By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Nintendo officially quit console gaming. Switch is a handheld system

KLXVER said:
I can play it on a TV with a regular controller. Its a console. It just happens to double as a handheld.

so the vita is a console as well

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Here's the difference compared to something like PSP...

Switch was designed from the ground up to work as a home console. Not only does it connect to a television, it supports multiple controllers for local multiplayer, it will have split screen games, etc.

The PSP was designed to a be a true home console. TV support didn't come until the second model, PSP games only take like 50% of the screen, and it only does single player. Simply connecting to a TV doesn't make PSP and Switch equal.

The iPad or any number of Android tablets can do everything you described. I don't consider them home console. 

IMO it's a home console if it's actually competing in the home console market. This is really not. This is going to be largely something supported by 3DS and whatever is left of the Vita base, every aspect of its form factor/design is for portability (screen, LCD, tablet design, tablet GPU, tablet CPU, detachable controllers so you always have an extra controller on the road, kick stand so you can stand it up away from the TV, etc. etc. etc.). 

Nintendo would prefer to "brand" it as a "home console" for the time being because they still want people to buy 3DS this holiday season. I'm not even sure if this is Nintendo's global branding policy for the NX, because I think only NOA referred to it that way. 

I don't get how you guys can look at a tablet and not see a tablet. Its like you trained your eyes to not see whats in front of you. Ditch the controller nubs. Ditch the taco shell base. Just look at the base unit that is absolutely required. What do you see? A tablet.

All Nintendo did was make a tablet. Then tell you that its not a tablet.

bunchanumbers said:
I don't get how you guys can look at a tablet and not see a tablet. Its like you trained your eyes to not see whats in front of you. Ditch the controller nubs. Ditch the taco shell base. Just look at the base unit that is absolutely required. What do you see? A tablet.

lol, it's kinda of hilarious. I swear to some people if Nintendo made clothes they could say this:

Is a men's t-shirt and some people would say "yeah I guess it is, I mean it's just longer, but it's still a t-shirt that a man would wear". 

Soundwave said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Here's the difference compared to something like PSP...

Switch was designed from the ground up to work as a home console. Not only does it connect to a television, it supports multiple controllers for local multiplayer, it will have split screen games, etc.

The PSP was designed to a be a true home console. TV support didn't come until the second model, PSP games only take like 50% of the screen, and it only does single player. Simply connecting to a TV doesn't make PSP and Switch equal.

The iPad or any number of Android tablets can do everything you described. I don't consider them home console. 

IMO it's a home console if it's actually competing in the home console market. This is really not.

While tablets can offer features similar as Switch, they lack the software support to make them compelling. I mean the best reaons to do that with a tablet is probably emulation.

Wii U was a pretty traditional home console but it was not going head on with Sony and MS. Does that mean it wasn't a home console? No. Nintendo is looking for an audience Sony and MS aren't spending billions to fight for.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Soundwave said:

IMO it's a home console if it's actually competing in the home console market. This is really not.

While tablets can offer features similar as Switch, they lack the software support to make them compelling. I mean the best reaons to do that with a tablet is probably emulation.

Wii U was a pretty traditional home console but it was not going head on with Sony and MS. Does that mean it wasn't a home console? No. Nintendo is looking for an audience Sony and MS aren't spending billions to fight for.

It was going head to head with Sony and MS. It just did a terrible job at doing that, lol. 

If Sony made this exact same product and it was called "Sony Switch" and there was no Playstation 4, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would say Sony is getting out of the traditional console business. Because they basically would be. 

This isn't even like the previous two Nintendo consoles where they were underpowered but had a new controller gimmick to basically "replace" the lack of power. This is a portable game machine with a plastic dock that lets it play on a TV, but every other design aspect is basically it being a portable. 

bunchanumbers said:

How can you not see that it's a home console with it's own screen?

If the processing power in the Wii-U base unit was magically transferred to the controller, would that make it 'just a tablet'?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

People who saying its "terrible" and a "gimmick" were never going to buy it in the first place no matter how perfect it was.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~
Soundwave said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It was going head to head with Sony and MS. It just did a terrible job at doing that, lol. 

If Sony made this exact same product and it was called "Sony Switch" and there was no Playstation 4, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would say Sony is getting out of the traditional console business. Because they basically would be. 

This isn't even like the previous two Nintendo consoles where they were underpowered but had a new controller gimmick to basically "replace" the lack of power. This is a portable game machine with a plastic dock that lets it play on a TV, but every other design aspect is basically it being a portable. 

Sony doesn't know how to make local multiplayer games. That's what really makes a console a home console.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

LOL, the last video I watched of PSVR gameplay (Playroom VR, I think?) was purely local multiplayer. Sony don't know how to make em, tho.