By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17

This is the most I've been looking forward to WrestleMania in A WHILE.
Since WrestleMania 30 and the height of the YES Movement to be exact.
There's something about the WrestleManias ending in '0' that has always had an extra kick to it.

WrestleMania 10 - Bret Hart bookending the show and kicking his feud w/ Owen to the next level + the HBK/Razor Ladder Match.
WrestleMania 20 - Eddie and Benoit.
WrestleMania 30 - Daniel Bryan's crowning moment + the End of the Streak.
WrestleMania 40 - Cody finishes the story + the End of the Tribal Chief's reign?

Around the Network

I think it might be since the one with Asuka vs Charlotte for me, the one that ended Asuka’s streak. Maybe more than that one.
Before that, it was probably Wrestlemania 20 (which I regret in retrospect).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Great show overall.

The main event was fire.

I hope the rumor that Cena and/or Stone Cold being a part of the show tomorrow is true

Good show overall. 7/10, if I had to rate it.
Sami/Gunther + the Main Event kinda had to save it at the end.
First two matches were great. The middle of the card? Disappointing, especially Jimmy/Jey.

Highlights
-Main event - Every spot was great, this was not a technical match but a great spectacle. 
-Sami vs Gunther IC title - I was going into this match with low expectations but surpassed them easily)
-Tag team title ladder match - absolutely loved it, glad they split the titles on different brands, wish they did this with the world titles but I guess it doesnt matter now
-Rhea vs Becky - I was cheering for Rhea the whole way, glad she won and great back to back

Low
-Jey and Jimmy Uso match - honestly it wasnt that good, presentation wasnt that good and they both didnt look like they were into it as much as they should have
-Womens 6 tag match - was not interested in this match at all so I didnt really watch it, just tuned out
-Mysterios, LWO, etc match - just couldnt get into it, again the Mysterios were the best part of the match, everyone else was not so interesting.

Cant wait to see how tonight turns out - excited most for the World title matches

Around the Network

Story. Finished.

In a main event that was overbooked to high hell, cameos from Cena and Undertaker (the one and only time in my entire life I was disappointed to hear the gong. I was really happy to see Taker, but MAN, I was READY for the glass shatter! XD)...
My absolute favorite part of this match, and quite possibly my FAVORITE piece of storytelling in wrestling history, this is how fucking GOOD it was!!!
When Roman was in the middle of the ring, w/ the chair in his hand. Cody is on one side of the ring. Seth is on the other. Both are struggling to get up. Roman has to make a decision.
And it should have been the EASIEST decision to make!!!
All he had to do was hit Cody, cover him, and retain the title. He could have ended Cody's story and continued his historic reign RIGHT THERE...
But he saw Seth in that Shield gear, w/ his back turned to him, he saw the chair in his own hands...
And that one fateful night in 2014 came RUSHING back...
When Seth took the chair to Roman's back, broke up the Shield, and betrayed him.
Roman NEVER got over it. That memory, and the pain, trauma, and heartbreak associated w/ it... He never moved on from it, it was STILL there! And it all came back in that one moment. In that ONE single, solitary moment: Nothing else mattered. Not Cody. Not The Rock. Not The Bloodline. Not WrestleMania. Not the title. All that mattered to him in that moment, was that night in 2014...
And he couldn't help himself.
He saw his chance at revenge...
And it cost him EVERYTHING!

(breathes) That... That right there... Moments like that! SHIT LIKE THAT!!
THAT is why I LOVE professional wrestling so fucking much!!!
An absolute masterclass in story-telling! It was BEAUTIFUL!!!

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 08 April 2024

Night 2 was amazing.

The main event was great. Stone cold appearing would have made it perfect but it was great as it would ever be.

The Story is now finished.

A new era begins now!

As disappointed as I was that Austin didn't show up, I'm perfectly fine w/ Undertaker.
And it makes just as much sense that he'd be the one to take out Rock and help Cody.
He may not have the history w/ Rock like Austin has. But he was the Heart and Soul of WWE for all those years. The leader. The conscience. The guy who always made sure things were fair and right. And he loves the wrestling business more than anything in the world. Respecting and honoring the art and integrity of the business means everything to him. So, when he sees Rock pulling all this shit to blatantly support his family and screw Cody over - Disrespecting the integrity of the business in the process, he'd take great offense to that and feel compelled to step in and do something about it, fix this himself, and put Rock in his place.

This is one of my favourite Wrestlemanias of all time. The Paul Levesque era (or whatever they decide to call it, Atti-two-de era?...... Just kidding!) is off to a strong start, and this is just the beginning. They're already shedding the PG stuff. When Netflix hits, there will be no more of blanking out audio.

But damn, that show was something. And while the midcard matches weren't to the same level as the others, they also were noticeably much shorter, all of the others were at least 50% longer and had fewer people to work with (Usos aside), so better opportunities to build stories. While the Usos match should have and could have been better, I still thought it was pretty good for its 10 or so minutes. I thought Jade Cargill, Naomi, and Bianca vs Damage CTRL was decent as well, but you could tell the cold was getting to Jade, but Naomi seemed untouched by it - I think this match was as good as it could have been given it was like 5-6 minutes - Asuka still has great presence, but I'd like to see her return to singles - that's where she really thrives. Also, Truth got one of the biggest pops of the entire night when he grabbed the tag belts.

Sami Zayn vs Walter was a great match. Walter will undoubtedly be one of the World title pictures very soon. I think Sami will be another great IC champ, and hopefully reigns for the rest of the year, until Royal Rumble at least. A world title is in Sami's future. Any way, Sami Zayn vs Walter was NXT Golden era great as a match, the guy knows how to put on a show.

CM Punk's surprise was not that surprising, I had a feeling he was going to get involved somehow, and also that the money in the bank was happening, likely in relation to this match. I didn't know which one Punk would take out, but it was one or the other. Anyway, this new title might lead to the end of the Judgment Day - jealousy is the main reason heel stables fall apart :D

Either that, Or the stable goes babyface in the coming months.

This Wrestlemania did something different than others, it carried story threads through the event. I really enjoyed it, seeing what happened, and how those stories would continue, and I'm looking forward to the continuation of that, tonight.

Here are some bits:

Punk echoes Roddy Piper:

And he thanks Triple H for believing in him: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ZBPYx5gIkrs

It seems everyone really liked Triple H, this is a very different sort of feeling than the Vince McMahon era.

The Rock cuts a promo on AJ Styles

R-Truth and Biz backstage:

This is his first Wrestlemania moment? Aside from The Rock, R Truth is the last standing guy in WWE from The Attitude Era.

Mysterio is the next earliest, but he came in just a few months after the end of the era, July 2002. Miz is close to his 20 year anniversary, he's been there since Tough Enough 2004.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 08 April 2024

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.