By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you had enough evidence to know that God is real, would you love Him or hate Him or what?

Tagged games:

If God was real, would you love and worship?

Yes, I would love and worship Him. 49 41.53%

No. And would not. 69 58.47%

Total:118
WagnerPaiva said:
JWeinCom said:

I sort of answered this in your other topic, but you need to clarify.

First off, as an atheist, I don't necessarily believe there is no god.   I am basically as sure as possible that god could not exist as depicted in the bible, but it's possible that there is something that meets some or all of the criteria you're mentioning.

I'm going to assume you mean god as he is portrayed in the bible.  In that case, I'd worship him.  If you've seen the Twilight Zone, there's an episode where there is a horrible child who is basically all powerful.  So, no matter how awful he is, everyone around him has to smile and nod, and pretend they love and worship him.  That's how I would feel about the god of the bible, if he was real.  I may think he's awful, but I don't want to be tortured or anything, so I'd do what he said.

This is why I wanted to do this thread, what a unique answer you gave me.

It is not the same of what Hitchens answered. He, as you, hates the God of the Bible, thinks He is bad. But Hitchens said that he would not worship this God, even if it was manifest. Your take is totally different. Very interesting.

So, just to be clear, I don't hate god of the bible.  I can't really hate someone if I don't believe is real.  Not to offend anyone, but I "hate" him in the same way I might hate the villain in a video game.

The difference is that Hitchens is a stubborn and prideful person.  I'm not.  I value my personal safety above almost everything else.  There are very few things I would be willing to put my life on the line for.  If someone has a gun to my head, I'm going to do what they say.  

Around the Network

Save me Lord !

Normchacho said:

Which god? I mean...I imagine it would be tough for me to be convinced that some being that showed up and claimed to be our creator was actually "god" and not just some form of extra-terrestrial.

But! If I was somehow convinced that it was god...I don't know. I could probably come around eventually. But it would be a pretty big rock to my whole worldview.

I imagine. Very col answer.

I did not want to say "if the God of the Bible was real, would you worship Him" because I wanted people to think more freely about it before answering, and I know a lot of people do not know the Bible very well, so there are multiple ways one can think about the Bible.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

I would ask this god, since you are all-powerful and supposedly can do anything, can you make a stone so heavy that not even you can lift? Can you do it or not?

I would ask him, do we really have freewill? If so, did Judas have true freewill? If he really had freewill it means there was a chance he wouldn't betray Jesus and his crucifixion would not go through, meaning your god's will not always goes through, what god intends not always happens.

I would ask him, if you god know it all, how much of a choice did Judas have when he, like Adam and Eve, were given a test by a god who knew all along how they would act in front of what this god put before them.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

JWeinCom said:
WagnerPaiva said:

This is why I wanted to do this thread, what a unique answer you gave me.

It is not the same of what Hitchens answered. He, as you, hates the God of the Bible, thinks He is bad. But Hitchens said that he would not worship this God, even if it was manifest. Your take is totally different. Very interesting.

So, just to be clear, I don't hate god of the bible.  I can't really hate someone if I don't believe is real.  Not to offend anyone, but I "hate" him in the same way I might hate the villain in a video game.

The difference is that Hitchens is a stubborn and prideful person.  I'm not.  I value my personal safety above almost everything else.  There are very few things I would be willing to put my life on the line for.  If someone has a gun to my head, I'm going to do what they say.  

I know a lot about Chris Hitchen hate towards God, and I think he hated God in this way: he read the Bible and considered God and Jesus Christ to be the vilains of the book. I read the Bible and to me God and Jesus are the heroes. So, his hate does not comes from belieth, but from thinking they are vilains and not heroes.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
I would ask this god, since you are all-powerful and supposedly can do anything, can you make a stone so heavy that not even you can lift? Can you do it or not?

I would ask him, do we really have freewill? If so, did Judas have true freewill? If he really had freewill it means there was a chance he wouldn't betray Jesus and his crucifixion would not go through, meaning your god's will not always go through.

I would ask him, if you god know it all, how much of a choice did Judas have when he, like Adam and Eve, were given a test by a god who knew all along how they would act in front of what this god put before them.

These are, I am sure that you know, the cornerstone questions from rational atheism. I would prefer if you had choose to answer in a more direct way, as Chris Hitchens did. He also use these two famous questions in every debate he did till he died.

But I take your answer is: My belief in a non-theistic reality is so rock solid that I can´t even imagine a answer to such a question.

WagnerPaiva said:

These are, I am sure that you know, the cornerstone questions from rational atheism. I would prefer if you had choose to answer in a more direct way, as Chris Hitchens did. He also use these two famous questions in every debate he did till he died.

But I take your answer is: My belief in a non-theistic reality is so rock solid that I can´t even imagine a answer to such a question.

Nope, these questions mean that the god in the Bible and how things supposedly work according to it do not make sense.

I used to be atheist. I now believe in something bigger than myself. My father passed away last year. I stayed with him during the wake, and after everyone left, it was just the 2 of us. After the funeral, and everyone was gone, I finally slept, and I got to talk with him in my dream. Even though he had passed, he was still trying to save me.

And my dog passed this last July. We took him to our ancestral land and buried him. A week later, I was at home, and I heard him sneeze, like he always used to sneeze. It freaked me the hell out.

Is god real? I have no idea. But there is something out there, and I now believe in a afterlife.

WagnerPaiva said:
JWeinCom said:

I know a lot about Chris Hitchen hate towards God, and I think he hated God in this way: he read the Bible and considered God and Jesus Christ to be the vilains of the book. I read the Bible and to me God and Jesus are the heroes. So, his hate does not comes from belieth, but from thinking they are vilains and not heroes.

A lot of christians will say that atheists are just atheists because they hate god.  As in, they actually do believe in him, but they are mad at him for whatever reason, and so they lie and say they don't.  Just clarifying that this is not the case for either me or Hitchens.

bunchanumbers said:
I used to be atheist. I now believe in something bigger than myself. My father passed away last year. I stayed with him during the wake, and after everyone left, it was just the 2 of us. After the funeral, and everyone was gone, I finally slept, and I got to talk with him in my dream. Even though he had passed, he was still trying to save me.

And my dog passed this last July. We took him to our ancestral land and buried him. A week later, I was at home, and I heard him sneeze, like he always used to sneeze. It freaked me the hell out.

Is god real? I have no idea. But there is something out there, and I now believe in a afterlife.

What's out there is your yearn for something beyond the grave, wishing for something bigger that has control over everything and gives justince in the end.

I wish that right now Scarlett Johanson would open this door behind me and rape me on this library table but what I want is not necessarily what will happen, will it?