By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Uncharted director criticizes triple-a development, says it can 'destroy people'

Tagged games:

DIdn't ND say that they had to throw out pretty much everything she did?
I'm honestly curious to see exactly how much work she puts in as a creative director working 80 hour work weeks.

Around the Network
naruball said:
Acevil said:

Wouldn't the delay still be the fault of the developer/publisher for announcing a date. More games should follow the Fallout 4 method of releasing. 

Errr. Didn't that launch with a lot of glitches/technical problems?

I meant in terms of announcing and releasing.  (It was brilliantly done, difference of like six months?)

Basically do the opposite of Square Enix in terms of announcing and releasing titles. 

Games are taking longer and longer to make, while technology is improving faster than the average consumer can keep up with.

Upon reading this, can you imagine being a cog in a machine releasing one of these huge games? You spend well over 40 hours a week on it, the game goes gold, but you gotta keep working on that day one patch. Game releases, and there's a good chance people shit on this thing you've spent thousands of hours building; and what if it flops? That's gotta be a gigantic hit to the morale. And yet you may still be required to keep working on further patches...

Acevil said:
naruball said:

Errr. Didn't that launch with a lot of glitches/technical problems?

I meant in terms of announcing and releasing.  (It was brilliantly done, difference of like six months?)

Yes, but obviously it would have been better if it was delayed for a month or two(?) to fix everything. I think releasing a game in such a state is 10 times worse than a delay.

The way is either make the development time larger, the teams larger or scope lower... all three would mean less money, so unless you convince the whole team to earn less or the mother company to make less money (none of those would happen) them it will keep the same.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
naruball said:
Acevil said:

Yes, but obviously it would have been better if it was delayed for a month or two(?) to fix everything. I think releasing a game in such a state is 10 times worse than a delay.

That is different argument, but I truthfully believe you will never have bethesda game with 99% glitch free experience without the audience pointing it out the glitches, no matter the time. 

(I need to word the sentence better, but what I mean to say is you will never have bethesda game glitch free)

Acevil said:
The_BlackHeart__ said:
The next time you want to rage for the delay of a game, remember: Developers are people too.

Wouldn't the delay still be the fault of the developer/publisher for announcing a date. More games should follow the Fallout 4 method of releasing. 

In terms of announcing and releasing. 

I doubt devs get much of a say about release dates when they have publishers breathing down their necks to acheive unrealistic timelines. Not all those people working 80+ hour weeks get a say in that release date, either.

The industry has gotten pretty vile and it's sad to hear that even Naughty Dog is not immune to the dark side of AAA development. I wish people would excercise a bit more patience and understanding for the sake of these individuals. No amount of gamer rage is worth the health, happiness, and family lives of these devs.

torok said:

Uncharted director criticizes triple-a development, says it can 'destroy people'

"

Interesting article thanks for sharing.

and people bitch about sony delays

This may be one reason why most AAA games are so unoriginal and derivative.
People need balance and some relax, otherwise they can't think straight.
I also can imagine taking risks and doing something that might not work may not be appealing when you already don't have time to meet deadlines.