By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 6 reasons to be hyped and a few to worry about the NS

daredevil.shark said:
Captain_Yuri said:
I think provided it has a reasonable price and a good battery life, it will do well! If the battery life is under 5 hours... I would be on the esssh train but we have yet to know about that.

I am so far liking what they produced. It looks quite neat and I am quite excited for it. Hopefully they don't mess this one up!

Latest rumors are pointing 3 hour battery life.

Yea but hopefully... Those are just rumors. 

Her sources are apperently dev kits which a) we don't know how long ago it was (unless someone found out) and b) Consumer editions always have changes

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I don't really have a worry outside of the price. I want the option to just by the dock, tablet and pro controller. If they can do that for £250, I'm in.

Captain_Yuri said:
Soundwave said:

3 hours for the types of graphics Nintendo was showing is pretty darn good to be honest. 

Tegra X1/X2 is not a joke, it's a monster of a chip for a *mobile* chip, the battery you would need to power that for more than 3 hours would be ridiculous in size. 

People also think "well my tablet gets like 8 hours". No it doesn't. Not under heavy gaming, it's maybe half that in that case. You get 8 hours doing low processing power tasks like surfing the internet or dicking around on Youtube. 

Ummm... Not from a usability standpoint... People can say how impressive it is all they want but it is going to get rekt in the reviews and public perception if it is only 3 hours. If it ain't at least 5, most people won't like that aspect at all and it is important enough to be a deal breaker. It was one of the biggest complaints of the wiiU gamepad.

Considering it is a new very efficient arch and it is meant to be portable, if they don't have a battery that lasts 5+ hours... Then they goofed it.

3 hours for a single gaming session is enough for me. If you need more I'm sure they have an expandable battery or you can carry a battery pak. This is a device not designed for a pocket anyway, so if you have a bag, unless you have the smallest bag ever made, you'll have space for a battery. 

I'd rather have the higher graphics performance than having something less capable but I can get an extra 2 hours of charge out of (whoopity doo). I'm going to guess too that the Switch can run for longer than 3 hours if it's a less demanding game, 3 hours is just for the higher end games, but if a developer makes say a 3DS or Vita tier title with somewhat better graphics, that for 4-5 hours is probably more than doable. 

3 hours will be for if you want to closer to console tier graphics, which is fair considering there's nothing else giving you anywhere near that type of an experience outside a monster sized gaming lap top (which also probably dies after 3-4 hours when not connected to wall power). 

Soundwave said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Ummm... Not from a usability standpoint... People can say how impressive it is all they want but it is going to get rekt in the reviews and public perception if it is only 3 hours. If it ain't at least 5, most people won't like that aspect at all and it is important enough to be a deal breaker. It was one of the biggest complaints of the wiiU gamepad.

Considering it is a new very efficient arch and it is meant to be portable, if they don't have a battery that lasts 5+ hours... Then they goofed it.

3 hours for a single gaming session is enough for me. If you need more I'm sure they have an expandable battery or you can carry a battery pak. This is a device not designed for a pocket anyway, so if you have a bag, unless you have the smallest bag ever made, you'll have space for a battery. 

I'd rather have the higher graphics performance than having something less capable but I can get an extra 2 hours of charge out of (whoopity doo). I'm going to guess too that the Switch can run for longer than 3 hours if it's a less demanding game, 3 hours is just for the higher end games, but if a developer makes say a 3DS or Vita tier title with somewhat better graphics, that for 4-5 hours is probably more than doable. 

Good but most people aren't you. Its this type of thinking that makes hardware sell badly... Just because it is acceptable for you doesn't mean it is acceptable for the masses. The masses do not understand or care what it's running, they care about whether or not they can carry it around and go places. If it is portable, it should be designed to be portable... Not designed to be kept near a charger.

2 extra hours of battery (in addition to 3 hours) is a big deal and I stated that as a minimum... 3 Hours of battery life is legit, nothing. If they were going to have such a small battery life, they shouldn't have bothered with this concept to begin with because it really isn't "Play at home or Take it to Go" concept. Because no one can take it go with that small of a battery life and if the point was to keep it at home in the first place, then they should have just made a regular console instead of half-assing the portability. 5 hours should be the minimum for demanding games and it should be even more for less if they want it to not get hammered by the reviews...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

If your after a portable (I'm not) then it brings xbox 360/ps3 performance to the portable level with greater memory which is good and I'm sure there will be an easy way of connecting a large usb li-ion external battery pack to extend running time to 10 hours plus easily. As a home console though its pretty hopeless and not something I'm interested in until there is perhaps half a dozen must have games which is likely 2-3 years from now so I feel I'll be playing the waiting game.

I was disappointed in how little time I spent on my wii u. There was enough games for me to justify buying it but perhaps not my greatest purchase. I'll buy Zelda for my wii u.

Nintendo have set such a low performance level with the Switch that emulation is also possible fairly quickly. Arm cores and nvidia graphics are easy to emulate compared to more custom hardware.

Around the Network

I'm worried about the power. What can be expected from this? How can a tablet so small deliver images close to Xbox One?

HintHRO said:
I'm worried about the power. What can be expected from this? How can a tablet so small deliver images close to Xbox One?

I dont know. I thought the WiiU was leaps and bounds beyond any tablet, but apparently I was wrong.

I just wonder if they will skip touch functionality for the sake of price and a unified experience

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

RolStoppable said:
The only thing I really find interesting about this article is that it argues from the point of view that Switch is a home console and thus worries about Nintendo's handheld future. Meanwhile, we have a thread here where many people insist that Switch is a handheld.

Well, it's handheld, but what they're arguing is that it can't be a home console too (despite offering all the features of a home console) because it also does something else. You know, like the PS3 which isn't a home console because it's a blu-ray player.

All those reasons to be hyped are non-reasons basically. It keeps multiplayer on the couch - just like the PS4 and X1. It's different from the PS4 and X1 - just the WiiU. It's obviously clickbait.