By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Uncharted director criticizes triple-a development, says it can 'destroy people'

Tagged games:

Rob5VGC said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
This is why I hate graphics whores. It takes ten times as much effort to take a game from PS3 graphics to PS4 graphics. The difference is negligible. You could have a game world three times as big, and three times as many quests with dated graphics. But nooooo! People gotta have their 1080p 60 fps nonsense.

Agreed. I never cared for graphics. I honestly find it sickening how the graphics situation has gotten worse over the times. Can't even read a comment section without someone bringing it up. lol Doesn't help that Sony and Microsoft market it as well.

She's right and she's not the first to say that. Developing games is a demanding job.

Booohoo people with different taste shouldn't exist and games should only be made to my taste.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Drakrami said:
Wow... Didnt know NaughtyDogs were so hard working... Imagine what FromSoftware is up to after hearing that. They literally pumped out 5 souls game in like 7 years. And Souls games are not easy to make. They are deep, unique and have a rich lore.

More like 8-9 years because demon's souls didn't begin development the year it was released.

DonFerrari said:
Rob5VGC said:

Agreed. I never cared for graphics. I honestly find it sickening how the graphics situation has gotten worse over the times. Can't even read a comment section without someone bringing it up. lol Doesn't help that Sony and Microsoft market it as well.

She's right and she's not the first to say that. Developing games is a demanding job.

Booohoo people with different taste shouldn't exist and games should only be made to my taste.

If that is how you interpreted it then that is how you interpreted it.

To be fair, that era for Naughty Dog sounded particularly grueling, cranking out top tier games on strict two year development cycles would certainly be brutal for any dev. Cycles are practically twice as long at that level now so hopefully the day to day load is a bit lighter.

DonFerrari said:
pray4mojo said:

I don't know about you, but there's no amount of money that could make me work 12 hour days, 7 days a week. At that point, no matter how wealthy you are, you don't have time to enjoy ANY OF IT. 

We know about them... they are doing it, so either they like the money or the work, perhaps both... but I doubt they would appreciate a 50% cut. Would you like?

At their salary? Sure! I'd rather have less money and more happiness in my life.

Around the Network
pray4mojo said:

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to AAA development so maybe this isn't practical but why not just double the staff? I mean, we're talking about games that are funded by companies with billions to spend. Seems like a logical idea. If team A has X amount of employees and works 12 hour days 7 days a week, doubling the staff should theoretically allow them to work normal hours.

Extra employees are only part of the equation, most of the problem comes at the back end of the game cycle where the game is pretty much complete but needs to be brought up  to gold standard , the problem at this stage is not so much getting the game up to that standard but the fact that by that time all the printing and advertising is up and running and a sell by date is announced ,so time becomes the enemy and you need employees who know the game to finish it off , it is a real conundrum do you relax the time table and lengthen development time, with no guarentee that the extra costs in time and money will stop the crunch from happening.

I think a lot of AAA game producers and directors are like their film counterparts in that they work intensly on a title but are on very good packages with profit sharing and have the opportunity to then take down time and refresh before continuing on to a new project, to me it's those people on the lower end of the scale that need support.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I already feel tired working 40 hours a week. I can't even imagine how it would be working 80 hours a week. It's inhumane.

Dang, that just really sucks, It would be nice if devs could have regular work hours and have time to cool off and do other things. The way triple A companies are functioning now is unhealthy and just needs to stop.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Well you cant really make quality AAA game without real effort.

Rob5VGC said:
DonFerrari said:

If that is how you interpreted it then that is how you interpreted it.

Yes that is how I interpret, basically because that is how you are portraying it. There are already games that doesn't emphasize graphics if you want to buy them, so you don't need to be complaining about games that do because other people value that.

pray4mojo said:
DonFerrari said:

We know about them... they are doing it, so either they like the money or the work, perhaps both... but I doubt they would appreciate a 50% cut. Would you like?

At their salary? Sure! I'd rather have less money and more happiness in my life.

Do you know their salary? And It isn't only Amy that do that time, there are people with lower salaries on the crunch. But if haven't 3 sons perhaps you aren't in an equivalent position to them to know how much do you need and the sacrifice to achieve that. And of course, it isn't because you think that it's enough for you others will find the same.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."