By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Cerny: Converting a game to Pro is just 0.2 or 0.3% of overall efforts

That's awesome for the developers!

Around the Network
Conina said:
potato_hamster said:

This is just to allow the game to output at 4K using the checkerboard pattern, and leaving the rest of the game un-modified. This has absolutely nothing to do with actually optimizing the game to take full advantage of the additional hardware. 

It ain't "just a different output method" of the same native rendered resolution. The PS4 Pro has to render two 1920x1080 images instead of one 1920x1080 image per frame as source for the 4K-checkerboard-image. So a PS4P-game with 4K-checkerboard-resolution is taking advantage of the additional hardware. Other games will offer PS4-modes with 1920x1080 in 60 fps instead of 1920x1080 in 30 fps or they will use better anti-aliasing or they will use different postprocessing-effects (f.e. shadows) ... that is also taking advantage of the additional hardware.

And all these options aren't taking much time/effort to set up and a few beta testers / QA members can test which presets work best or are problematic. Every modern game engine is scalable. It is no rocket science.

Well, yes, it is technically rendering twice as many pixels, and this will obviously use some of the additional processing power the PS4 Pro has (otherwise they'd just do the same on regular PS4s) . But this is just a bit disingenous to say "converting a game to Pro is just 0.2% or 0.3% of overall efforts". Yes it can be that simple, but that is a bare minimum effort.

My point being is that this process can be optimized, and there will additional resources left over that can be used to enhance the game further. It is those further enhancements that I am referring to. And if you think every modern game engine is easily scalable, I'd go poke under the hood of Uncharted 4's engine. I bet you many of Naughty Dog's "to the metal" enhancements they did to get more out of the PS4 hardware aren't going to scale so easily without adding bloat to the engine, and fundamentally making the game run worse (even if it is only very minor). Optimizing game engines isn't trivial on consoles. Those that do have a mastery of it have some of the highest paying jobs on video game development teams because the skillset and technical know how is extensive.

It's always nice when producers do their best to make their HW easier to program.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!