By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - When will the Xbox 720 (or whatever) come put? Post your predictions here.

Expect the PS3 to outlast and outsell both current XBox 360 and next XBox.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:
Lets break it down to you StarCraft. During the period between 2000 to 2008 Games division gross profits are as follows: Nintendo leads the way with a gross profit margin of nine billion dollars. Sony has a reasonable gross profit margin of just over 2 billion dollars. Microsoft has made a gross loss of 5 billion dollars - ouch!!! MS has only made a profit of one billion dollars in the past year, the loss was at a peak of 6 billion dollars. Still a long way to break-even.

So why would they give up if their finally starting to make money??

MS Exec - "Hey we're finally making money, tell the boss we're shutting down the Xbox division!"  <-- I don't understand how you think that makes sense....

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Rock_on_2008 said:
Expect the PS3 to outlast and outsell both current XBox 360 and next XBox.

I would expect MS to launch the Xbox 720 (or whatever its called) one year before the PS4...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Lets break it down to you StarCraft. During the period between 2000 to 2008 Games division gross profits are as follows: Nintendo leads the way with a gross profit margin of nine billion dollars. Sony has a reasonable gross profit margin of just over 2 billion dollars. Microsoft has made a gross loss of 5 billion dollars - ouch!!! MS has only made a profit of one billion dollars in the past year, the loss was at a peak of 6 billion dollars. Still a long way to break-even.

So why would they give up if their finally starting to make money??

MS Exec - "Hey we're finally making money, tell the boss we're shutting down the Xbox division!" <-- I don't understand how you think that makes sense....

It will take Microsoft between 4 to 5 years to erase the 5 billion dollar loss. I guess the New XBox should be held off until 2012 or it would mean more losses. Both introducing the PS3 and XBox 360 generated an initial cost of billions to get the new consoles onto the market.

PS3 will have a long life of over 10 years, it is indeed the next PS2. It is a Playstation console that automatically guarantees a total of over 100 million consoles will be sold world wide in its life time.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:
PS3 will have a long life of over 10 years, it is indeed the next PS2. It is a Playstation console that automatically guarantees a total of over 100 million consoles will be sold world wide in its life time.

you are very optimistic. This will never happen

Well, PS3 has got more stuff that will keep it relevant for years to come.

blu-ray drive, easy upgradeable hdd, high powered cell processor...
All the stuff that held it back in the early days, was put in to give it a long lifespan.
It will probably do 10 years before they stop producing it. As they did the PSX, and are well on their way of doing with the PS2.

And if you don't believe PS3 is down the same road as the PS2, just check this:

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS2&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=156

dsoverpsp said:
stclam said:
Never, 360 is their last console

But will will team up with Sega and release DreamBox

y? it's been a success IMO so far

I dont understand why MS need to dominate the Video Game market, Xbox is just a stepping stone for them to enter your living home.

They'll be happy if Sony is not the leader (MS is not threaten by Nintendo, unless they publish Mario Windows or Zelda Office) 

I know they are earning back from money from X360 now, but if they spend the same resources on software market, they probably can earn more

If Video games developer use MS products, if their online services rely on MS technology, or if whatever consoles use MS operation system, Bill Gates will be happy.

XBOX360 is a success in US, but moderate in EU and sold totally 17 consoles in Japan. Sega have experiences in hardware and a household mascot in Sonics (+ lots of IP in their libraries), it's exactly what MS lacking,

10 years is a very LONG time in the computer/electronics market! Nintendo will have the "Casual" and a large amount of their own hardcore people (Wiifriends forever). If the Xbox360 wasn't on the market I would say the PS3 would sell over 120million, but the Xbox's presence cuts that in half, so it's job well done for Microsoft.

Tease.