By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the 3DS cross 70M LT?

StarOcean said:
It's been in the 50mill range for almost 3 years now, iirc. It's dead. It'll maybe make it to 63 if its lucky

Last year hit 50m, in June this year sales were at 60m, at end of this year with holiday season easily will pass 63m.

StarOcean said:
axumblade said:

What are you talking about? It just hit 50 million last year. 

Holiday boost + Pokemon boost will get it past 63 on its own. 

Did it? Well the system is so slow as of late that I lost interest tracking it

System is so slow!? Compare sales of 3DS with sales of Vita of Wii U for instance, 3DS is by far currently best selling console this gen and only PS4 will surprised it in one point this gen.

Around the Network

I dont think it will pass 70m but definitely can hit 70m, IMO it will end around 68m.

Nope probably reaches around 65m though.

I can see it hitting 70 million by the time it's discontinued, but not really any higher. I think 3DS will top out somewhere in the 67-70 million range. It'll be the lower end of that range if NX struggles, because Nintendo will quickly phase out 3DS to try and move consumers onto NX. If NX gets off to a good start, Nintendo can cut the price of 3DS even further, introduce more Selects, and keep the system on the market as a budget offering. Even then I can't see the 3DS stretching beyond 70 million. It's a conventional portable designed without the smartphone market in mind, and I don't think that type of device has much more head-room.

Ryng_Tolu said:

3DS official sales as for June 2016: 59.79 million. My predictions:

Q3 2016 - 1.50m (61.29m)
Q4 2016 - 4.50m (65.79m)
Q1 2017 - 0.70m (66.49m)
Q2 2017 - 0.50m (66.99m)
Q3 2017 - 0.45m (67.44m)
Q4 2017 - 1.20m (68.64m)
Q1 2018 - 0.30m (68.94m)
Q2 2018 - 0.25m (69.29m)
Q3 2018 - 0.20m (69.49m)
Q4 2018 - 0.50m (69.99m)

Another 10k in 2019 and here 70 million

3DS had already passed the 60 million mark as of beginning June:

http://nintendoeverything.com/may-2016-npd-nintendos-response-3ds-surpasses-60-million-worldwide-and-more/

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
StarOcean said:
It's been in the 50mill range for almost 3 years now, iirc. It's dead. It'll maybe make it to 63 if its lucky

Last year hit 50m, in June this year sales were at 60m, at end of this year with holiday season easily will pass 63m.

StarOcean said:

Did it? Well the system is so slow as of late that I lost interest tracking it

System is so slow!? Compare sales of 3DS with sales of Vita of Wii U for instance, 3DS is by far currently best selling console this gen and only PS4 will surprised it in one point this gen.

Of course it's selling better than the 2 worst selling systems this Gen. But that's a given... I'd still say the sales have slowed down considerably. I don't really care at this point but really -comparing its sales to the Wii U and Vita? That's basically saying, "It isnt doing great but look at these! they're doing WORSE!" -that doesn't make the 3DS look better

StarOcean said:
Miyamotoo said:

Of course it's selling better than the 2 worst selling systems this Gen. But that's a given... I'd still say the sales have slowed down considerably. I don't really care at this point but really -comparing its sales to the Wii U and Vita? That's basically saying, "It isnt doing great but look at these! they're doing WORSE!" -that doesn't make the 3DS look better

It's selling better than Xbox One as well...

Vinther1991 said:
StarOcean said:

It's selling better than Xbox One as well...

Alright? I don't see what point you're attempting to make. I'm saying its sales have slown. That doesn't mean it's doing bad or that it's doing worse than its competition. Hopefully that will make things more clear -but at this point, I doubt it with this reply

It has a chance to reach 70m but probably end up around 67m. I'd like to see how the Pokemon push is this holiday season. I see no reason why they can't take the 3DS/2DS till holiday 2017 at the least with the NX. Just because they release the NX doesn't mean they have to stop selling the 3DS.

Maybe with a price cut.... maybe....
But I don´t think so, It will probably end its commercial run with around 65-67 million, what would make it the 10th best selling console of all time. Not bad.