By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How do you feel about the Switch using cartridges?

I like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Around the Network
Lawlight said:

What's the size of the internal storage? And I wonder whether they are as durable as Blu-Rays.

Edit: I know that Vita games are faster running from the memory cards than the cartridges.

The Switch is rumored to have 32Gb internal storage with a posibility of being upgraded to 64Gb.

It's one of the few things I like about it.

Its one of the things I like about the switch, cardridges are potentially much faster and I love physical media when its fast and small

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Except that cartridge somehow looked even smaller than a (3)DS game i'm totally fine with that. Short load times without installing.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Carts literally have no negative side to a consumer. How could anyone see this as something other than awesome?

Well they can actually have a negative size, and that is the small storage space (see the N64). I always liked my CGI movies as good as they can be and flawless audio + full voice acting. But if Nintendo can make a 32gb card with trully fast speeds, it could be more of a win.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:

Well they can actually have a negative size, and that is the small storage space (see the N64). I always liked my CGI movies as good as they can be and flawless audio + full voice acting. But if Nintendo can make a 32gb card with trully fast speeds, it could be more of a win.

Blu Ray is about 25Gb per layer, most discs are dual-layer discs.

NAND Flash has been affordable at 64Gb levels for some time, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect high quality CGI, Great Audio and Full Voice Acting in games.

Today's solid state memory isn't representative of the Nintendo 64 era, Moore's law is a wonderful thing.

mountaindewslave said:

its a portable home console, 2-1 combo. That's enough value in itself. You throw a blueray player in with something like this and suddenly its going to boost the costs gigantically. anyone who wants a blue ray player or a 4K player already has one anyway 

Well. It also opens up the ability for Nintendo to include a 4k Blu-Ray attachment for the Dock or include a 4k Blu-Ray player in the dock itself at a later date for a higher price.
The SoC likely has the dedicated decode blocks to handle 4k.

Wyrdness said:

Don't even bank on that tbh, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have needed to cut costs (as well as bring the price down) somewhere for such a platform especially partnering with Nvidia, I can see it being more like 64GB with external support.

Agreed. Having 100's of Gigabytes of storage on the device itself isn't a cost effective approach, Nintendo will likely wish to be profitable first thing out the gate.

trunkswd said:

How big are Nintendo games on the Wii U? 10GB? I'm used to the Xbox One and PS4 where games are 50GB.

There are a few games which are treading to almost 100Gb on the Xbox One... It's nuts! And they keep getting bigger with every update.

bonzobanana said:

In the past Nintendo said  to publishers they must pay for something like 50,000 cartridge units minimum and it was a serious investment for publishers so they only released top games that they were sure to sell. I don't know the arrangement now but if its similar it makes it more likely to reduce support. I'm sure smaller developers will keep to online downloads.

It won't be cheaper than discs  but lets face it its the only realistic option for a tablet design.

Today is very different from the cartridges of old. They are larger and cheaper to manufacture.

Plus, the Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS haven't had to deal with such logistical issues either.

Vertigo-X said:

I think it's a given that it will support external storage of some kind through the USB slots on the side. At the very least, you should be able to have a healthy library at your home.

Should have MicroSD.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I love cartridges :)

The faster access speeds potential could mean we wont need to install games anymore.
That would be one hellva nice benefit.

I went digital before so it's a step back. But i'm still cool with it as long as the games are great.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I it doesn't limit the scope of games, I'm loving it! Less loading time, how can that be bad?! BUT! It needs to be just as big as disc-based games.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.