By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So Nintendo officially quit console gaming. Switch is a handheld system

arcaneguyver said:
LOL, the last video I watched of PSVR gameplay (Playroom VR, I think?) was purely local multiplayer. Sony don't know how to make em, tho.

>VR

>Local multiplayer

Choose one.

What was the last Sony-made, local multiplayer game? LBP3? 1.86M

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
arcaneguyver said:
LOL, the last video I watched of PSVR gameplay (Playroom VR, I think?) was purely local multiplayer. Sony don't know how to make em, tho.

>VR

>Local multiplayer

Choose one.

What was the last Sony-made, local multiplayer game? LBP3? 1.86M

This is not local multiplayer, I guess. https://youtu.be/b73-0Z1xLjE

Fact is, there are quite a few local multiplayer titles, but rarely AAA. But if it makes you feel better, sure, only Nintendo makes local multiplayer games, and this only they make home consoles. Yep.

oniyide said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Nintendo has not left the home console market. This console is to 3DS what DS was to Game Boy. You believe Nintendo is finished in the home console industry because you have no vision for the future.

I have maintained since the Eurogamer rumor that if this console is their next offering, they now have a hand held that satiated the home console audience and with that flexibility, Nintendo can modify Wii and Wii U technology to create a virtual reality home console (changing how we view home consoles) which is different from their competitors because it is the stat quo of the console as opposed to an add-on. Plus, they can do it while keeping the price of the product as low as possible.

I was basically laughed at when I said it and I am the first to say it, but there is no reason to think it could not be their realistic future. I was the first to guess what the Wii U would be and I was laughed at and ignored back then so it is nothing new to me to be treated this way.

weren't you one of the people that swore up and down that this wouldnt be a hybrid?

It isn't a hybrid. It is a hand held that has a video out. 

And my arguments were for if those rumors were true which as it turned out, they were. I said it needed more to be a hybrid and I remain in that camp. I wanted a hybrid, that is not what this console is, unfortunately.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Soundwave said:
bunchanumbers said:
I don't get how you guys can look at a tablet and not see a tablet. Its like you trained your eyes to not see whats in front of you. Ditch the controller nubs. Ditch the taco shell base. Just look at the base unit that is absolutely required. What do you see? A tablet.

All Nintendo did was make a tablet. Then tell you that its not a tablet.

lol, it's kinda of hilarious. I swear to some people if Nintendo made clothes they could say this:

Is a men's t-shirt and some people would say "yeah I guess it is, I mean it's just longer, but it's still a t-shirt that a man would wear". 

LOL! pretty much. And its a shame. I wanted so much more with NS.

superchunk said:
ugh... so much ignorance and shallow thinking when considering portable to home consoles.

It is a gaming console. It will be the only one with Nintendo IPs. It will be the only one with exclusives worth a unique purchase. Partner sheet demonstrates it will have the technology to allow all ports as well as the game creators to bring those ports.

Until first year games and real support is confirmed, there is no justification for negative reaction or pessimism.

What the hell are you even talking about?

"so much ignorance"

What ignorance? The things said in OP come straight out of the horse's mouth, do you know better than Nintendo?

"it is a gaming console"

Of course it is, when you play the semantics game anything that has something resembling a game is a gaming console, my old Tamagochi as well! When people say "console" it's clear what they mean by that, there's a clear distinction between consoles and handheld. The Switch is basically a handheld, you will never need to connect it to the dock to play games.

"no justification for negative reaction or pessimism"

There's no negative reaction, I'm not dooming or glooming Nintendo, I'm not even giving my opinion. Just stating the facts.

Around the Network
Turkish said:
superchunk said:
ugh... so much ignorance and shallow thinking when considering portable to home consoles.

It is a gaming console. It will be the only one with Nintendo IPs. It will be the only one with exclusives worth a unique purchase. Partner sheet demonstrates it will have the technology to allow all ports as well as the game creators to bring those ports.

Until first year games and real support is confirmed, there is no justification for negative reaction or pessimism.

"so much ignorance"

What ignorance? The things said in OP come straight out of the horse's mouth, do you know better than Nintendo?

"it is a gaming console"

Of course it is, when you play the semantics game anything that has something resembling a game is a gaming console, my old Tamagochi as well! When people say "console" it's clear what they mean by that, there's a clear distinction between consoles and handheld. The Switch is basically a handheld, you will never need to connect it to the dock to play games.

There's no negative reaction, I'm not dooming or glooming Nintendo, I'm not even giving my opinion. Just stating the facts.

Your last statement is how I have been treated over my view of the facts. I even tried to explain in another thread how this is great because 3DS support is exactly what Nintendo's next console needs. The ability to play games like Bravery and Monster Hunter and Pokemon on televisions makes me want to buy the console. With that said, I am simply calling it as I see it. I know what a hybrid should be and this console does not fulfill those obligations. Saying the previous statement does not mean I hate Nintendo, am casting doom and gloom, or that I want them to fail. It is simply an analysis of the current situation.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Turkish said:

"so much ignorance"

"it is a gaming console"

Horse's mouth? Nintendo stated it was a home console. Just because it has portability, doesn't mean its a "handheld". Additionally, when people push that it is a handheld, they do so with intent to make it appear as a low-tier device. Thus, negative reaction or pessimism.

Does it really matter if it is called a handheld or console?

I am more worried about the internet store and how it all works.

Turkish said:
superchunk said:

"so much ignorance"

"it is a gaming console"

I have to disagree with you, there are home consoles & handheld consoles, both are consoles! The Switch is first & foremost a handheld console to use Nintendo phrasing, not a home console like they say.

& just to be factual, you'll need to connect it to the dock to play games, because you need to charge it ;P but I get what you say & agree, you won't need it to be hooked to the TV to play it, you can spend a lifetime playing it on the go, so definitly 1st & foremost a handheld console!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

HoloDust said:
If performance is same both docked and in handheld mode I consider it more of a handheld.

If SoC runs downclocked/partly disabled in handheld mode and fully clocked/enabled in docked mode I'm leaning more toward home console with handheld mode.

If this thing is running Tegra X2, or even a juiced X1, it would destroy batteries and be hot to the touch if it wasn't downclocked for portable use. My guess is that it runs full boar in the dock - where is doesn't need to worry about battery consumption and the fan can kick on without being a nuisance. 

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7