By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How do you feel about the Switch using cartridges?

Soundwave said:
Nothing to really "feel" about it.

If you're going to have a portable form factor, you can't have discs. It's pretty much that basic.

Indeed, which is why PSP never existed.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

There are many advantages from technical side, such as smaller loading times! Also, they're more practical, since their cases are small! ;)

However, no optical disk drive for a card slot which means less cost, is enough for me to love them! Also the surplus from no optical disk drive could be invested to the power of the console!

Guys, wii u optical disk costed 25-30$... How much a card slot could cost? 5$?

How do we know that cards are costly? Is that based on the commercial price? I hope not because memory cards might just be an iPhone situation, having a manufacturing cost of 180$ and the quintuple commercial price, who cares, people will buy on  brand reputation!
Does anyone know the manufacturing cost of a fast and big capacity memory card?

tak13 said:

Guys, wii u optical disk costed 25-30$... How much a card slot could cost? 5$?

A disk drive adds to the cost of the console, but producing discs is cheap.

Carts make producing games significantly more expensive therefore we see less physical releases and maybe even less support.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I would love cartridges. Switch uses memory cards though. Pretty big difference if you ask me.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

Carts are great, but price and storage space become a concern.

Some visual apects may be scaled back to fit in smaller carts.

Storage space really isn't that much of concern. If you remember they are making flash memory in sizes of 1TB, NS carts will not be that size but they should be able to do 64GByte (not bit) rather easily and cheeply. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will not stick to the 1-to-8GB carts the 3DS have since the smaller flash sizes have been being "phased out" by the market so the prices for those sizes should be rising.

And considering the market currently the NS probally will have a 32GB(minimum)-to-128GB(max) range, with an intitial soft limit at 64GB to help lower costs.

http://kotaku.com/5714846/nintendo-3ds-cartridges-are-so-beefy-they-might-surprise-you - Source for the size of the 3DS carts, I'm sure Nintendo lifted the 2GB Nintendo enforced limitation about the time they rolled out the new 3DS.

BlkPaladin said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Carts are great, but price and storage space become a concern.

Some visual apects may be scaled back to fit in smaller carts.

Storage space really isn't that much of concern. If you remember they are making flash memory in sizes of 1TB, NS carts will not be that size but they should be able to do 64GByte (not bit) rather easily and cheeply. I'm pretty sure Nintendo will not stick to the 1-to-8GB carts the 3DS have since the smaller flash sizes have been being "phased out" by the market so the prices for those sizes should be rising.

And considering the market currently the NS probally will have a 32GB(minimum)-to-128GB(max) range, with an intitial soft limit at 64GB to help lower costs.

http://kotaku.com/5714846/nintendo-3ds-cartridges-are-so-beefy-they-might-surprise-you - Source for the size of the 3DS carts, I'm sure Nintendo lifted the 2GB Nintendo enforced limitation about the time they rolled out the new 3DS.

I think storage issues can hurt potential support. Especially the lack of a HDD for big downloads.

But it should be fine for the average gamer.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:

I think storage issues can hurt potential support. Especially the lack of a HDD for big downloads.

But it should be fine for the average gamer.

I'm pretty sure they will go the Wii U route for this were they allow you to have an external HD at home to store the games and a SD cards for on the portable part, though they will need to beef up their file managment software for that type of storage for those who want to go all or mostly digital, though a current survey showed that there has been a slow down to all digital.

In my orginal post  was just talking about the cart sizes themselves for the physical media. The carts should be the size of a duel layer br disc to start out with, which should be enough for the games since most games really do not get that big and when they do it is usally due to uncompressed media. So the size of the carts should not be any problem.

Ultrashroomz said:
Cartridges today have so many advantages for optical media, so if anything, I'm glad the Switch will be using them.

So true. The storage space discrepancy, and cost will stiil favor BR disks for now, but I love carts.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

shikamaru317 said:
Pretty good. Problem with discs is that they need to be installed for faster load times, and that install takes time, so you have to wait awhile to install a new game. And of course because you have to install everything you need a bigger hard drive. Switch using cartridges means that Nintendo can get away with 32gb of storage (rumored) since installs aren't necessary for physical games. Those who prefer digital are screwed though, with the rumored size of Switch games at like 10-20 GB, you will basically only be able to fit 1-2 digital games on the included 32 gb storage, since OS will take up some of it. Hopefully Switch supports SDXC or the digital crowd is screwed.

This is a non-issue on PS4.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."