By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Switch will make our biggest dream a reality: A home console Pokemon RPG

V-r0cK said:
Zkuq said:

Obviously they want to show off what makes it different. They'd be stupid not to. And I agree that technically it's a portable, but I wouldn't expect it to get treated like one - at least right away. They'll treat it as a home console for a good while, I'm sure.

Well I don't see Nintendo releasing a 3DS sucessor now with the NS so it's best if Nintendo treats this as a handheld equally as a home console.

....unless they still plan to release a new handheld soon O_o

I wouldn't consider a new handheld impossible. 3DS must still be very profitable, and a new handheld would also have potential to be profitable. And Switch is kind of big, so there could still be room for a smaller device too. Anyway, whatever's best is more or less irrelevant right now, because Nintendo seems to consider it a home console (for now at least). Maybe they'll aim it more towards the handheld market too in the future, but we'll have to wait for that.

Around the Network

I really hope that all handheld exclusives will come to the Switch and Nintendo doesn't get the stupid idea of releasing another handheld.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
I really hope that all handheld exclusives will come to the Switch and Nintendo doesn't get the stupid idea of releasing another handheld.

That would be the worst thing ever!

Zkuq said:
People seem to be really keen on forgetting that Nintendo stated that Switch is a home console. Yes, it also acts as a portable console, but it's designed as a home console and as such, it would probably be wise to assume it won't be treated as a portable. 3DS has sold a good bit and it's far from dead, so I'm expecting Nintendo to still continue releasing handhelds. They won't stop after a successful device, they'll stop after an unsuccessful one. Besides, Switch is too big for a lot of things you could use a handheld for.

When Nintendo release a dedicated portable it'll just be the Switch in a smaller casing, clamshell or slides  up design, with built in buttons & less energy consumption. The whole point of the hybrid is a unified platform, 1 development pipeline. A seperate line of handhelds ia not happening. Mobile technology moves fast, people's concerns with Switches size/battery will be addressable in 12-18months when the 3DS is on its final leg.

teigaga said:
Zkuq said:
People seem to be really keen on forgetting that Nintendo stated that Switch is a home console. Yes, it also acts as a portable console, but it's designed as a home console and as such, it would probably be wise to assume it won't be treated as a portable. 3DS has sold a good bit and it's far from dead, so I'm expecting Nintendo to still continue releasing handhelds. They won't stop after a successful device, they'll stop after an unsuccessful one. Besides, Switch is too big for a lot of things you could use a handheld for.

When Nintendo release a dedicated portable it'll just be the Switch in a smaller casing, clamshell or slides  up design, with built in buttons & less energy consumption. The whole point of the hybrid is a unified platform, 1 development pipeline. A seperate line of handhelds ia not happening. Mobile technology moves fast, people's concerns with Switches size/battery will be addressable in 12-18months when the 3DS is on its final leg.

Ah, an excellent point. I was going to argue with you about this but this is an excellent point. Still, it'll be a while until that happens, and until then, we should expect Switch to get treated as a home console - and maybe even after that, at least to an extent. You can't necessarily apply the same game design to both home console games and portable games because of the differences in how they're played. Unless, of course, it's Nintendo's intention to shroud the line between the two, which actually seems plausible. If so, that's a clever plan from Nintendo. I think I've just arrived at the same conclusion as a lot of people, but I've done so through a different line of thought. :D

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
This is interesting. People will try to bring up recent quotes made by the Pokemon company to contradict this but, the Switch is a hybrid. The Pokemon Company/GameFreak/Nintendo have to make a pokemon game for the Switch and it can't be half assed. It has to take advantage of the Switch's power and finally we'll have an HD full scale Pokemon game.

And not to mention that if NIntendo markets a huge game like Zelda or Skyrim on the go, then surely a bite sized pokemon game can be advertised in the same manner. It's inevitable and Kimishima is a business man. He's going to want to make business decisions that make sense, and will sell their newest hardware. They are resting on their Laurels with 3DS but there's no telling when 3DS will give out. It's holding its own quite well and I see why they would want to continue to support 3DS but, it's time to move on.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Zkuq said:
V-r0cK said:

Well I don't see Nintendo releasing a 3DS sucessor now with the NS so it's best if Nintendo treats this as a handheld equally as a home console.

....unless they still plan to release a new handheld soon O_o

I wouldn't consider a new handheld impossible. 3DS must still be very profitable, and a new handheld would also have potential to be profitable. And Switch is kind of big, so there could still be room for a smaller device too. Anyway, whatever's best is more or less irrelevant right now, because Nintendo seems to consider it a home console (for now at least). Maybe they'll aim it more towards the handheld market too in the future, but we'll have to wait for that.

I agree about a smaller device.  If the switch proves to be a success, I can easily see Nintendo scrapping any thought of a true 3DS successor and just develop a smaller, handheld-only model of the NS and call it their new handheld device.  And honestly, that would be the best route to take since Nintendo would still be able to have a unified library in that scneario.