By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How do you feel about the Switch using cartridges?

I like it. They're hard to break. work fantastically for the 3DS and look to be the same size. As for some of the posters claiming 3rd parties won't like that- why? whats your explanation?

cost wise its possibly cheaper at this point than disks and in terms fo warranty and cusomter complaints flashcards break far less often than disks. Hold as much if not more space as disks.

Third parties haven't minded for the 3DS. Its where things are headed anyway, flash drives are everywhere these days. Disks aren't that logical, too easy to damage

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
The game cartridges could be heavily compressed so still loading times as the game uncompresses to main memory. Cartridges are still more expensive to manufacture and will probably be 32 and 64 gigabit so 4 and 8 gigabytes so skyrim for example might need some compression especially if it includes all the dlc that was originally separate in the original version. There using Macronix for their cartridges.

Looking around it feels like nothing has been learned from wii and wii u with many people predicting an ultra powerful portable with huge capacity cartridges that can run the same games and at the same quality as ps4 and xbox one. It feels like we are going down the same path of hype to reality which often takes 2-3 years..

ermhm in many cases now flashdrives are cheaper to manuafacture than blueray disks. Just saying. Especially in the quantity that Nintendo games will be manufactured in.

Companies can compress extremely well though, I find it funny you bring up a Bethesda game when they're legendary at compression and I'm pretty sure managed to make versions of Skyrim like only a few GB before 

Mystro-Sama said:
superchunk said:
Carts literally have no negative side to a consumer. How could anyone see this as something other than awesome?

The only downside I can think of is if it uses carts then it won't use discs and a 4k bluray people in addition to the game system would be a nice selling point in the entire package but I guess something like that would be too cutting edge for Nintendo. lol

meh - but technically that is one reason why NS not having disc is a negative to some. Not me, but some.

Mystro-Sama said:
superchunk said:
Carts literally have no negative side to a consumer. How could anyone see this as something other than awesome?

The only downside I can think of is if it uses carts then it won't use discs and a 4k bluray people in addition to the game system would be a nice selling point in the entire package but I guess something like that would be too cutting edge for Nintendo. lol

its a portable home console, 2-1 combo. That's enough value in itself. You throw a blueray player in with something like this and suddenly its going to boost the costs gigantically. anyone who wants a blue ray player or a 4K player already has one anyway 

trunkswd said:
Wyrdness said:

Don't bank it I'm sure it'll support external storage like the Wii U does but I'd be surprised if it has a lrage internal storage.

It doesn't need 500GB or 1TB like the Xbox One and PS4, since I doubt many games will be as large. However, I think 200-250GB of storage is necessary as more and more gamers go digital.  

Don't even bank on that tbh, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have needed to cut costs (as well as bring the price down) somewhere for such a platform especially partnering with Nvidia, I can see it being more like 64GB with external support.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Mystro-Sama said:

meh - but technically that is one reason why NS not having disc is a negative to some. Not me, but some.

mountaindewslave said:
Mystro-Sama said:

its a portable home console, 2-1 combo. That's enough value in itself. You throw a blueray player in with something like this and suddenly its going to boost the costs gigantically. anyone who wants a blue ray player or a 4K player already has one anyway 

At this point I can't really say that I care since I hardly even use disc nowadays.

mountaindewslave said:

I like it. They're hard to break. work fantastically for the 3DS and look to be the same size. As for some of the posters claiming 3rd parties won't like that- why? whats your explanation?

cost wise its possibly cheaper at this point than disks and in terms fo warranty and cusomter complaints flashcards break far less often than disks. Hold as much if not more space as disks.

Third parties haven't minded for the 3DS. Its where things are headed anyway, flash drives are everywhere these days. Disks aren't that logical, too easy to damage

In the past Nintendo said  to publishers they must pay for something like 50,000 cartridge units minimum and it was a serious investment for publishers so they only released top games that they were sure to sell. I don't know the arrangement now but if its similar it makes it more likely to reduce support. I'm sure smaller developers will keep to online downloads.

It won't be cheaper than discs  but lets face it its the only realistic option for a tablet design.

trunkswd said:
Wyrdness said:

Don't even bank on that tbh, I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have needed to cut costs (as well as bring the price down) somewhere for such a platform especially partnering with Nvidia, I can see it being more like 64GB with external support.

How big are Nintendo games on the Wii U? 10GB? I'm used to the Xbox One and PS4 where games are 50GB.

The biggest I think is Xenoblade Chronicles at 24GB maybe 30GB if you install the performance packs to reduce loading although that's not a problem cartridges, most Wii U games are around 10-15GB on average. Switch games may come in at 20GB or so though.

As long as it doesn't pose any technical difficulties for games, I think I prefer it.

Carts ftw!

bb Blu Ray