By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Everything wrong with psvr

Have nor experienced any of those issues,everything works fine and there ia absolutely 0 light coming in.
Vr is amazing! Definitely considered its on a "weak" console and only cost 400.

Btw low res? What gamrs you played?
Eve valkryie and definitely rez infinite looks amazing!

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
binary solo said:
If it's not going to be a one generation wonder it might well be a must buy for the 9th gen. PSVR2 will be better, PS5 will have much better specs for delivering Uncharted/Bloodborne graphics through VR. They will have a better motion controller (they damn well better). The tech will be cheaper. The tech may be wireless. Though battery pack means a heavier, bulkier unit, possibly with heat issues. So maybe fewer wires.

Wireless will be a problem for a while.
PSVR pushes 5.5 Gbps through the hdmi lead (1080p120)
OR and Vive 5.2 Gbps (2160x1200x90) or maybe 2.6 Gbps if the pentile conversion is already done before the image reaches the headset.

Current 5GHZ bandwidth goes upto 300 mbps, about 7% of what's needed. The new 802.11ac wifi can theoretically do it, utilizing 8 bands, however a 4K screen will quadruple the necessary bandwidth again.

Sending compressed data will add lag, which wireless transmission already adds as well. It seems wireless will be the last thing to be solved unless we have some amazing breakthrough in consumer level wireless tech.

Maybe Li-Fi might solve this issue at some point. There is potential for really fast transferrates superior to radiowaves. But I agree wireless will be a though nut to crack. 

xl-klaudkil said:
Have nor experienced any of those issues,everything works fine and there ia absolutely 0 light coming in.
Vr is amazing! Definitely considered its on a "weak" console and only cost 400.

Btw low res? What gamrs you played?
Eve valkryie and definitely rez infinite looks amazing!

Same, most games look fantastic but there's a few games that low res. Driveclub VR for example. This is a software issue not an hardware issue. The movie quality is pretty good when playing blu rays or streaming. 

"- Unnatural focus and convergence. Looking at things up close puts strain on your eyes. Your brain wants to change focus and turn your eyes inwards, however you need to keep looking into the distance. Best to not get too close to things. Seeing the steering wheel right in front of you and the track both in focus in DC can also mess with your sense of scale. At some point I felt more like I was racing karts than going around a grand circuit."

I think this can be easily fixed in future iteration with foveated rendering. Only the part of the screen your eyes are focused at will be clear.

Turkish said:
"- Unnatural focus and convergence. Looking at things up close puts strain on your eyes. Your brain wants to change focus and turn your eyes inwards, however you need to keep looking into the distance. Best to not get too close to things. Seeing the steering wheel right in front of you and the track both in focus in DC can also mess with your sense of scale. At some point I felt more like I was racing karts than going around a grand circuit."

I think this can be easily fixed in future iteration with foveated rendering. Only the part of the screen your eyes are focused at will be clear.

I don't think the processing for the eyetracking will be fast and exact enough to immediatly realize which virtual object on the screen you try to focus on (which probably also would need to track the status of your eye-lens, which I'm not sure is possible at this point) and adjust to that depth-of-focus, instead it will be used to save processing power by only rendering the part of the screen you are looking at at full res

imo a more likely candidate to actually get accurate depth-of-focus in VR is the light field technology Lyto uses, but only a few cameras with that tech have been released at this point

Around the Network
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
Highly disappointed with psvr, going to shelve it for awhile.

Sell it or return it. It might just not be for you. 

Glasses was not a problem at all for me. It actually felt better WITH glasses for some reason. And I wore those big ass hipster glasses too. When I put on the PSVR, the feeling of wearing those heavy glasses just disappeared. So I think it entirely depends on the person.

The wires are also not that many and can easily be stored aside and kept organized if you have space around your setup. I'm actually playing in a very small table with my laptop, a cintiq in the same exact table as my TV monitor(24 inch) and all the cables and PS4 and Ps3 are located below it and I still managed to store them all away from my play area. Even in a small area I was able to play Job simulator just fine and was even able to move and walk about in the game(and in real life) without encountering the "outside the play area" warning.

My only complaint is the resolution which tends to be very low in some games but is actually fine in others. Thumper, Rez, gnog, and some of the simpler looking games look fine but games like Driveclub, Kitchen demo look very bad, specially Driveclub which is a blurry mess. Games like Rigs and Until dawn also suffer from aliasing but they quickly immerse you in the game and all the action that you quickly forget about it.

Also the video apps so far offer atrocious video qualities even if you max out the resolution setting. A pity since some of them are actually very nice experiences. I was a tad disappointed in Allumette in that regard as it was a bit blurry(but still a very worth it VR experience).

Oh and you guys should definitely also try Playroom VR's Robot rescue. An amazing VR platformer. Probably the only VR game that actually made me feel like I'm in a different world and I'm interacting with real tiny robots.

I was scared at first with all your issues, but seeing that even with all this it was still pleasant I hope when I try it with PS4Pro I get instantly moved to buy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SvennoJ said:
SWORDF1SH said:
Try wearing it without glasses, I wear glasses and could see perfectly fine using PSVR without them. The light coming through the bottom, set up headset like normal and once set up lift the band up at the back of your head and you can close the gap up pretty good.

If you have to wear glasses for PSVR it works fine but not as great as using it wothout.

I tried it with Rez Infinite. Without glasses I can slide the display a little closer which reduces the gap at the bottom and increases the preceived fov somewhat. However my eyes are worse than the low res goggles, it's a lot harder to read text and keep track of all the moving things in Rez. One little benefit, screen door effect is impossible to notice without glasses lol.

Perhaps one day you'll be able to dial in your perscription in these headsets. I don't need glasses to get a clear picture through binoculars for example. (adjustable focus ones) I'm near sighted so if you could change the screen focal point to be nearer it would work fine for me.

Anyway, it's a minor inconvenience, once playing the edges don't really matter anymore :)

I also gave the earbuds a try, I'll stick to my headphones. They're not bad, just a bit harsh on the high frequencies.

Yep, I can see a personal head mount device being adjustable to most eyes needs in the near future.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

maybe I'm getting old, but i'm really not interested in spending a lot of time with that on my face.
Being even more cut from the rest of the world.

I need some time, maybe when there is actually great games using VR.