By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Was Obama America's weakest president yet?

In comparison to Putin, yes

Around the Network
vivster said:
The US is not and should not be the world police.

Actually by result of being the "leader of the free world" the US is expected and obliged to do a lot of stuff.  Fortunately most of it happens through the UN and is fairly uncontraversial.  No one objects to US troups digging people out of earthquakes, etc...

naruball said:
LadyJasmine said:

People look at world leaders superfically.

People love  our PM of Canada only because he is good looking.

In reality he is a centrist moderate. 

I read somewhere that his ministers are all experts on their field. That's a step towards the right direction, me thinks.

They are not all experts in the field as that it impossibile with only 180 people to chose from.

If you actually knew anything apart from Canadian politics before Justin Trudeau was elected...( i imagine not) 

That largely has been the case regardless. 

numberwang said:
Obama started wars in Libya and Syria by bombing the rulers and supporting "rebels", results are worse than Bush's wars.

Obama also accumulated more debt than all presidents before him combined. It is now at 165K per taxpayer.

The rest is mostly noise and can be changed by later Presidents.

On the debt issue, you do know we were coming out of a recession right.  Also the debt from the previous years do not just disappear because their interest just doubles and is added on to the current debt.  Last but not least, it's not just the President that is responsible for the national debt.  Congress plays a big role in the debt as well, especially if Congress is in control by the party that would shoot their own grandmother than see a successful Obama presidency.

I know a lot of people like to throw the debt thing around but its really more complex then putting it all on the President shoulders.  Also with a Congress that pretty much blocked anything the President supported even if they proposed it themselves hampering anything you do, I am surprised he got anything done.

Rab said:
In comparison to Putin, yes

In what way, are you trying to compare what a dictator can do compared to the US President??

Around the Network

This thread will go on for ten more pages but it pretty much is

If you dont like Obama anything Positive he did does not count.

if you like Obama anything negative he did was not his fault...

/end discussion

LadyJasmine said:

If you actually knew anything apart from Canadian politics before Justin Trudeau was elected...( i imagine not) 

If your government isn't making the international news, they are probably ok.  The last I heard from Canada was when it was snowing a lot.  I assume everything has been ok since then :)

I heard about the new Canadian PM when he went to the UN to give a speech that went down fairly well.  Canada hasn't done anything big like, I don't know, leaving the EU or having a democratic election where 50% of the candidates have no political experience.

Canada is not making news.  Canada is smart.

OneTime said:
LadyJasmine said:

If your government isn't making the international news, they are probably ok.  The last I heard from Canada was when it was snowing a lot.  I assume everything has been ok since then :)

I heard about the new Canadian PM when he went to the UN to give a speech that went down fairly well.  Canada hasn't done anything big like, I don't know, leaving the EU or having a democratic election where 50% of the candidates have no political experience.

Canada is not making news.  Canada is smart.

The PM of Canada thinks we can be the great peacekeepers of the world and send a few 100 UN troops around when the UN has become a rather useless enity with Russia and China having the Veto these days compared to the past.

LadyJasmine said:
This thread will go on for ten more pages but it pretty much is

If you dont like Obama anything Positive he did does not count.

if you like Obama anything negative he did was not his fault...

/end discussion

Actually, my UK political position should make me a Republican in the US.  Yet I can't say that that Obama is a bad president, or that things that he has done (Obamacare/Gun purchase restrictions) or tried to do are wrong.

Basically Republicans and Trump are so far to the right that Obama is pretty much where Merkel, Theresa May and Cameron are positioned in Europe.  Bernie Sanders is the only US politician I'd describe as "left of center".

It's not good news for Republicans if people on the right in Europe think that the Democrats are a good model for center-right politics.

Define strength.

Were we strong when we compromised and enslaved a people for decades?
Were we strong when we brokered and broke several treaties in the Indian Wars?
Were we strong when we denied half the population the right to vote?
Were we strong when we outlawed criticism of the state?
Were we strong when we put our citizenry in camps due to their ancestry?
Were we strong when we persecuted people based on their political beliefs?
Were we strong when we segregated society based on race?
Were we strong when we manipulated foreign elections? Supported despots?
Were we strong when we responded to being attacked by stripping rights and invading a country on false pretense?

This whole myth that the United States only now under the Obama administration has problems in regards to human rights, foreign intervention, wealth distribution, and corruption demonstrates a staggering lack of knowledge of the history of this country.

I am perfectly fine with criticizing the President, in fact I'd encourage it. However, this hyberbolic nonsense of "worst ever" and how things "have never been so bad" comes from a place of ignorance. Obama didn't create Guantanamo, the Patriot Act, chronic debt, wealth inequality, racism, globalization, and many other problems and challenges we face. Have I disagreed with him at times? Yes, but I also understand the limitations on the office and how we have a president that works with a congress rather than a dictator.

We can do better, but frankly I think the harsh question Americans need to ask themselves is what type of president do they deserve? I look at the two major nominees in 2016 and I would call out the electorate and question their strength of character in these times.