You're also assuming that the work required to implement this can be done in parallel.

This really only matters when thinking about retrofitting PS4pro support into older games. Going forward a PS4pro mode or "settings" will be built right along with the game at the engine design level.

It's kinda like the PC, right off the bat the option(s) are there to either increase rez, AA/Type of AA, AF....etc. You basically have all these toggles that you put on or of or to high or low with the trade off being your framerate. With the Pro, all those things are basically manager by the dev....

anyways, I don't see this being too much of a hassle, being that the devs already have the material on the PC, it's just about ironing down a configuration for the PS4pro mode.

Around the Network

This really is a good thing because most mid generation upgrades splinter the console market. This would help minimize things with PlayStation.

It makes sense that it wouldn't take much work to patch in Pro support, at least for titles that maybe already have more demanding builds on PC. But those are awfully exact numbers to be throwing around while also using a qualifier like "some of them". A less sizzling title for Gamasutra would have been "as low as 0.2-0.3% of overall effort in some cases".

"0.2 or 0.3%"

Is he sure its not 0.4?

and it is a shame that most developers don't bother to update their games...

The reason why developers will put in this extra effort is the same reason they put in the effort now: competition.

If you can make your game look better than the other games releasing in the same window then you have a leg up on your competitors. Everyone is already trying to make their game look the best. This is just another battlefield and you want to win on every battlefield you can.